Mayor Cantrell says Superdome is still not ready for 20,000 fans; tells Saints they are welcome to play at Tiger Stadium (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post, more than any other I have read anywhere on this forum or elsewhere, is the most succinct illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect at work I have ever seen. It is also premised on the completely flawed (in fact, completely false) premise that opening everything up and empowering people to make their own decisions (thereby creating the optimal conditions for the virus to spread which will lead to more hospitalisations and more deaths) is in the long-term economic interests of the state or the country when in fact the opposite is true.

The combination of confidence and idiocy is a dangerous mix. Regrettably, you have both in spades.

There's only one group of people who use "Dunning-Kruger" in Internet debates. Congrats you've just outed yourself and proved all my suspicions correct.

Covid was tailor-made for you guys to go around and flout your virtuous moral and faux-intillectual superiority. All while getting a power trip over seeing your leaders tell millions of Americans how they should live and what their priorities should be under the guise of "public safety".

This isn't March anymore. You're talking points need a refresh I think, they are pretty old and outdated.

This is exactly why the Saints should build a new stadium outside of city limits, like on the northshore or down in bayou country. Anywhere there is no Democrats running the show. A lot of people want to say this covid thing isn't political, it most certainly is. The Democrat party has used the covid virus as a political ploy to further their power grab. Take the money away and they lose their power. I like the name "The Louisiana Saints".

Thank you for at least admitting that our reaction has been more more reaching and damaging than the virus itself, because nowhere even in the same area code of 90% of the globe has been infected with COVID-19. On the other hand, since we're tossing out speculative numbers, probably closer to 100% of the globe has been damaged by our continued overreaction. People are a much bigger problem than COVID-19, amongst other things.

If 90% of the globe had gotten infected with COVID, we would already be at herd immunity. But shhhhh, don't tell him that, he's the super genius here and we're all just plebs.

TBH, I think spending everyday with their loved ones is what upset people the most. When forced to stay home - amongst the people they deliberately brought into their lives - a lot of folks couldn't handle it.

They wanted distractions; something a little less boring. They wanted someone else to watch their kids for most of the day. I never realized how badly parents needed their kids to be in a school. Not necessarily to be learning, but they just needed that building to be open to receive them LOL.

That's my half-baked theory. Something I've almost convinced myself of watching it all play out.

Sooner or later things will be back to 'normal' and we'll find other things to rage against. Just gotta wait it out. Make short-term sacrifices in some cases.
You obviously don’t have kids. The repercussions from a generation of kids that have fallen behind due to substandard or no learning will end up costing the economy trillions when this virus is gone.
And that doesn’t even mention the social aspects of pulling kids out of a structured environment like school and isolating them at home for months at a time. I’m sure studies will be done down the road to prove this point. Child psychologists are already addressing it.
And which groups will be hurt the most? The poor and minorities.
But you want to Lol about it? Ok

I don’t really want to put politics into this but here it goes. New Orleans has had crooks all levels of government for a long time. You can start by looking at the fact that the last time there was a republican mayor was in 1868 and he only served 1/2 of a term. Ernest Morial had some shady things going on but he was probably the least corrupt recent mayor. Mark Morial was more concerned with taking the leap into a run for POTUS or the VP. Nagin was a crook and I haven’t even mentioned Jefferson’s freezer full of cash he got from a crooked deal.
I love New Orleans and would love to see a decent mayor from either side of the isle come in and get things straightened out and get New Orleans back to the pearl of the south again.

The two Morials are the best of the bunch, going a very long ways back, and zero jail time.

I guess getting the Dome built took some political skills and keeping the Saints here also. Getting the Saints must have involved something positive. Louisiana is an interesting place.

Nor I for you. It's your choice to swallow what you are spoonfed, or critically question what you are being told by digging beneath the surface for yourself.

What digging deeper are you talking about? Be specific or cite you source. I gave 2 numbers that came directly from the sites that debunked your claim that Covid was resulting in fewer deaths than vehicle accidents. You claimed that was from the CDC, both the CDC and NHTSA track those numbers. Instead of admitting you're wrong, you say dig deeper? You're going to tell me what exactly I'm looking for, otherwise you're wasting everyone's time. I can't read your mind.

Not if your life included seeing the Saints in the Superdome. It sounds like the mayor will tell you when you can go on with that part of your life.
---
On a somewhat related note, people act like they were doing soooo many awesome things before shutdown. When all most of us were doing was going to work and school, to restaurants and bars, shopping or church. Yaaay life.

People literally up in arms because they couldn't go into certain buildings. Our egos tell us we were doing super fun, super important stuff. But not really. We were just going around to different buildings, then coming back home.
People are running out of places to take selfies.

Just so we’re clear on her position, have I got this right:

Fans going to Superdome, attending football game, bad idea.
Fans going to Tiger Stadium, attending football game, good idea.

Kudos to the Mayor for keeping New Orleans “safe” from the virus 🙄

Covid 19 isnt going anywhere, and by this time next year if were still doing the same things, it wont be the only diseases plaguing our communities (aka mental health issues).

Humans need a purpose, most (imo) gain that from work. New Orleans is top 5 in small business closures. Removing the ability to work/survive due to measures the CCP would be proud of is going to do more harm than CoV-19 could ever do.

I get it. We love our sports. The Saints, etc... it's important, especially now, and for many it's a way of life. It's tradition. But let's look at the other side of the coin for a moment.

Humor me. Imagine you're the elected official who can greenlight this. You know your state has rising corona cases even after mask mandates, stay-at-home orders, and all the precautions you can speak about. Now you give in to public pressure to allow minimum capacity seating at a game. 20k? 10k? less? I don't know.

Best case scenario, folks show up, Saints win, everyone has a great time, no new cases. Worst case, folks show up and regardless of the Saints winning or not, we have a spreader event. Something happened, we have new cases, we have more burden on the hospitals, testing facilities, the fear, and now the liability as it was your decision to allow it. Keep in mind the public rarely blames itself, it is they that wanted it, and you're an elected official in a state with already rising cases. No one will remember how much they complained about wanting to be in a crowd, they'll only remember you allowing it to happen. Now you feel responsible for whatever happens, the strain, the deaths, the fear... and you've lost your job. Your job was to keep people safe and the city running.

I understand both sides, but I wanted to point out the bigger picture. Other cities have done this successfully it seems, I don't have the stats at the moment, but it only takes 1-2 people to cause a mess of it. The mayor simply doesn't trust the public to police themselves and from what I've seen, heard, and read, I don't blame her.
Then why doesn’t she say that If that indeed is her reasons for the restriction.

This is exactly why the Saints should build a new stadium outside of city limits, like on the northshore or down in bayou country. Anywhere there is no Democrats running the show. A lot of people want to say this covid thing isn't political, it most certainly is. The Democrat party has used the covid virus as a political ploy to further their power grab. Take the money away and they lose their power. I like the name "The Louisiana Saints".

Ignoring how dumb this idea is in general and how dumb it is to think that either political party really cares about you or making your life better, you do realize that the Governor of Louisiana is a Democrat right? So where in Louisiana can you go that is not governed by a Democrat?

I wanted to see how this story is playing in New Orleans.

https://www.nola.com/

It's nowhere to be found on the main content screen of the Nola.com online front page. Scrolling down, it is listed as the 6th most popular story.

It may be a trending SR.com story, but it does not seem to be that important to the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom