McCain Plagerized...no he didn't...yes he did...no he didn't. LOL! (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
The loveable Lefties over at Think Progress (a MoveOn.org, Soros-funded web project) jumped all over a foreign policy speech Sen. John McCain gave when they found remarkable similarities to a speech given over a decade ago by Admiral Timothy Ziemer.

They had a wonderful, sentence-by-sentence breakdown and comparison, scathing commentary and raucus readers' remarks and everything!

All was well...until the McCain folks pointed them to a McCain speech on the McCain's Senate website which predated Ziemer's speech...oops...it was the admiral who had borrowed from McCain, not the other way around. :hihi:

I got to hand it to Think Progress though. They didn't pull a New York Times and bury the retraction deep in the bowels of their site somewhere. Nope. Right out front. :9:

THINK PROGRESS
EXCLUSIVE: McCain’s Foreign Affairs Speech Plagiarizes 1996 Address By Adm. Timothy Ziemer (UPDATED)»

CORRECTION: As a blog that strives to maintain credibility and transparency, we would like to explain our mistake. When we were alerted to the tip that Adm. Ziemer gave a similar speech in 1996, we searched LexisNexis and McCain’s campaign site for whether the senator used the disputed phrases before that time. We did not find anything. After we published the post, the McCain campaign contacted us and pointed to a speech given by the senator in 1995, which appears on McCain’s Senate site. As soon as we were alerted to the error, we rushed to publish a correction. Once again, we regret the error, and we apologize for it.

Yesterday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) gave a foreign policy speech to the Los Angeles World Affairs Council. He stated:

READ MORE
Think Progress s Foreign Affairs Speech Plagiarizes 1996 Address By Adm. Timothy Ziemer (UPDATED)

Last edited:

/liberales/noun.plural

Spanish for "someone able to ADMIT MISTAKES rather than drown in a cesspool of denial taking the entire country down with you"

We could use some "liberales" in the White House right about now

No jeans we need some moderates in the white House, not more of the same thing from the other spectrum. I do think you used a bit of generalization in your assessment that liberals always on principle admit mistakes and right leaning people don't. Reagan for all his faults did apologize for the Iran Contra gaffe and despite some vehement hate from the far left he did a reasonably good job as President. I don't dislike liberals either, I think some of them like conservatives can be ridiculous and say inane things because they think its applies to their positions. I think Obama could do a good job because he's not as partisan as his opponent Hillary is. He wants to work with the other side, not do it because he has too.

Thats the sign of a respectable liberal or moderate, not a blind idealistic partisan hack that exists on both sides of politics right now

/liberales/noun.plural

Spanish for "someone able to ADMIT MISTAKES rather than drown in a cesspool of denial taking the entire country down with you"

We could use some "liberales" in the White House right about now

FWIW Mr. Littlejeans, the last time I called Think Progress to task, they never did a retraction.

They used a misquote by a reporter. I contacted the reporter, he admitted he'd made a mistake, his paper did a retraction, both online and in print copy. The whole thing was documented here on the EE Board.

That's why I brought this up. Think Progress is playing a bit more fairly with McCain.

FWIW Mr. Littlejeans, the last time I called Think Progress to task, they never did a retraction.

They used a misquote by a reporter. I contacted the reporter, he admitted he'd made a mistake, his paper did a retraction, both online and in print copy. The whole thing was documented here on the EE Board.

That's why I brought this up. Think Progress is playing a bit more fairly with McCain.

For somebody who was trying to give someone else credit for something positive, you sure have a way with thread titles.

Or maybe you're just a humble, honest, objective web content editor and former journalist and Marine.

For somebody who was trying to give someone else credit for something positive, you sure have a way with thread titles.

Or maybe you're just a humble, honest, objective web content editor and former journalist and Marine.

You left out brother to five sisters and father to four daughters!

Most importantly, you omitted my total devotion to the concept that, unlike my father, I'll actually live to see a Saints Super Bowl.

But, enough about me.

I also found it humorous that a Political Action Committee would accuse McCain of plaigerism only to find that it was actually McCain who was plaigerised...hence the LOL in the thread title.

You left out brother to five sisters and father to four daughters!

Most importantly, you omitted my total devotion to the concept that, unlike my father, I'll actually live to see a Saints Super Bowl.

But, enough about me.

I also found it humorous that a Political Action Committee would accuse McCain of plaigerism only to find that it was actually McCain who was plaigerised...hence the LOL in the thread title.

Based on the bulk of what you've written, the thread title could have said "Well-known Blog Makes Honest, Timely Correction", but maybe people would have thought somebody with no skills buried the lead.

Based on the bulk of what you've written, the thread title could have said "Well-known Blog Makes Honest, Timely Correction", but maybe people would have thought somebody with no skills buried the lead.

Or I could have written "Let's move up in the draft and get McFadden." :1zhelp:

I wasn't defending Think Progress, although it maybe came across that way. I'm just so tired of everyone "taking sides" in such simplistic fashion. A one word reply "liberales." As if jumping on a candidates perceived error is a more liberal than conservative trait.

I haven't listened to talk radio in years, but in the last 2 months I've tried. I've heard one generally unslanted host (Garland.) I can't seem to find a left-leaning talk show. (Help anyone? Where is AirAmerica?) The right wing shows are so HARD CORE RIGHT and nasty and bombastic. It's as if there is no middle ground allowed. I would love Rush to do ONE feature expressing anger over something thats too far right, andd Keith Olbermann to do ONE feature about someone that's too far left now and then.

Why do we only see issues and each other in such simplistic terms?

You know Jeans your absolutely correct. People these days take things way too simply and maybe its the times we live in God forbid. I would hope that on Sr.com that open minded posters can discuss sensitive topics like the Iraqi war, abortion, the death penalty and we come to a conclusion and the debating on the issues themselves. but it does not always happen all the time and you have some people who take it too far and nothing gets done really. Thats the reality I see now typing these words in a rebut all to you now, because I do too see things being argued way out of context and the issues not getting discussed.

Jeans, you can be a Republican or a Democrat but we all are Americans here. Lets not forget that point here. We all have a job to do now and to be a part of the solution, that means working with the other side. I want to work with the other side and be apart of the solution. Thats why I talk about these things and try to find some common ground.

People in the media have a constituency to reach, and some are completely biased and ridiculous but so what? I used to be very critical of Olbermann and others on MSNBC but I see more and more that their in for ratings. their are a business and to make money, and maybe reach some people too. no big deal their. Maybe My own biases was not letting me see it but its true. I can still get angry at them from time to time but I keep trying to see them anyway and hear them out regardless.

What is the point?

It's been years since any politican, left or right, has had an original idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom