N/S McCaffrey injures Hamstring in Victory last night. (1 Viewer)

Their defense is still really good. They aren’t going away
They look to be really solid. I won’t say really good yet, but the potential is there. Played a terrible Jets team (worst in the league, played a Saints team missing 9 total starters and 8 coaches (Jets would have beat the Saints that day), and then played Houston with a rookie QB who was at least 2 years from being ready to play.

They’re in trouble if Christian is out for more than 4 games, although Darnold has certainly revived his career. Been a long time since we had the 4th best QB in the division

Their defense has dominated three NFL opponents that they have faced. I don't think them embarrassing the Saints OL and Sean Payton was an accident...you don't do that with luck
You do that with good circumstances, that’s 8 coaches missing, and the player that is responsible on your offense for making all the calls at the LOS (center)

You do that with good circumstances, that’s 8 coaches missing, and the player that is responsible on your offense for making all the calls at the LOS (center)
The Saints had their OL coach. Ruiz is a first round pick and the Saints are believed to have a top 3 OL.

The Saints had their OL coach. Ruiz is a first round pick and the Saints are believed to have a top 3 OL.
Ok man! Not trying to argue, if you think the coaches weren’t spread thin all week and on game day and the oline wasn’t vastly negatively impacted by that and because they didn’t have their main cog that calls out protections, then I don’t know what to tell you.

When a team runs the same blitz package three times in a row and it wasn’t picked up, that isn’t a scheming thing or a defensive talent thing. That’s not being able to get the pre-snap responsibilities and checks at the line done

Ok man! Not trying to argue, if you think the coaches weren’t spread thin all week and on game day and the oline wasn’t vastly negatively impacted by that and because they didn’t have their main cog that calls out protections, then I don’t know what to tell you.

When a team runs the same blitz package three times in a row and it wasn’t picked up, that isn’t a scheming thing or a defensive talent thing. That’s not being able to get the pre-snap responsibilities and checks at the line done
I think that the loss of McCoy was bad. But I also saw that the Saints managed quite well without McCoy for half of the game against the Packers. I think that COVID is a convenient excuse. They were absolutely dominated by the Panthers, and it wasn't just scheme...they were consistently losing one on one battles, even our tackles. The lack of other position coaches is a weak excuse for being dominated one on one...what is much more likely is that the Panthers defensive front is very good.

I'd venture to say that they will be 5-5 after 10 games.
5-5 is pretty darn good...that'd be .500...which is where was are right now. I think that there defense is going to keep them in almost every game this year. My only hope is that the loss of Horn makes them more vulnerable outside...but their defensive front is very good and their LBs are fast and athletic.

I think that the loss of McCoy was bad. But I also saw that the Saints managed quite well without McCoy for half of the game against the Packers. I think that COVID is a convenient excuse. They were absolutely dominated by the Panthers, and it wasn't just scheme...they were consistently losing one on one battles, even our tackles. The lack of other position coaches is a weak excuse for being dominated one on one...what is much more likely is that the Panthers defensive front is very good.
But blitz packages aren’t only about winning one on one battles. It’s just a part of it.

But I do agree somewhat. I think you’re thinking I’m implying the Panthers were lucky to beat us. No no, they were just better that day. But losing that many coaches the week of a game is absolutely no excuse, it was 100% a major factor. If it wasn’t, we would have seen that type of performance before from a SP offense, and we never have.

5-5 is pretty darn good...that'd be .500...which is where was are right now. I think that there defense is going to keep them in almost every game this year. My only hope is that the loss of Horn makes them more vulnerable outside...but their defensive front is very good and their LBs are fast and athletic.
That means they go 2-5 over the next 7 games, which isn't very good.

Their defense has dominated three NFL opponents that they have faced. I don't think them embarrassing the Saints OL and Sean Payton was an accident...you don't do that with luck
I guess you reinforced my point, without realizing so. The 3 teams they DOMINATED on defense, were not what you would call top 1/3 of the league, by any stretch. Jets are 31st, Saints are the worst and I do not lnow about the Texans. The facts you glossed over;

Jets; rookie QB, 1st start!

Saints; QB making his 2nd start in new offense, on the road with a depleted coaching staff and missing 3 starters. 2 of which are the no. 1 and no. 2 WR’s.

Texans; rookie QB, 1st start on a short week.

But go ahead and believe the Panthers have the best defense, if you will.

I guess you reinforced my point, without realizing so. The 3 teams they DOMINATED on defense, were not what you would call top 1/3 of the league, by any stretch. Jets are 31st, Saints are the worst and I do not lnow about the Texans. The facts you glossed over;

Jets; rookie QB, 1st start!

Saints; QB making his 2nd start in new offense, on the road with a depleted coaching staff and missing 3 starters. 2 of which are the no. 1 and no. 2 WR’s.

Texans; rookie QB, 1st start on a short week.

But go ahead and believe the Panthers have the best defense, if you will.
Well...the Panther's have played a big role in those teams having poor offensive ranking. After all...they account for half of the offensive ranking for the Saints, and half of the offensive ranking for the Jets.

I tell you what, early in the first, you can clearly see the Payton philosophy that has influenced Joe Brady, offensively.

There was a play to Dan Arnold where inside TE ran up the seam, he ran out, carried the corner til he spotted CMC in the flat, stopped his drop and Arnold had turned up. The Safety to that side was occupied by other TE up the seam, creating massive hole along sideline.

that was vintage Payton. Putting so much pressure on defensive players to make a snap decision and in this case giving QB THREE diff options depending on what decision the CB/S made.

Not to mention the roll outs with 3 layers of targets- low/med/high.

If Darnold figures all this out and they get a true #1 WR, they will be pretty potent offensively. The key is CMC staying healthy.

Their good not taking anything away from their defense but you can see some vulnerabilities. Like for one they're blitzing entirely too much, a QB that can read it and get the ball out fast can pick their defense apart. I've also noticed power running or off tackle runs they have some issues stopping.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom