Mayor Cantrell says Superdome is still not ready for 20,000 fans; tells Saints they are welcome to play at Tiger Stadium (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjharris

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think Latoya is waiting for the suicide/overdose deaths, because of the lockdown, to surpass the COVID deaths. Then she'll allow people to reopen their business.
Maybe if we start a Go fund me for her to pay her back taxes she'll let us go back to work.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a captivating stat and story line that sadly far too many people have bought since March, but having COVID-19 when you die is decidedly different than dying from it. Believe what you want, but according to data from the CDC and countless health care professionals being censored across the nation, COVID-19 still has a ways to go in order to catch up to automobile deaths.

P.S. - you are definitely virtue signaling.
Unless you're talking about a different CDC and NHTSA, your comments are way off base.

According to the CDC, there have been 216,000+ confirmed Covid related deaths this year.

According to NHTSA, in 2018, the most recent year numbers available, 36,560 died as a result of automobile accidents.

:shrug:

Pocket Hercules

Always Locked In
Reaction score
Unless you're talking about a different CDC and NHTSA, your comments are way off base.

According to the CDC, there have been 216,000+ Covid related deaths this year.

According to NHTSA, in 2018, the most recent year numbers available, 36,560 died as a result of automobile accidents.

:shrug:
Dig deeper.

Reaction score
Hopefully the Saints move to BR for the rest of the season as a take it or leave it deal. No "we'll play in the dome in week 10 or 11" but "If we go to Tiger Stadium, its for the entire 2020 season."

I can't wait to see what happens when cantrell tells the NBA no fans in January 2021 if that target date comes to pass when the NBA starts up again.

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The entirety of Orleans parish has suffered ~500 total deaths due to COVID. Even if that number is 100% accurate, why is that kid acting like we're talking about the Black Plague? Can he tell us how many of those deaths were from "selfish indulgence"? Nope.

Any death is tragic of course, but it sure seems like the response to this thing is destroying far more lives than the virus itself! Is Mr Goodie Goodie virtue going to open his home to all the people put out on the streets? Of course not.

But he thinks he's better than you and me, because like sooooo many others, he can get on his keyboard and be a Karen and tell us that we're horrible terrible no-good people because we don't think it's sustainable to lock down and do nothing for - well - apparently an indefinite period of time. Jobs? F em! Kids going to school? F em! Small businesses closing by the tens of thousands? F em! Just got evicted? F you! But he's our moral superiors, he's just so so caring and concerned for others you see.
This post, more than any other I have read anywhere on this forum or elsewhere, is the most succinct illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect at work I have ever seen. It is also premised on the completely flawed (in fact, completely false) premise that opening everything up and empowering people to make their own decisions (thereby creating the optimal conditions for the virus to spread which will lead to more hospitalisations and more deaths) is in the long-term economic interests of the state or the country when in fact the opposite is true.

The combination of confidence and idiocy is a dangerous mix. Regrettably, you have both in spades.

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
On the other hand, since we're tossing out speculative numbers, probably closer to 100% of the globe has been damaged by our continued overreaction. People are a much bigger problem than COVID-19, amongst other things.
If you were alive during World War 2, you would have complained about not being able to take a vacation to France in 1943.

NativeFan

Reaction score
This post, more than any other I have read anywhere on this forum or elsewhere, is the most succinct illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect at work I have ever seen. It is also premised on the completely flawed (in fact, completely false) premise that opening everything up and empowering people to make their own decisions (thereby creating the optimal conditions for the virus to spread which will lead to more hospitalisations and more deaths) is in the long-term economic interests of the state or the country when in fact the opposite is true.

The combination of confidence and idiocy is a dangerous mix. Regrettably, you have both in spades.
There's only one group of people who use "Dunning-Kruger" in Internet debates. Congrats you've just outed yourself and proved all my suspicions correct.

Covid was tailor-made for you guys to go around and flout your virtuous moral and faux-intillectual superiority. All while getting a power trip over seeing your leaders tell millions of Americans how they should live and what their priorities should be under the guise of "public safety".

This isn't March anymore. You're talking points need a refresh I think, they are pretty old and outdated.

PAPACHUCK

WhoDat4Sure
Reaction score
This is exactly why the Saints should build a new stadium outside of city limits, like on the northshore or down in bayou country. Anywhere there is no Democrats running the show. A lot of people want to say this covid thing isn't political, it most certainly is. The Democrat party has used the covid virus as a political ploy to further their power grab. Take the money away and they lose their power. I like the name "The Louisiana Saints".

NativeFan

Reaction score
Thank you for at least admitting that our reaction has been more more reaching and damaging than the virus itself, because nowhere even in the same area code of 90% of the globe has been infected with COVID-19. On the other hand, since we're tossing out speculative numbers, probably closer to 100% of the globe has been damaged by our continued overreaction. People are a much bigger problem than COVID-19, amongst other things.
If 90% of the globe had gotten infected with COVID, we would already be at herd immunity. But shhhhh, don't tell him that, he's the super genius here and we're all just plebs.

rob22278

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
TBH, I think spending everyday with their loved ones is what upset people the most. When forced to stay home - amongst the people they deliberately brought into their lives - a lot of folks couldn't handle it.

They wanted distractions; something a little less boring. They wanted someone else to watch their kids for most of the day. I never realized how badly parents needed their kids to be in a school. Not necessarily to be learning, but they just needed that building to be open to receive them LOL.

That's my half-baked theory. Something I've almost convinced myself of watching it all play out.

Sooner or later things will be back to 'normal' and we'll find other things to rage against. Just gotta wait it out. Make short-term sacrifices in some cases.
You obviously don’t have kids. The repercussions from a generation of kids that have fallen behind due to substandard or no learning will end up costing the economy trillions when this virus is gone.
And that doesn’t even mention the social aspects of pulling kids out of a structured environment like school and isolating them at home for months at a time. I’m sure studies will be done down the road to prove this point. Child psychologists are already addressing it.
And which groups will be hurt the most? The poor and minorities.
But you want to Lol about it? Ok

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
I don’t really want to put politics into this but here it goes. New Orleans has had crooks all levels of government for a long time. You can start by looking at the fact that the last time there was a republican mayor was in 1868 and he only served 1/2 of a term. Ernest Morial had some shady things going on but he was probably the least corrupt recent mayor. Mark Morial was more concerned with taking the leap into a run for POTUS or the VP. Nagin was a crook and I haven’t even mentioned Jefferson’s freezer full of cash he got from a crooked deal.
I love New Orleans and would love to see a decent mayor from either side of the isle come in and get things straightened out and get New Orleans back to the pearl of the south again.
The two Morials are the best of the bunch, going a very long ways back, and zero jail time.

I guess getting the Dome built took some political skills and keeping the Saints here also. Getting the Saints must have involved something positive. Louisiana is an interesting place.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nor I for you. It's your choice to swallow what you are spoonfed, or critically question what you are being told by digging beneath the surface for yourself.
What digging deeper are you talking about? Be specific or cite you source. I gave 2 numbers that came directly from the sites that debunked your claim that Covid was resulting in fewer deaths than vehicle accidents. You claimed that was from the CDC, both the CDC and NHTSA track those numbers. Instead of admitting you're wrong, you say dig deeper? You're going to tell me what exactly I'm looking for, otherwise you're wasting everyone's time. I can't read your mind.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Not if your life included seeing the Saints in the Superdome. It sounds like the mayor will tell you when you can go on with that part of your life.
---
On a somewhat related note, people act like they were doing soooo many awesome things before shutdown. When all most of us were doing was going to work and school, to restaurants and bars, shopping or church. Yaaay life.

People literally up in arms because they couldn't go into certain buildings. Our egos tell us we were doing super fun, super important stuff. But not really. We were just going around to different buildings, then coming back home.
People are running out of places to take selfies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DerrickB Jeff Duncan: Mayor Cantrell May Allow Fans this Sunday [THREAD CLOSED] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
Walker: Props to Saints, mayor for coming up with reasonable plan to allow fans back in Dome Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints, New Orleans Mayor meet to discuss return of fans to Superdome for games Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette New Orleans mayor has no qualms about Saints playing at LSU SR News Page Articles 0
New Orleans mayor has no qualms about Saints playing at LSU Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints QB Drew Brees teams up with LaToya Cantrell for new coronavirus PSA Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints, LaToya Cantrell reach compromise for 3,000 fans to attend Panthers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
LaToya Cantrell says Saints' idea to play at Tiger Stadium is 'a good solution for right now' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Payton says he's closer to being "a lot" worried about the secondary than he is to not being worried; says the breakdowns are a "$6 mil" question Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 71
Marquez Callaway says he's 'all good' after injury late in big game, win over Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints coach Sean Payton says WR Michael Thomas' discipline is over SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, October 19: Michael Thomas says he will return next week Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints WR Michael Thomas says he'll be back next week for Panthers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0