Meachem and Usama Young (1 Viewer)

BroussardWho-Dat

Who-Dat 4 Ever
Reaction score
I know that it felt like we did not have a first round draft pick last year because of Meachem's absence. But this year we will have a first round pick which will prob. be a corner. I am excited because it is almost like we have two first rounders when the season starts. Because that's what Meachem is. He is like a first round pick this year. I know some of us have been hard on him but I don't think that we would have picked the guy if he cant make it in this league. Also I think that Usama Young will be better in his second year. What do ya think? I know that I am always taking the "stadium is half way full" approach but that is just my take on these guys.

Opinions please.

Meachem is better than every WR in this year draft too. So, you could say we have two top 15 picks.

I'm not trying to be a snob, but we covered this a few weeks ago.

It is true that we virtually have two 1st rders this year. Meach will be on the field and hopefully this years 1st rder will be on the field too. That will be nice to see. The Gay signing may or may not have any bearing on if Usama wins the starting job (not to mention MM's health).

The jury is still out. We're going to have to wait and see.

It's pretty rare that rookies make a big impact right away...We were spoiled big time by Colston, Bush, Jahri Evans, Harper.

meachem will be beter than a typical rookie. He had a red shirt year. he went through a training camp, and practiced with the team for 16 weeks. while he won't be as advanced as if he had played, he'll still be way ahead of a typical rookie, so he should have more of an impact than a typical rookie....Young should also benefit from his time last year...I'm hopeful that at least one of bushrod and alleman pan out as a capable backup and potential starter

All and all, we have some young players who we can look forward to see grow in this offense and defense, I know we all want them to be "stars"...but before they become "stars" they have to become solid contributors, you cant put the horse before the cart (or whatever) It seems the expectations put on these players are to high, they have to be shut down corners (if its a corner were talking about) or an elite receiver (if its a receiver)...its like they cant grow in the defense or offense, people on this board want them to step out and perform like a top defender or offensive player...everybody hypes up Fujita like he is a top 10 linebacker, which he's not, but he is a still a good defender, he does his job...thats not excepting mediocrity for wanting Usama and or Meachem to be that type of player, because they cant all be "stars", were not gonna have 11 "stars" on offense and 11 "stars" on defense, some may just develop into solid starters (Fujita) and some may become stars, its the "team" that we want to excel not a specific player (you know what I mean?)

We have some players to get excited about, specially the one's coming into there second and third year. (Colston, Bush, Evans, Meachem, Usama, Harper, Bushrod, Strief,) because there improvment makes the "team" better.

Of course we wont have "11 stars on offense and 11 stars on defense." We are the New Orleans Saints! We will have 53 stars on our roster! :smilielol:

Most people don't realize how young our team really is.

I would be more disappointed if Young and Meachem can't step up than if our first round pick rides the pine all year.

It's unfair to the rookies if you expect all of the first round guys to make an immediate impact and be a "star". They just came out of college, and a lot of them are seeing and learning schemes that they never had to play in, and it takes a special player to figure it all out in their first year.

It's the second and third year players that you should have high expectations for because they've had time to make the transition.

I'm not trying to flame anyone here because I don't think anyone has said anything outlandish, just pointing out why I'm not worried about what our first round pick does this year, and why I'm not terribly disappointed in Meachem last year. Like someone said above, we got spoiled in '06 when Bush, Colston, Evans, etc. lit it up. That doesn't happen every year.

Of course we wont have "11 stars on offense and 11 stars on defense." We are the New Orleans Saints! We will have 53 stars on our roster! :smilielol:

Whats the funny part?....there arent 11 players on offense and defense? my bad if the number is wrong...but I think my point is pretty clear dispite any numerical error....thank you for your contribution to the thread though.

Whats the funny part?....there arent 11 players on offense and defense? my bad if the number is wrong...but I think my point is pretty clear dispite any numerical error....thank you for your contribution to the thread though.

I was simply referring to the fact that we will have 53 "stars" on our roster b/c that is the allotted number of players allowed per team. IE we will have more "stars" than just our 11 O and 11 D starters...as in our backups will also be "stars" :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom