Mckenzie at FS?????? (1 Viewer)

GilFinnerty

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Not saying hes at that point,,but lets say injury causes him to lose a step speed wise,,hes a solid tackler,,veteran ball skills,,bullocks with that 4.3 speed still sexy but we all know player positioning and reaction and read has been very poor and dont seem to be improving,,someone also mentioned brandon flowers as a FS prospect,,he ran a 4.58 at the combine which i think he is faster than that,,but he is very physical,,and good ball skills,,should be there in our 2nd pics,,FS think needs huge upgrade,,even more than CB imo.,..

my thoughts exactly. As long as JB is our FS we can have Champ Bailey on the right side and he'll be roasted deep. MM would make a great FS, at least IMO.

Bullocks runs a 4.3? Where did you find that?

The only thing I see is:

Agility tests: 4.58 in the 40-yard dash... 340-pound bench press... 305-pound power clean... 34-inch vertical jump... 32 1/4-inch arm length... 9 5/8-inch hands.

CB Chris Gamble runs 4.59 for Carolina.....Hes pretty good in coverage...the 40 is a little over rated when it comes to covering....its alot more about instincts.

What happen HouDat changed your mind? I can imagine what you would have posted:hihi:

Even if MM has lost a step he's still the Saints best CB. CB isn't only about straight line speed. Jason David is faster than McKenzie. It's about the ability to read and react, change direction, judge the ball in flight all of which MM is excellent at. According to reports here Loomis has said MM is way ahead of schedule in his recovery and might be ready to go by the beginning of TC.

Agree

I totallly agree on that MM would be a good FS it all depends on if Gay or Usama can hold down the other CB spot.

Only move MM if he can't hang at CB anymore. MM was never about speed anyway. He is physical and football-smart, but never a burner. He just doesn't take chances, which IMO is why he usually has low INT numbers. But he has low TOAST numbers as well.

MM will be starting Corner on the Right Side in Week 1......

Loomis said he fully expects him to be ready for training camp!!!

McK is a press corner just like Al harris, etc..... speed isn't as crucial as good football knowledge and good safety help!!! Roman Harper will be fine over there...him and McK had a good thing going over there last year..... it was the David/Bullocks situation that ate us up.... but i don't think Mike has a FULL ACL tear, because they say he is wayyy ahead of schedule and will be ready to go in week 1, which is a suprise to me...

Cornerbacks and safeties are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT positions.

Just because McKenzie's good at cornerback does not mean he'd be an effective safety. Just because Ed Reed is an excellent safety does not mean he'd be a good cornerback.

McKenzie will not play safety. He's a cornerback.

You don't move your best cornerback to safety when he is coming off one of his best years as a saint. We only have 4 CB on the roster(MM,GAY,young, and David). We normally carry 5 at that position. So chances are not a single one of our CBs will change position. Gay is the only one of our CBs who has played safety. So if one were to move it would be him but i can't see it happening.

I think MM would make a good free safety as well.

Problem is, he is a great CB. CBs are much more valuable than safeties. Why move a ProBowl calibur CB to FS, where you don't know how good he will be there.

The only way I would consider moving MM to FS is if he is too slow to play CB anymore, but I think he will be fine.

mckenzie caught fast willie parker 2 years ago...must have pretty good speed to do that.

The question of moving MM to safety is due to his injury, not so much our glaring need at the position. A 30+ year old veteran will be hard pressed to come back to the same level of sharp cutting ability after an ACL tear. His straight line speed might be ok, but I doubt he'll ever cut the same. FS is more about football knowledge and the ability to react. I'd be willing to bet that MM could handle that spot better than Bullocks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom