Mayock's Look At The Draft: Cornerbacks and other draft articles (1 Viewer)

lurking around

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Mayock's Look At The Draft: Cornerbacks

POSTED: Monday, April 15, 2013, 2:30 PM

Paul Domowitch

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock is breaking down each of the positions in the draft for the Daily News. Today he looks at the cornerbacks:

CORNERBACK

THE BEST

Dee Milliner

Alabama

6-0, 201

40-time: 4.35

Vertical Jump: 36.0 inches

Arms: 32.0 inches

Round Projection: 1

Mayock: ``The 40 he ran at the combine erased any questions people had about his long speed. He’s a top-10 corner. He does everything well. He can press. He can play off. He will tackle.

``What I’ve seen on tape is a tough, instinctive guy who will hit you, which I love. I love a corner that will tackle. When you come out of Nick Saban’s program, especially when you’re a defensive back, which Nick takes a big interest in as a former defensive backs coach, you’re well-coached.’’
Mayock's Look At The Draft: Cornerbacks

Mayock's look at the draft: safety

POSTED: Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 1:02 PM

Paul Domowitch

For the last two weeks, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock has been breaking down each of the positions in the draft for the Daily News. In today’s final breakdown, he looks at the safeties:

SAFETY

THE BEST

Kenny Vaccaro, Texas (6-0, 214)

40-time: 4.59

225-bench: 15 reps

Vertical Jump: 38.0 inches

Arms: 32 3/4 inches

Projected Round: 1

Mayock: "This is the deepest safety class I’ve seen in a long time and Vaccaro is the best of the group. He should go in the top 20 He came down and played over the slot. He’s quick-footed. He will tackle. It’s hard to watch his tape this year because he’s hardly ever in a deep half or deep third (coverage). But you can go back to his junior year tape and see a bunch of that. He didn’t run well at the combine, but to me, he’s plenty fast enough."
Mayock's look at the draft: safety

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top offensive linemen in the draft next week.

Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

TACKLES

1. LUKE JOECKEL, Texas A&M (6-6, 307, 5.30, 1) - Third-year junior started all 39 games at LT. "Look," one scout said. "There are times he gets rag-dolled. But you also have a pretty sure bet. What you see is what you get. He will start at left tackle and be real good." The son of a trial lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas, he scored 28 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. "Joeckel comes from a well-to-do family so he doesn't have that hunger that a lot of people have," another scout said. "He's not a flat-out, Walter Jones type, but he's every bit as good as Joe Thomas is. He's not a Hall of Famer, but he's really good." Arm length (34 ¼ inches) and hand size (10 1/8 inches) are good, not great. "He's just like Matt Kalil's double," a third scout said. "He's a great athlete with great technique. The only negative I have is he's not a powerful person. He gets pushed at times. I worry about him on the power."

2. ERIC FISHER, Central Michigan (6-7 ½, 304, 5.07, 1) - Only offers out of Stoney Creek (Mich.) High School were Eastern Michigan and CMU. "Just a late bloomer," said Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl and a former personnel man for the Browns and Ravens. "He wasn't perfect at the Senior Bowl, but he was impressive. He looks like a pro. He's played in a two-point and a three-point (stance); it hasn't been all spread. You see him block down and use his hands. I think he's a little more ready to play today than Joeckel as far as the strength factor." Made 28 of his 34 starts at LT. Put on 60 pounds since arriving in Mount Pleasant, Mich. "First thing that jumped out at me was his ability to bend," Tennessee scout Johnny Meads said. "He's tough and physical enough. He has everything you want." Son of a postal worker in Rochester, Mich. Wonderlic of 23.
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen

For all the red flags that went up about Manti Te’o after he admitted being the victim of a long-distance girlfriend hoax, what matters most to NFL teams is how he performs on the football field.

And even though Te’o was a highly decorated player and Heisman Trophy finalist last season, there’s a split among scouts as to whether the linebacker is worth a first-round draft pick.

For all of the good football Te’o played last season for Notre Dame, his slow (4.82-second) 40 time at the scouting combine confirmed concerns many NFL scouts had after watching game film that Te’o would have trouble keeping up with tight ends and running backs in pass coverage.
http://www.packersnews.com/article/...er-Manti-Te-o-1st-round-worthy?nclick_check=1

Maybe Tavon Austin is too small at 5-foot-8½ and 174 pounds to do only one thing in the NFL.

But fill his to-do list, pile the duties high, and Austin is big enough to be the best multitasker on this year's draft board, a projected top-10 pick because he brings so much to the football party beyond what the measuring tape says.

"A lot of teams are looking for a guy who can do multiple things on the football field," said Austin, a West Virginia product. "I think I'm that guy."

A lot of teams are looking for that guy, but the list is short for those considered do-it-all talents. They are the R guys — runners, receivers and returners — and the good ones are a fundamental problem for defensive coordinators.
The more you can do: WR Tavon Austin leads NFL draft's do-it-all guys - The Denver Post

TOP FIVE

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

5-8½, 175 lbs., 40 Time: 4.35

Scouts at Austin’s pro day in West Virginia were blown away by his speed, especially when seeing it in person. Sometimes we get numb to seeing sub-4.4 40-yard dash times, but seeing how someone like Austin can use it to his advantage, it changes the dynamic entirely. He’s one of the top playmakers in the entire draft and could instantly change a team.

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

6-2, 216 lbs., 40 Time: 4.4

His size, strength and speed immediately jump off the charts, although it will be his rawness that scares teams initially. There’s a chance Patterson can be a top-10 pick, but it won’t be without the hope that whoever selects him can polish his route tree. At the end of the day, though, he has the goods that you can’t teach.
NFL Draft 2013: Tavon Austin has worked his way to top of class for receivers | NJ.com

Early draft picks to be weighted toward O-line

on April 19, 2013 - 12:01 AM

, updated April 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM

This is the sixth of an eight-part

series previewing the NFL draft April 25-27. Today’s installment: offensive linemen.

By Jay Skurski

News Sports Reporter

As many as three offensive tackles could hear their names called in the first seven picks of the NFL Draft next week at New York’s Radio City Music Hall.

Another two guards might not have to wait much longer.

It’s a good year to be a big ugly.

“Obviously you keep hearing about the same couple of guys, and it is a good left tackle draft,” said Doug Majeski, the Bills’ coordinator of college scouting. “It’s a little bit unique that you get guys with the prototypical size and length and athleticism.”
Early draft picks to be weighted toward O-line - Sports - The Buffalo News

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom