Meanwhile, in Ohio (1 Viewer)

This is worrisome.. The Ohio River basin provides potable drinking water to more than 30 million people.

Fo3ytEwWIBMmsDx

Interesting perspective from a Chemistry PhD / Lab Manager - for what it’s worth.

Thread:

Spoke with a friend who's family lives about 100 miles from the incident. He told me they lost all their chickens and two of their goats. He said they are not taking any chances after that and leaving the area for at least a week if not more. No authorities have told them not to drink water or anything like that and also that there is no real cause for concern.

Spoke with a friend who's family lives about 100 miles from the incident. He told me they lost all their chickens and two of their goats. He said they are not taking any chances after that and leaving the area for at least a week if not more. No authorities have told them not to drink water or anything like that and also that there is no real cause for concern.
I know quite a few people in the area. Most are packing up and leaving and it sounds like good reasoning. A few of the people I know that are leaving aren't the types to jump up and leave their home for a lot of hype. I am sure there is more to this than folks are being told. I don't think it's a Chernoble, but it's not a good situation by any stretch.

I know quite a few people in the area. Most are packing up and leaving and it sounds like good reasoning. A few of the people I know that are leaving aren't the types to jump up and leave their home for a lot of hype. I am sure there is more to this than folks are being told. I don't think it's a Chernoble, but it's not a good situation by any stretch.

Yeah it's not a Chernobyl, but I am seeing quite a few people trying to dismiss it(not on here, but on twitter and other sites) by saying it's not that bad. and that is disingenuous to do so. This is impacting a lot of people and I really fear for their future and lives having to deal with the repercussions of them deciding to burn this off as a means of disposal rather than cleaning it up.

Yeah it's not a Chernobyl, but I am seeing quite a few people trying to dismiss it(not on here, but on twitter and other sites) by saying it's not that bad. and that is disingenuous to do so. This is impacting a lot of people and I really fear for their future and lives having to deal with the repercussions of them deciding to burn this off as a means of disposal rather than cleaning it up.
I am seeing the same thing. I'm not there, but the people I have talked to are and they are worried. The Flint, MI scenario comes to a lot of folks minds up there and I would venture to say that it's a legit concern.

Update from DOT - says lots of agencies are involved but fails to give substantive information. Does say that the EPA is screening homes and hasn’t found any contaminations but what does that mean? Of course some of this is due to the limitations of the twitter medium but he needs to have a press conference.

Thread:

saying something like this 'isn't chernobyl' is missing a major point of Chernobyl - as the mini-series points out there were many warning signs and bureaucratic coverups of those warning signs that could have prevented the meltdown
similar to the warning signs in Turkey
similar to the warning signs of the federal levee failure of Katrina
similar to the warning signs in the Mexico City Metro collapse
similar to warning signs about the Jackson water crisis
on and on X 100s

Gotta wonder if these derailments are somehow a symptom of rail worker fatigue.

Seems like those folks wanted some concessions, but the guys making all the money at the top only wanted to squeeze them as much as possible. Prolly should look at maintenance budgets and logs as well after seeing that video of the train sparking along the track for miles prior to the derailment.

Gotta wonder if these derailments are somehow a symptom of rail worker fatigue.

Seems like those folks wanted some concessions, but the guys making all the money at the top only wanted to squeeze them as much as possible. Prolly should look at maintenance budgets and logs as well after seeing that video of the train sparking along the track for miles prior to the derailment.

Yeah - could also be that they hit something on the track.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom