McKenzie on Chad Johnson...Why not? (1 Viewer)

tak

Patience pays..SB champs!
Reaction score
Just wondering why McKenzie wasn't holding Chad Johnson today? Fred Thomas is good but evidently was not well suited for C.J. so why not switch to Mckenzie after this was evident? My only reasoning could be that they were trying to double C.J. up with the safety and leaving McKenzie 1 on 1 with T.J. Houshmenzadeh. Any takes because I don't believe the coaches missed something this obvious?

BTW I still believe we're going to win this division regardless of the record. The Saints have already done well thus far and are winning the games they're supposed to.

The problem was our Free Safety who is supposed to cover deep halves (i.e. no receiver on his half of the field is supposed to get deeper than him). They were getting sucked up to the line of scrimmage like line backers on the play action. That is just sick ... it is something you only see in high school ball. I don't care who you are going against. When you are lined up over 10 yds away form the LOS, the receiver should NEVER get deeper than you ... that is, if you play with the fundamentals that people learn in high school and college.

The truth may or may not come out, no one may want to play the "blaim game" or may just say it was a "TEAM" loss but, and I KNOW most don't respect his game, BUT, Fred Thomas is a GAMER who has had awesome days of coverage when he's singled or has the help required on deeper routes! FT is a CB! NOT a Safety, hence the term "SAFETY"So, now, depending on coverage calls, and that may be what never gets told for other reasons, I'm betting FT was NOT singularly responsible for those tosses to Chad the Cad!

That's just MHO, as we sit and wait to hear from Coach. What I DO KNOW is that this team can move the ball on anyone at anytime! Once these misques play themselves out (and it does seem as if we are going through a little phase here) we'll be "Good To GEAUX!" I hope that that time is THIS season but if not (it still looks REAL GOOD to me at least) then think about the maturation of the team with a new round of fresh picks and FA's like we scored this year in addition to what we already KNOW we have!

Folks it looks to me like we're going to be really great for years to come!

Come on Fred Thomas, WHO was it? Coach? Want to tell us anything about it? We're you're loyal servants and need a bone on this one. Throw us the bone and either cut someone or bench someone this week that will make this team not only know how serious you are about winning but that it WILL happen if you cost this team of players too much and I don't care how old or young they may be! Make a STATEMENT!

!!!!!!!!!!! GEAUX SAINTS GEAUX !!!!!!!!!! Still Believing Still Keeping the Faith!

McKenzie is strictly playing the left side.

and I KNOW most don't respect his game, BUT, Fred Thomas is a GAMER who has had awesome days of coverage when he's singled or has the help required on deeper routes!

So Fred Thomas is now incapable of the man coverage that we ask MM to do every game? Yet alot of people say Fred is the better corner. Doesn't make sense.

If Fred is a gamer...I don't want any part of what hes playing.

FT can't play man anymore. Combine that with the fact the Safety left him hanging on SO many occassions.

FRED THOMAS SHOULD HAVE PLAYED CHAD BETTER THAN HE DID YESTERDAY HE GOT TOASTED THE WHOLE GAME IF HE PLAYS LIKE THAT EVERY WEEK IT WILL BE TO EASY FOR TEAMS TO SCORE OWN SAINTS IF FRED IS ONE OF THE BETTER CONERS OWN THE TEAM WE ARE GOING TO BE SCREWED BECAuse I KNOW CRAFT COULD COVER ANYBODY IF HE WAS OUT THERE WITH A BLANKET RUNNING AROUND

What really gets me is the way FT played him. It was comical, FT was right in the face of CJ, like Champ Bailey might do to a #1 receiver. Whoever thought up the idea to put FT on CJ and play tight coverage should lose their job. CJ is better than anyone we have on our defense, you give him cushion, and play bend but don't break.

Yes Fred Thomas has had better days, even this year. Now I've played football, and DB was one of the spots I played at and I have to tell you there are some things Fred did fundamentally wrong (such as looking back early). There is a trust issue also; whenever you see a DB looking back at the line that often that can mean the front 7 isn't playing the run and short middle well. It seems he's looking over his shoulder to make sure they're doing they're job. When a DB begins to do that it becomes very hard to do his job. It seems FT couldn't trust the front 7 or his safety. That's why I've found it always best to wait and be sure your safety has your back, otherwise the WR is catching the ball and you're catching the blame.

With all that said I'm still having trouble understanding why McKenzie isn't matched up with the #1 WR. There has to be a sound reason. I understand people have bad days yet when they do there needs to be adjustments made to accomodate that. FT is a good scrappy CB having a bad day on a good WR. Adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
We are just going to have to live and die with our secondary this year. :dunno:
Too late to make any changes.

Exactly We have to hope that our Defense can play well enough to keep us in the game. I think that our Defense usually does play well enough, but the turnovers will make any game impossible to win.

Positives:

Brees threw for 500+

Simenou got a pick (Something our Defense rarely does)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom