Meachem Question (1 Viewer)

The way his situation played out this year, I have a scary feeling he will be on the Cie Grant plan. He has seen he can live a very comfortable life without ever playing a down. His mission was to get a NFL contract not to be a great NFL receiver.

Man are you serious? So basically he's done? He is gonna come to camp at 250pds, driving the new Bentley convertible with a bunch of girls in the car...cause like u said, his whole purpose was to sign an NFL Contract?!!

The guy isn't a "bad seed" or have "character issues" he had a pre existing knee injury that unfortunately got the best of him and he wasn't even healthy till mid season, all reports were he has made great strides since being declared fully healthy, while he has been sitting out, he has "probably" learned all 3 receiver spots and the playbook, so who's to say he won't have a good year next year, with all the practice time and rehab he has had?

Sure its easy to say "he hasn't played, so I don't expect nothing" but at the same time, its just as easy to say with all the time to heal and learn, that he will be more prepared to contribute next year and that he will make some impact in 08-09.

He'd better be ready to start. He was the ONLY first round player last year not to play a single game . Right now, this looks like another Shawn Knight-type pick. He has one year to prove that opinion wrong, and I hope he does.

I'd be happy with him actually getting onto the field. Call me crazy.

I just hope he could at least be on the active roster on game day... that way I wouldn't feel out 2007 1st round pick wasn't a "total" waste...

Call me the eternal optimist, but I think he could be our "X factor" next year.

In the colorful history of draft day mysteries and their ultimate disposition in regards to an entire career their won't be many as "interesting" as Robbie and his handlers.

If this guy doesn't work out it should be strike #1 for Mickey.
I know that Sullivan might be viewed as strike #1 but I'm not sure that Mickey is where the full blame for his selection belongs.

But Robbie is a different story. This one is all on Mickey and if he's a bust Mickey gets a strike. Three first-pick-busts and I feel that you are out. At least on draft selecting that is.

That stated: I hope Mickey puts this one out of the park.

Last edited:
I expect Meachem to be our #2 wr. Solid opposite to Colston, posting 900 recieving yds 5 tds. Thats just my expectations tho. 6'3 215 i think he ran a 4.39. I had high expectations last year but i'm waiving last years because of the injuries, my expectations are pretty high for this coming year, and i think their definately achievable tho, Robbie's talent with Drew Brees..... shouldnt be a problem.

f this guy doesn't work out it should be strike #1 for Mickey.
I know that Sullivan might be viewed as strike #1 but I'm not sure that Mickey is where the full blame for his selection belongs.
I thought it was Rick Mueller and his scouting department.
If Meachem bombs, you won't see me crying if we dump the entire scouting department.

Man are you serious? So basically he's done? He is gonna come to camp at 250pds, driving the new Bentley convertible with a bunch of girls in the car...cause like u said, his whole purpose was to sign an NFL Contract?!!

The guy isn't a "bad seed" or have "character issues" he had a pre existing knee injury that unfortunately got the best of him and he wasn't even healthy till mid season, all reports were he has made great strides since being declared fully healthy, while he has been sitting out, he has "probably" learned all 3 receiver spots and the playbook, so who's to say he won't have a good year next year, with all the practice time and rehab he has had?

Sure its easy to say "he hasn't played, so I don't expect nothing" but at the same time, its just as easy to say with all the time to heal and learn, that he will be more prepared to contribute next year and that he will make some impact in 08-09.

Do you even know who Cie Grant is or what his situation was with the saints? It does not sound like you do.
Cie Grant was the greatest LB to play the game ... at least that is what we were told. Cie grant had a bad knee but it just needed rest, for 3 years. Going into every TC, Cie Grant was healed and ready to go, only to have pain and never see the field.

So far I have to say I am closer to being right in my prediction than those who say he will be a great player.

What makes it even worse IF Meachem busts is that in a draft where we were all screaming CB, LB or DT (polls showing 33% for each all over the screen as the selection was being made) that the Saints' brass go BPA on the other side of the ball? Shouldnt the formula of choosing BPA exclude players with a pre existing knee injury in a position not AS high on your priority list? I know BPA means BPA no matter what, but I expect more from such a pick from this organization for offense than being the only red shirted 1st round player with a known KNEE injury. Does that make a bust worse in a way?:dunno:

I thought it was Rick Mueller and his scouting department.
If Meachem bombs, you won't see me crying if we dump the entire scouting department.

He and they report to Mickey and Sean, who have the ultimate responsibility for the pick though. Usually the GM gets final say, and that's exactly what Tom said of Mickey after the 3-13 season. Although he probably wouldn't go against a "veto" from Sean and probably give's Sean's wishes high regard-- same as Rick-- it's still Mickey who must make the choice. Too, we aren't talking about a second day selection where a GM might not be so heavily involved. On a day 1 pick, especially the very first team pick for the 2007 draft, the GM is basically putting his credentials as a bona fide football man on the line.

AGAIN... I have high hopes for Robbie... but there must be some urgency to make him a value to the team. I think that Robbie will feel the pressure too, if he isn't already feeling it.

I've read enough about his character to believe that getting paid will have very little effect on his hunger for the game. Paid or not this guy wants to succeed from where I see it.

Can he physically do it remains to be seen though. At this point I couldn't argue with anyone that thinks he represents a huge question mark.

Last edited:
Do you even know who Cie Grant is or what his situation was with the saints? It does not sound like you do.
Cie Grant was the greatest LB to play the game ... at least that is what we were told. Cie grant had a bad knee but it just needed rest, for 3 years. Going into every TC, Cie Grant was healed and ready to go, only to have pain and never see the field.

So far I have to say I am closer to being right in my prediction than those who say he will be a great player.

I'm not talking about Cie Grant (yeah I know who he is) i'm talking about the comment you made about him not wanting to be a NFL player, that he just wanted the check?

And Cie Grant had no cartilage in his knee, it was bone on bone (did you know that?)

I don't question his drive to play, although he did show up overweight and out of shape. I think he does want to succeed but he needs to get healthy and actually earn some time on the playing field before we anoint him the number 2 receiver. I don't see anything wrong with going after a WR in FA or the draft just in case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom