Media Declares SC a Rout for Obama (1 Viewer)

I still think Hillary will be the next president of the US, though Barack is putting up a good fight.

what i find funny is our votes dont matter. all they do is try to win the big states. cali Illinois
new york penn ohio florida texas.

john mccain and obama can unite this country. they both can reach across the aisle. i think a mccain or obama in the white house would be great but obama is going to set a timetable and raise taxes and make gov't controlled health care. from the country that brought you fema brings health care.

democrats want to penalize people who make more than 97k a year b/c they think they are getting out of SS taxes. if you make 50 million you only pay social security taxes up to 97k the rest isnt taxed. democrats think thats unfair lol. if i make 50 million a year the 600 a month from social security might pay for the rims on my mercedes. democrats want to raise it b/c that is a backdoor way to fill the account up with money that republicans and democrats stole. how can an account that you pay for your whole life not exsist? why because they stole it. how can you and wife put money in then when you die your wife gets your social security and when she dies the money left over stays and children dont inherit it. so privatize it.

this country shouldnt have to suffer for the 5% of lazy people. we need to fix medicine cost similar to the phone and energy companies regulate price. I ant a plan to give me best coverage and best doctors not gov't stuff. the medical industry is so large the gov't has no business being in it. one thing we have learned is that the USA is not a good business.

we need economist and scientist in washington and less lawyers defining what is is.

To go off topic along with you here, I think your analysis of Social Security is poor.

It's just my opinion, but payroll taxes in general are too high. There's so much argument about Federal Tax rates, and the payroll tax is ignored.

By raising or removing the ceiling on payroll taxes, couldn't you lower the payroll tax rate, and still generate more money overall? Couldn't you preserve some form of Social Security?

I don't like the payroll tax one bit, but if I concede that we need it, why should there be any ceiling on it, when all that does is take a larger portion of income away from those who have the least to begin with? You might relieve pressure from people who's income is already marginalized so much, that they are forced to receive some kind of public support--even if it's just subsidized housing...and that might also relieve some pressure from government budgets.

You may not completely agree with what Obama has said, but then again, if he were President, there's about 0% chance of that scenario (payroll taxes being applied to any income) taking place. More likely would be a compromise plan that simply raises the ceiling on payroll taxes--and that's something that needs to happen anyway.

Last edited:
FYI, I agree with SBTB almost exactly in my voting preferences. If it's McCain and Obama, I *probably* vote for McCain, though not for certain.

I think that Obama's speaking ability is far underappreciated--meaning that as a leader of the country, and in the world, his ability to bring people to his way of thinking is perhaps more valuable than any other trait.

We don't, and cannot expect a President to know about every possible issue. We want someone who can make a decision, and create some consensus on policy.

I could assume that Obama knows nothing, and it would only bother me a little. George Bush knew nothing, but partially because of his complete inability to speak, he was rarely able to convince us of anything.

Salesmanship counts.

I'd take a talking mule over a normal mule any day.

Last edited:
this country shouldnt have to suffer for the 5% of lazy people. we need to fix medicine cost similar to the phone and energy companies regulate price. I ant a plan to give me best coverage and best doctors not gov't stuff. the medical industry is so large the gov't has no business being in it. one thing we have learned is that the USA is not a good business.

we need economist and scientist in washington and less lawyers defining what is is.

The problem with the medical situation is that everybody in Washington is trying to figure out a way to pay incredibly high costs and nobody is trying to bring those costs down.

It's great that we have these amazing machines and techniques that can diagnose and find problems unheard up even 20 years ago. The downside is that now the use of these machines has become standard that if not met, opens a doctor up to malpractice. These machines cost $10,000,000 each. You want to control costs? Find a way to pay for these kinds of capital investments, otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.

>>You're being very vague. Is there a specific issue he has not been consistant on? Again, I'm not a serious Romney supporter, I could be just as happy with Mcain, but Romney is just more removed from Washington and that is why he is my second choice and McCain 3rd.

Well there is the matter of his run against Senator Kennedy in 1994 where he sought the support of the Log Cabin Republicans. Now he's the champion of the defense of marriage act. Then there's abortion. While a pro-choice position was essential to his '94 run against Senator Kennedy and his 2002 run for the state house in Massachusetts, he's now claiming that his position has 'evolved' into a pro-life stand. Clearly he's going to say whatever he feels like saying to get elected (or in this case, to be a serious nominee for the Republican Party). And then there's stem cell research and the environment where he was calling a coal-fired plant "...a plant that kills people" but later withdrew from a regional greenhouse gas initiative his team drafted because it was too expensive on the plants. I mean, there is a lot of room for change and evolution, but when it seems like you say what you have to in order to be electable, and that's what you have working for you, it's cheesy at best.

TPS

Well that diminishes him then, but typical for today's politicians. I wasn't even aware that he ran against Kennedy in 1994.

In this thread, I've seen a number of Obama vs. so-and-so elections thrown out. But I still have the question, as of now, how can Obama even win the Democratic nomination? Every poll I've seen, with the obvious exception of Illinois and the possibility of Georgia, show Clinton with mostly double digit leads...especially in states that have a lot of delegates up for grabs such as NY and California. My question for you political pundits, is despite this latest win for Obama, how can he possibly overcome such a well oiled Clinton machine?

Last edited:
In this thread, I've seen a number of Obama vs. so-and-so elections thrown out. But I still have the question, as of now, how can Obama even win the Democratic nomination? Every poll I've seen, with the obvious exception of Illinois and the possibility of Georgia, show Clinton with mostly double digit leads...especially in states that have a lot of delegates up for grabs such as NY and California. My question for you political pundits, is despite this latest win for Obama, how can he possibly overcome such a well oiled Clinton machine?

I don't know that he can unless South Carolina gives him an enormous groundswell of support, and that saddens me. I've been distributing that SC victory speech as much as possible to try and at least do my part to spread the good word.

There isn't enough polling data out yet for the ST states and most available polls are pre-SC. Most of the polls in smaller states have 10 to 30 point undecideds as well. CA, NY, and NJ are the only states with more than a couple polls, but they are naturally strong Clinton states.

Obama needs a week of good media coverage (so far so good) and a good debate performance on Thursday. The Clintons still have the advantage, but they are due for an oil change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom