McKenzie on Chad Johnson...Why not? (1 Viewer)

McKenzie is strictly playing the left side.

Which answers the original poster's question but my follow up is WHY?

Why wouldn't the Saints put their best CB on the other team's best WR?

Remember that we shut out all the other recievers for the most part, I know that is no excuse and that it does not decrease the 169 that chad put up but TJ and Henry not having big days was nice to see

Remember that the game was 10-7 going into the fourth quarter. Our offense turned the ball over 3 times in the 2nd quarter in Cincy territory including 2 INTs by Brees inside the 20. So don't complain about Freddy, he did his job for 3 quarters. Our offense did thier job for only 1 quarter.

Hey! I'll admit I think, or actually KNOW (from watching him since he's BEEN a SAINT) FT is a GOOD CB. Not GREAT,of course, but someone used solid earlier and I'll geaux with that too.

If NOT, why on earth would a Coach who is in his first year and not afraid to put in and use right away, rookies and FA's who fit the bill even have him in the game, especailly coming off of an injury?

Come on! You all have seen FT have really good games and not too many bad ones. He has been very consistent his whole career with us, giving it a full effort each and every time he hit the field and he played hurt better than most CB's in the League when healthy, a couple of years back (remember he had what appeared to be a Giant Q-Tip where his right hand should have been?)!

Maybe he wasn't 100% coming off of that hammy (or was it a groin?) anyway you look at it, why he was handling the first move and the double moves well (except for that quick slant to score by CJ) but giving up what appeared to me to be coverage to the Safety, we'll just have to wait to hear or be told by observant fans from the game who could actually SEE the kind of Defenses we were in at the time!

For me, one of the huge pleasures of being actaully @ a game is to be able to SEE the plays develop and make calls with my buds on what's coming and how we should be playing this formation or that! You just can't do that from televised games or relying on those bobbleheaded pundits to explain what's happening.

So, when someone from the game or the organization explains what happened Sunday, I'll make up my mind on "If FT blew the coverage or not?" questions.

Until then, I'm convinced he did what a vetran CB should have done at the time. Oh, all of you MM folks, I too respect MM as our best MoM cover-corner but let's face the fact that Mikie gets beaten too. Heck, Champ gets beaten too whether the QB gets the ball to the Receiver or not. Just iso on him and you'll see.

No, FT didn't lose the game for us, but turning the rock over -3 won't win any beauty pageants nor NFL games for that matter!

Recovering nicely in Agoura Hills, CA!

Dr. D!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which answers the original poster's question but my follow up is WHY?

Why wouldn't the Saints put their best CB on the other team's best WR?

The problem was that Ocho Cinqo would line up in different spots throughout the game. Whenever he was on left side, he made all his plays. Where can I find a passing chart for the game? It seemed like about 90% of the passes went to the left side (defense's right side); it had to be part of their game plan to pick on Thomas since he was coming back from injury or maybe because of the size advantages they had over him.

I didn't read this thread but MM played great againts the bengals with that said I think it was just the fact that TJ is bigger and Thomas was a mismatch but then again so was chad on Thomas

If MM would of covered Thomas...TJwhosawhatsit would of just went for 3 TD's against Thomas. Hes argueably just as good as Johnson.

It was 10 to 7 going into the fourth quarter.
If we would of had the lead like we should of
everybody would now be praising our D.

Lot different when playing from behind as opposed to with a lead.
Think the Offense has to take a lot of the blame why D played so bad.

It was 10 to 7 going into the fourth quarter.
If we would of had the lead like we should of
everybody would now be praising our D.

Lot different when playing from behind as opposed to with a lead.
Think the Offense has to take a lot of the blame why D played so bad.

I hear you but the offense didn't give up three bombs. Yet I don't think anyone would be praising the D when they score that many points though. With all said the Saints are exceeding the expectations of a lot of people and for that I'm grateful.

Even with 2 picks and a turnover they held up pretty well for 3 1/2 quarters.

If we would of had the lead going into fourth like we should of they could of been playing for the long ball and going after the quarterback instead of trying to defend a first down. Big difference.
MY point was our defense held a powerful offense in check long enough to win our offense blew it.

On that 1 bomb FT was in great position, (would of picked it off if palmer would of threw it). Insted he pulled it down scramled around and CJ took off down the feild, leaving me to think the safety should of picked him up. (looked like the safety started to go after Palmer before he relized CJ was going deep, then it was too late)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom