Meacham is now a guy trying to make a team (1 Viewer)

BulldogSaint

Very Banned
Reaction score
Season is over and he is no longer an 07 rookie trying to shine, he is now a shophmore trying to make a team. You can read in to what Coach and other people have said about him doing well in the trenches of the team. But, this guy is not going to make it I don't think. I may eat these words. But In 08 he now becomes a guy trying to make the team. And I think he will ultimately get lost in the shuffle over the next year or so. Like I said I may be wrong but that is what I think.

Well Coach said he was improving so we have to believe that. The guy will be given every chance to be a starter on this team. If he can run good routes and catch consistently I see no reason he won't be WR2. His health is a concern but he will be 100% coming into camp.

I didn't like the draft pick originally because I didn't see a spot on the team for another WR, especially with Colston and Bush getting most of the receptions. But after seeing everyone not named Bush or Colston drop most of the passes thrown to them, I understand the pick now.

He'll make the team as long as he keeps working hard, there's no question in that. Becoming a starter is a different question and only time will tell. But I think he'll be a good one because he doesn't have to be the team's first, second, or even third option so teams won't focus on him early in the season.

He'll make the team, period. It would cost too much to cut him.

With that said, I fully expect Meachem to be a solid contributer next year. The reason he didn't play this year was simply because he was injured. It wasn't a lack of work ethic (ala Johnathan Sullivan). By all accounts, Meachem is a high effort guy, and now that he's healthy, I expect him to make a solid push to start this year and become our new deep threat (goodbye Devery).

lol why do you think he won't make the team? That is an amazingly ignorant statement... almost as ignorant as saying we should trade Reggie. Meachem is a WR with Colston size and Henderson speed. He's that perfect hybrid guy this offense needs. He stumbled into training camp this year and was unable to break into the lineup ONLY because of a knee issue. I assure you that by midseason in 08, Meachem will be the receiver that EVERYONE is talking about!!

He will be starting at least 8 games next season for us, bank on it

i don't see where you read into that article, that he would have trouble making the team.. in the article on the frong page, payton explicitly says nothings going to be handed to him, but he WILL be in the mix.

There is zero chance Meachem doesn't make the team. None. He will be on the team next year. Whether he'll make a big contribution is another thing. I'm confident that he can come in and help out our receiving corps. He's got the size and speed to make an impact next year.

I believe at one time his knee was bad enough that he could've been put on IR, however Payton wanted him involved so left him off. So if he has been learning the routes-not a strength of a Tennessee wideout historically- and learing the offense, I see no reason for him to not do well next year.

From a financial perspective, he won't/can't be cut I don't think.

From a personnel perspective, I think he has a very strong chance to end up Colston's complement with Patten our 3rd receiver. I don't see Henderson, Copper, Moore, etc... having much of an advantage over him if he plays well.

I just don't see the sense - at all - in cutting a guy who is coming into his first year of considerable playing time after a first round pick was spent on him. I think he will play next year and I think he has a huge chip on his shoulder to prove his detractors wrong. I, for one, hope he does. Because aside from Colston and Patten, our WR corps doesn't impress me.

Season is over and he is no longer an 07 rookie trying to shine, he is now a shophmore trying to make a team. You can read in to what Coach and other people have said about him doing well in the trenches of the team. But, this guy is not going to make it I don't think. I may eat these words. But In 08 he now becomes a guy trying to make the team. And I think he will ultimately get lost in the shuffle over the next year or so. Like I said I may be wrong but that is what I think.

Catsup or salsa?

I was as shocked as Chicago was elated that we did not pick TE Olsen from Miami. Reminded me of theAlex molden pick. I think we passed on Eddie George that time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom