Mayor Cantrell says Superdome is still not ready for 20,000 fans; tells Saints they are welcome to play at Tiger Stadium (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
Game was rescheduled due to a Covid "outbreak" on the Florida squad. As far as I've heard, it had nothing to do with the LSU team or Tiger Stadium.

Damarabi

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was there at Tiger Stadium for quite a few Saints games back when. I liked the venue but apparently the team didn't because they stunk it up.

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Expect if I read Underhill's tweet right not having any events in the Superdome means losses due to expenses and debt payment come from the state's general fund. So all of Louisiana is being hurt by her decision, not just New Orleans.

I just want her to justify her decision when all the science says it's safe.
Don’t hold your breath (however in the age of Covid you might want to).

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I understand her trepidation and will not criticize any leader for using an abundance of caution in these uncharted waters.

That said, what do 20,000 spread out fans in Baton Rouge really do for us? It isn’t like the financial impact would be anything more than a pint glass out of an ocean of this year’s revenue losses . I’d rather keep our players in familiar surroundings and keep the offense indoors as much as possible. Stay in the Superdome.
This Dink and dunk version of the team is no longer built for turf. Having some fans to give an emotional lift will be more important than the surface of the field. 25% of Tiger Stadium > 25% of Superdome, plus it may be 50% of Tiger Stadium soon which would mean over 70% of season ticket holders could go if they choose to.

jasonsw

Swimmer is my friend
Reaction score
Four... Saints and their opponents are exposed in the facilities at Tiger stadium on Sunday, the day following an SEC game, just having been occupied by two college teams. I guess they'll take proper precautions that meet the NFL guidelines.
Good one. That one didn't even enter my mind

MV2

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Actually very few watched the NBA have a successful Covid free Playoffs without fans.
Ok good for them. They aren't real NBA fans if the games were being played and they didn't tune in. I don't care if I had to get rabbit ears and watch the Saints play in Moscow I'd be right in front my TV every time!

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Seeing how so many of y'all are all up in your feelings about this, I tried to find out what is driving some of the opinions that are portrayed as facts and I came up with nada. There is no scientific data that states that the Dome is ready for 20k fans because there isn't a public record of such a study being performed. There is a comment from SMG saying that they can support 17.5% of occupancy for the Dome and equals out to about 13k.

“The Saints have been particularly good at using their business models to help us create a seating manifest that allows us to adhere to the six-foot distancing rule but also increase the capacity,” Thornton said. “If we just took the six-foot rule and applied it on its face without any sort of creativity you would bring your capacity to 17.5 percent, that would be about 13,000 fans in stands.”
Now for Cantrell, her decision to allow fans is a greater one than the SMG's capabilities. The City has instituted furloughs on its employees, including NOPD, and those numbers have to be weighed in when deciding to open the Dome to fans. If they can't pay police to do their regular duties, how are they to pay for a special event?

I'm from NOLA and most of my family lives there, but I live outside the city and I'm no fan of Cantrell. I think everyone that has served on that council for as long as she has is corrupt. That being said, I do not believe her decision about allowing fans is a corrupt one. There are many more variables to that decision that most of you have even considered, all you know is that she's a D, and that's all that matters.

I, on the other hand, have beef with her because she has not been forthcoming about the decision to have fans at the game, but she can't help herself because she's a poor mayor whose greatest failure is her communication skills. Even in her statement today, she was vague about her reasoning. Her press conferences are embarrassing to me. She is overly combative and she's always trying to sound like she's cool. Funk that, you the Mayor, act like it.

Last edited:

MV2

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Right we don't need people to have stadium jobs, restraunt jobs, or basically ANY other jobs that involve person to person contact. Do you know how many businesses depend on there being games and other events in the 'Dome? How much money this team brings to NOLA? Apparently not if you think their lives are "empty" or this is a trivial matter....
The saints play 8 home games a year. Let's not act like these folks eat all year long because the Dome is open for 8 weeks. And no I don't care about someone making 8 weeks of pay less in a year if it means protecting the masses. You must not have had someone you know affected by Covid to place money over life. Sad.

MV2

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I'm really surprised to hear Saints fans willing to risk the well being of the majority of people so that a sport that has become about as real as the WWE can be played. I love the Saints, but the past 3 years have shown me the place it should have in folk's lives. But carry on....✌

St4ever

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would rather see them play at Tulane stadium! Like a throwback stadium. It’s outdoors and it’s basically new. Doesn’t even have artificial turf also?

jdl1201

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This woman doesn’t care about New Orleans. Once this is over she will follow in the steps of Morial and Nagin and move out of town. Any word on if Mitch has moved yet? At least Sid Barthelemew has stuck around town.
Im not sure if i would count C. Ray moving "out of town" as voluntary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)