Meachem falling down SD depth chart! (1 Viewer)

Stew

Wait.....what?
Reaction score
ESPN's Bill Williamson suggests the Chargers as a possible fit for free agent Steve Breaston.
Breaston's old coach in Arizona, Ken Whisenhunt, is now the Chargers' offensive coordinator. Their top-three wideouts appear set in Danario Alexander, Malcom Floyd and Vincent Brown, but Breaston could provide quality depth. He's essentially coming off a year off after catching just seven balls in 10 games for the Chiefs.
Related: Chargers
Source: ESPN.com Feb 20 - 8:24 AM

It appears Meach has fallen to at best 4th on the depth chart in SD behind Floyd, Brown, and Alexander and that the Chargers may look at signing Steve Breston according to a Chargers beat writer for ESPN Bill Williamson.

If Meach gets released, what do you think the chances we could get him back in a cheap contract after he had a bad year? And would want him back?

ESPN's Bill Williamson suggests the Chargers as a possible fit for free agent Steve Breaston.
Breaston's old coach in Arizona, Ken Whisenhunt, is now the Chargers' offensive coordinator. Their top-three wideouts appear set in Danario Alexander, Malcom Floyd and Vincent Brown, but Breaston could provide quality depth. He's essentially coming off a year off after catching just seven balls in 10 games for the Chiefs.
Related: Chargers
Source: ESPN.com Feb 20 - 8:24 AM

It appears Meach has fallen to at best 4th on the depth chart in SD behind Floyd, Brown, and Alexander and that the Chargers may look at signing Steve Breston according to a Chargers beat writer for ESPN Bill Williamson.

If Meach gets released, what do you think the chances we could get him back in a cheap contract after he had a bad year? And would want him back?

welcome to last year

he just needs 3 years to learn the plays, he will be ok in a few, his only 2 TDs were against us. hmmm well it just shows you how much better Drew and Sean make the offense look with lesser players

If he gets cut, then I'd bet that Payton would definitely consider re-signing him. Think about it. He would be coming off of a completely embarrassing year in SD, so he would come incredibly cheap, and he's a known product in our system. He's still young, blocks well, has a chemistry with Drew, knows our playbook, and can still take the top off of a defense.

Considering that the more aging Henderson is a free agent and may not return, I'd welcome Meachem back (if he gets released) on the cheap to come play a role in our offense. No one can deny that he was a playmaker for our offense. He could come in and essentially not miss a beat.

Meachem was a solid contributor... and he knows the systems and Drew trusts him to make a play. If we are not bringing Devery back I'd welcome Meach.

Colston
Moore
Meach
Morgan
Toon

That's not a bad WR Corps right there... plenty of size and speed.

I'm not sure what the Chargers' cap situation is, but I believe cutting Meachem may be cost prohibitive for them. He got a good bit of guaranteed money with his deal.

If he is cut though, I think you absolutely have to consider bringing him back. I don't think our WR situation is as "set" as many make it out to be. We're one Colston or Moore injury (both prone to injury) away from having a very subpar, inexperienced group.

I will support whatever the FO decides. They were obviously no dummies to let Meachem go in the first place. If they believe he'd contribute more than another WR on the roster, they may go after him.

With Colston, Moore & Devery, as well as Toon, Morgan, Tanner & Salim Hakim as rising stars, it would be quite a challenge for Meachem to edge someone out.

We'll see... :scratch:

:gosaints:

I think Morgan is taking Devery's place. Meachem then will be competing against Toon and Arrington. Right now, Meachem would have the lead.

And btw, Meachem is not the only one. Tracy Porter is a free agent, and won't be re-signed in Denver.

I am not saying that the saints are or should be interested, but I think they both will be free.

I think Morgan is taking Devery's place. Meachem then will be competing against Toon and Arrington. Right now, Meachem would have the lead.

And btw, Meachem is not the only one. Tracy Porter is a free agent, and won't be re-signed in Denver.

I am not saying that the saints are or should be interested, but I think they both will be free.

I'd love to get the band back together for another run. Porter is another guy that could come cheap.

This was discussed months ago.

No.

First off, his contract makes him pretty much uncuttable (not really a world). He has more dead money left than his cap hit, so SD would REALLY have to want to move on to take that penalty. He's untradable, because of his high salary and low performance.

He's made a few hustle plays, but he's never lived up to the hype or abililty of a 1st round pick.

there is no Arrington anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom