Maybe we are too critical (1 Viewer)

Hope yall enjoy another 7 win (at most) season '23...get at me 4 games into '24 when he gets fired/resigns

Honestly, I don't understand how any Saints fan could come away from last season thinking that retaining DA is a good thing.

In 2021, the Saints had an NFL record of missed starts by starters, had to manage 3 different starting QB's throughout the year, the division had a legit contender in it, played a game against Miami (a loss) that should not have been played and still finished 9-8 and had a chance to make the playoffs, I came away from that season thinking CSP was a coach of the year candidate.

In 2022, injuries, but fewer than 2021, the division is the worst in football, just begging to be taken. And DA, playing conservative, not to loss type football (which we have seen before) leads us to 4-9....season was over then, add a few meaningless wins (against teams as bad as we were) to get to 7-10. I came away from last season feeling DA couldn't have screwed up worse as a HC.....

When you look at the elite teams in the league, they are a total team. We thought we had a total team but then Mike Thomas went down, and then Winston, then Kamara was out a couple games, then we lost Lattimore, and even Adebo was out, then Werner. Plus we had a semi-hard schedule. So let's just be honest, we struggled. The core team was never in tact. I say let's see what happens one more year.

I mean... injury wise it looks a little worse than 2021.. while SP was dealing with QB issues that were larger.. the lines were much worse in 2022 both sides.

So what was it 2 game difference?
An if Saints had something to really play for such as a playoff spot I honestly believe saints beat Carolina.
Ya dont say....

I mean... injury wise it looks a little worse than 2021.. while SP was dealing with QB issues that were larger.. the lines were much worse in 2022 both sides.

An if Saints had something to really play for such as a playoff spot I honestly believe saints beat Carolina.
If this thread was anything like that other thread get your popcorn out. Oh look I found it. :)

Season on the line, Kamara on the sidelines with Taysom Hill and Dalton to Calloway on a slant was called on 3rd and 1.
Running the ball around 80% of the time on 2nd and 10.
Confusion on how to get Kamara into the passing game when its week 15.
Inconsistent use of Taysom Hill on 3rd/4th and 1.
CJGJ debacle in training camp, Allen and CJGJ reported to chirp at one another.
Winston debacle.
Not finding more ways to get Shaheed the ball until the very end of the season.

Loomis needs to hire the best man for the job if possible. Idc what Sean Payton thinks is best for the Saints, that's Loomis' job.
That's largely how the NFL works, not saying it's right or anything. Most coaching hires are made through close contacts.

One thing that could have factored into the decision was not wanting to lose DA as a play caller. We don’t know if someone like Pederson would have kept DA or brought in his own guy. The current setup of the defensive side of the roster might not have been a good match with some of the systems those guys wanted to run. I can see the logic at the time in wanting to keep the defense intact and adding a couple of pieces on offense to help Winston.

Scared money, don't make no money.

No. They are just a poorly coached, aging, bad team.

Actually I think most saints fans on the forum and irl or pretty fair with their criticism but there are always those that go over board. Even here It's the same people complaining in every thread over and over again. I'm at this point a 100% would not be surprise that one of them will eventually blame DA and PC for their failed marriage.

Lower your expectations lower your frustration. And some people's expectation was just ridiculous and still is. We all know that DA inherit a bad situation left from Payton regime but at the same time DA did not maximize his opportunities and made mistakes in Game situations and transactions. All the complaining doesn't change the fact that with same roster a HOF coach with 16 yrs experience Won 2 more games then a coach whos been a Def Coord for last 10 yrs which is where I guess a beginning. between 7-10 wins. Saints might take a few years to get back winning consistently we need a QB, OL and even DL with Jordan aging. The fact that these 3 have question marks we won't have winning seasons no matter who's the coach.

With the oldest roster in the NFL.
Let's see
Starting LT would've been a beast if not injured out the gates
Peat no heart wouldn't have mattered anyway
Lost starting Center for a large chunk of games and most teams historically have fallen off with a Center injury midway through or end of season
Calvin Throckmorton ????
Ryan Ramzyk had a down year for him but still is the only real consistent thing on the oline.

Dline
Onyemata not the same since the enhancement suspension
Granderson is serviceable but not great
Cameron Jordan is a Iron man
Malcolm Roach is on again off again.

We need fresh beasts on the lines.
Grandpa Ingram wasn't doing much
We grabbed David Johnson.. I use to get him in fantasy football when that was invented
Then you have Alvin who had small flashes here and there but ultimately was a running back that's lost all of his quick evasive actions... but for one game.. it's more mental on him.
Why do people say this about Alvin?! Just because Pete ran him into 8 man boxes like he’s a 230 pound power back doesn’t mean he lost his quickness.

There is critical as in "judging severely and finding fault" and there is critical as in "careful analysis." The screenshots you posted don't reflect "careful analysis". The total numbers you posted don't tell the entire story. The Saints may have listed more players as injured in 2022 than 2021, but we have to look at who was injured. Just to give one example, in 2022, D'Marco Jackson was listed as on IR for 16 games (the Saints drafted in the 5th round, and placed him on injury reserve at the beginning of the offseason). He accounted for 16 IR games in 2022. So he adds to the injury totals, but it is not significant beyond a 5th round pick who you have no idea if he was even going to make the team or not.

So we have to look at who got injured. And since the deficiency between 2021 and 2022 was on offense:

I know that Kamara played 2 more games in 2022 than 2021.
I know that Taysom played 4 more games in 2022 than in 2021.
I know that MT played 3 more games in 2022 than in 2021.
I know that in 2021 The Saints ended up starting a part-time QB and the PS QB in a 5-game span because both the starter and the backup QBs got injured.
I know that the injury to MT left the Saints with Marquez Callaway and Tre'Quan Smith as #1 and #2 WRs in 2021, as compared to the Saints having Olave and Rashid in 2022, the latter being criminally under-utilized by the coaching staff.

As for the lines, we could look at what happened on the field instead of making generalized assumptions and subjective comments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom