Meachem medically cleared (1 Viewer)

Infoman

You're a Towel!
Reaction score
Saints | Meachem medically cleared
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:06:42 -0700

Jimmy Smith, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints WR Robert Meachem (knee) has been medically cleared, according to head coach Sean Payton. "I've been encouraged with the feedback I've gotten with the way he's running. I think any lingering effects from his knee from a year ago have all but disappeared. That's encouraging. . . . He's cleared and full speed ahead," Payton added.

That's great news. I think RM might really show us something this year.

I'm really counting on Meachem being a home run this year...though I thought he was fit for most of last year but Payton just didn't feel he was sufficiently up to speed?

Jimmy Smith, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints WR Robert Meachem (knee) has been medically cleared, according to head coach Sean Payton. "I've been encouraged with the feedback I've gotten with the way he's running. I think any lingering effects from his knee from a year ago have all but disappeared. That's encouraging. . . . He's cleared and full speed ahead," Payton added.

:worthy: Now hopefully he will be able to show what he can do. We really need him to step up and be the type of WR everyone thinks he can be.

That's what I thought too. I guess for some reason they didn't want to admit he was hurt? What's worse, picking a guy who's that badly hurt, or picking a guy who can't get on the field his first year because he's not picking up the system?

To my mind, we're better off that he was hurt, but maybe the front office didn't want to admit they didn't know the extent of his injuries?

This is basically his rookie season if he plays. I just hope he's soaked up the playbook.

it's more of a red shirt season than a rookie season...he was in training camp and on the team all last year...though was obviously never active...it should hopefully allow him to be more productive than if he was just a rookie

This is basically his rookie season if he plays. I just hope he's soaked up the playbook.
It does feel like we will we have two first rounders this year including Meach....

He was also a JR when we drafted him last year... so essentially last season should have been his SR year at Tenn. Just saying....

He's definitely had enough time to study, watch, and learn. I don't know anything about him as far as how smart he is. Some guys pick it up no problem, while some guys struggle. Having an entire season to absorb it might be a blessing.

Last year's draft class of receivers proved to be somewhat bountiful as well. No. 2 overall selection Calvin Johnson had a promising rookie campaign, fellow first-rounders Dwayne Bowe, Ted Ginn, Craig Davis and Anthony Gonzalez were all solid contributors, and later-round picks Steve Smith, Sidney Rice and James Jones all played significant roles on some of the NFC's top teams. Add in the intriguing prospect of productive second years from 2007 rookie flops Robert Meachem and Dwayne Jarrett, and that's a pretty solid batch of receivers.

As for this year's draft's receiver class? Well, I've got to be honest — it's a little over a month away from the big day, and I'm not really sold on any of them as future NFL stars. Though it seems as though mock drafts across the Internet have 4-5 wide receivers being selected in the first round, you'd be hard pressed finding many experts who would consider any of those 4-5 wide receivers sure-fire bets at the next level.

Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly, the consensus top receiver in April's draft, had a nice career at Oklahoma. Is his stock as high as that of Johnson, Ginn, Bowe, Gonzalez or Meachem, last year, or even Davis, Rice or Smith? I'm not so sure. Would a team rather have Kelly than any of those guys?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7921384/Year-of-the-Receiver?-Eh,-not-quite

Wasn't this said about the same time last year?

Yeah , and Glen Dorsey isn't , but I would have more faith in him playing, and playing hurt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom