McFadden holds the key... (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I'm alone here when I say that our chances of getting Ellis or Dorsey pretty slim (without selling the afrm to trade up to get tone of them). Gholston would be a great pick at 10, but the Jets, and now bengals are playing 3-4 defenses that can use an edge rusher with Gholston's ability.

I honestly think that McFadden may fall to 10. I was watching mayock's assessment last night while he targeted RBs, and he had some pretty interesting ponts that I never thought of. (Link to video here)

I'm not saying we should think about taking him... I'm saying that there will probably be a long line of teams that would want to trade up to have his services... we could stockpile picks and build our dynasty if DMC somehow falls to #10.

The draft is relatively deep with talent at every defensive position in the draft (sans safety), and I think we could build a solid team thru this and last year's draft.

I hope DMC falls to 10, because honestly... as deep as the draft is... after the 2 DTs and Gholston... there really isn't another player (offensively or defensively) that is worthy of a top 10 pick.

I totally agree, Droopy. I've been feeling for a while now that if we can't get Ellis, then we need to move down once or twice and stockpile picks and take care of our defensive needs late in the first or in the second round where the value makes more sense.

My preference as of now for the first round are the following:

a) Dorsey or Ellis, but both will be gone
c) Gholston, but I think won't pass the patriots
d) Rivers or Connor, with a little edge on Rivers because I think we can get a starter MIKE at round 2.

I think there are a couple of players that may tempt teams to trade up: one is McFadden and the other one is Clady. I think after the combine Clady is going to open several eyes, and let's face it, left tackle are such commodities and after Long and Clady there is a big drop after. I can even see the Jets taking him is Long is gone (since Ferguson hasn't been as dominant as expected).

If we can get good players at defensive tackle and corner, then I think drafting two linebackers would make a lot of sense this time.

I think you don't think its tangible for us to get either player, because if you want him then other teams must want him as bad....players fall all the time and you (we) don't even know if those are players we are even considering, even though I'm sure we like to have them....its February, we don't know how the draft is gonna shape up, we haven't even started signing free agents yet......in due time.

I agree with you. If we don't get the picks on defense, I hope for a good juicy trade that gets us a host of picks that we can build with. There seems to be a lot of players out there that have potential, but are not considered "sure fire" top picks. The more of those we get our hands on the more likely we will have starters out this draft, as a second or third round pick is just a little more of a gamble, but not that much more of a gamble as most ascribe the difference between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and so on.

If we were able to get 2 or 3 more 2nd or 3rd round picks, we could really end up loading up on defensive players.

I hope DMC falls to 10, because honestly... as deep as the draft is...another player (offensively or defensively) that is worthy of a top 10 pick.

I'm for drafting 100% defense in the first 5-6 rounds. I hope DMac falls and helps us score another defensive pick.

That said, a big, fast RB is just what our defense needed last season. If we would have had someone to get the tough 3 yards in 2007, I think our defensive stats would look a lot better. Or, we could have been smarter and used Thomas more. He is better at getting the tough 3 yards than many give him credit for.

It's a tough call whether to take DMac or deal him. Glad I don't have to make that call.

What you "Want" and what you "Get" are usually very different things.
Hopefully, the scouting dept, SP, and ML have ranked all the draft picks accordingly. Then when the time comes, it will just depend. Take the BPA, within reason.
If they view McFadden as a top 1-2 player in the draft and he falls to #10. And they feel like he is much better than anyone remaining in the draft, then I hope they take him. The draft should be about long term, not next year. That's what FA is about.

What we would get offered, would definately play into it. Just depends.
Personally, I'd be shocked if we picked him (even if he were available).

But, everyone seems to think Defense regardless, but I don't. If an OL is the top on the board at #10, I hope they take him.

McFaddens biggest problem is Adrian Petersen. NFL scouts will have this in their minds and compare. There is light years between the two and I simply do not see any of the RB's going high in the draft.

McFaddens biggest problem is Adrian Petersen. NFL scouts will have this in their minds and compare. There is light years between the two and I simply do not see any of the RB's going high in the draft.

Light years? We have no idea. They played in such different style offenses in college. The combine will tell us more.

Now, if DMac grades out close to AD then someone will jump to grab him in the top 10. Whether they jump to 10 or ahead of us is to be determined. I think based off the impact AD had last year a team needing a RB will grab DMac earlier and he will not fall - unless he is really slow and I don't think that's the case.

I said it on another thread and I'll say it again. If McFadden is there we should take him. He is a stud. You put an every down back like McFadden on that offense and it would be scary. He reminds me of a young Deuce, big enough to move the pile, but with home run speed.

big enough to move the pile

But, in watching Mayock's video, he has one of McFadden's weaknesses is his crumbling legs at first contact?

I have been screaming defense along with everyone else, but IF Ellis, Dorsey and Gholston are gone, I wouldnt be that disappointed with Clady at 10. Inconsistency with our line last year hurt productivity with all the high priced players we have on Offense and he should be a guy in the league for 10 years. So why gamble, stockpiling picks doesnt guarantee anything either(we havent proven successful in 1st round picks much less later rounds), if he's there I think its worth it and lineman are usually the surest thing and one could make the argument this team has that need? If some are willing to throw a bunch of money at Faneca then it must show a need? Would be a heck of a left side with Clady and Faneca though? Defense wouldnt be on the field that much :9:

Last edited:
If we do have a chance at Gholston, what do yall think he would do to our D? I wonder how we would use him...

But, in watching Mayock's video, he has one of McFadden's weaknesses is his crumbling legs at first contact?

I:

All I know is I watched him play in several big games against top competition and was the best player on the field many times. I know we need defense desperately, but if the right player is not there at 10 and we don't receive a viable offer to move down -- and McFadden is there -- take him without hesitation.

What if DMC falls to ten and Jerry Jones comes calling and says "Hey I'll give you Marion "the Barbarian" Barber and our 28nd pick and a third".

Do We bite?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom