CONN
USF
HOW
PITT
LOUISVILLE
SYR
WVY
KSU

Competition as stiff as a wet noodle. I'm not bashing the guy, but the highlight reel provided showed crap defenses.

FWIW, I think McFadden ran behind a line that can run block better than the Saints O line, so he's obviously benefitted from that. As has Peterson benefitted from an amazingly good run oriented o line in Minn.

But piling yards on North Carolina and Syracuse don't impress IMHO.

While Rice may turn out to be a good NFL back, the highlight reel was against:

UNC
CONN
USF - WAS RANKED #2 IN NATION THIS YEAR
HOW
PITT
LOUISVILLE
SYR
WVY - WAS RANKED #2 IN NATION THIS YEAR, WON A BCS BOWL
KSU

Competition as stiff as a wet noodle. I'm not bashing the guy, but the highlight reel provided showed crap defenses.

FWIW, I think McFadden ran behind a line that can run block better than the Saints O line, so he's obviously benefitted from that. As has Peterson benefitted from an amazingly good run oriented o line in Minn.

But piling yards on North Carolina and Syracuse don't impress IMHO.
You also forgout about Cincinnati who is/was a ranked team as well. The Big East over the last several years has evolved into a very competetive and quality conference. It's like saying McFadden ran up a bunch of yards against Ole Miss and South Carolina, which just isn't very impressive. :dunno:

OK lets all agree that the SEC is the premiere conference in the country. Its true, not a homer statement, its just a fact. I have watched DM run live and i can tell you that this kid is something special. Yes RIce is a very good back with lots of upside and a great attitude, but i promise you that in the fourth quarter of a game with two minutes you have to give the ball to McFadden. Its a no brainer, anyone who has seen the two play know that Slaton and Rice, Forte and Rice.....good comparisons. McFadden is on a different planet then all running backs in this draft. I don't think it should be argued that Rice is a very good back, thats obvious but no where near the back that DMF is.

OK lets all agree that the SEC is the premiere conference in the country. Its true, not a homer statement, its just a fact. I have watched DM run live and i can tell you that this kid is something special. Yes RIce is a very good back with lots of upside and a great attitude, but i promise you that in the fourth quarter of a game with two minutes you have to give the ball to McFadden. Its a no brainer, anyone who has seen the two play know that Slaton and Rice, Forte and Rice.....good comparisons. McFadden is on a different planet then all running backs in this draft. I don't think it should be argued that Rice is a very good back, thats obvious but no where near the back that DMF is.

Let's see -
The Southeastern Conference had 263 players on the 2007 National Football League opening day active rosters, which led all conferences.

The Atlantic Coast Conference was second with 238 players, followed by the Big Ten with 234 players, Pac-10 with 183 players, Big 12 with 176 players and the Big East with 84 players.
http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=2&url_article_id=6307&change_well_id=2

263 players for 12 teams in SEC = 21.92 players in NFL per school. Big 10 has 11 teams with 234 players, or 21.27 players in NFL per member school. Not exactly a huge differential.

I think that the SEC is an excellent conference. But to make the statement that they are the "premier" conference in college football is a little over-statement. Both the Big 10 and SEC seem to show that they produce quality NFL players at pretty much the same rate.

Are you kidding me? Anyone who watched college football this past season and has knowledge of the game knows that its is easily the hardest conf. to play in. The Big Ten is a joke, Ohio State and Mich are talented teams but each would easily be a three loss team in the SEC. When was the last time OSU won againts an SEC school? Now you compare the ACC, did you watch them play this year or you just spouting statistics. I'm not talking numbers, all you have to do is watch the game. The ACC is slower, less physical and incomparable to the SEC at this point. I do understand that on any day, any team can knock off someone else, UL Monroe V Alabama, but come on that in no way means the Sun Belt is a strong conference. I understand your opinion, respect it, i just disagree.

But back to the subject at hand, I like Rice but if you had a top ten pick in this draft and needed a RB and passed on McFadden and then told the media its b/c you believe that there is equal value in Rice later in the draft......just typing that sounds crazy.

Well, it's either a speedster that runs up the back of his OLine, or a bruiser that hits the holes with great timing. Pick your poison. Maybe talent wise, McD is better, but as actually RB intangibles go, I think Rice may edge him out.

2 points -

#1 What does this have to do with the Saints?
#2 He plays for Rutgers not Arkansas - it's a whole other league in the SEC baby.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom