Media Questions Re: 2013 2nd Round Pick (1 Viewer)

Texans_Chick

Veteran
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Greetings peoples who remember my drivebys...

Saw the reddit news re: your 2013 2nd round pick. Though it was widely reported, I don't think the media picked up on the bigger questions about his answer.

I frame the questions in this blog post.Roger Goodell Should Explain Saints 2013 Draft Penalty

If the NFL held out the possibility that the Saints could get their 2013 draft pick back, did Goodell already make that determination? If so, how did the Saints fail to cooperate? Or did he even remember that he said it was possible for the Saints to get that pick back?

I interviewed Rich Eisen today, and he said that question was above his paygrade but he'd try to ask it when he interviews Goodell on Friday.

In addition, I tweeted this on my @StephStradley account:

Link here: https://twitter.com/StephStradley/status/296406981294583808

Dear working media in NOLA. Please ask <s>@</s>nflcommish about this: http://bit.ly/XQuEYz <s>#</s>Saints fans should get clear explanation

Though I often am credentialed media, I am going to the Super Bowl as a eating, drinking, being merry non-media type person. Because hello, NOLA.

But I think to announce this on Monday was fuel on fire counterproductive. And that it isn't a bigger story is surprising to me. Yes, the media noted that the Saints weren't getting the pick. And that this was the first announcement of it. But without further commentary of what was said at the time of the Saints appeal of the punishment.

So, if this is something y'all care about, feel free to send this link to those who you think might be able to get these answers. And RT the twitter thing. Because you were not at fault, and you deserve answers.

Looking forward to this weekend.

I think we all know why it isn't a bigger story. Appreciate your efforts on this subject.

I think we all know why it isn't a bigger story. Appreciate your efforts on this subject.

I'm not sure that most national media remember that it was possible the Saints could get that 2nd pick back.

I seemed to recall that. But it took a bit of digging to find those old articles.

I'm not sure that most national media remember that it was possible the Saints could get that 2nd pick back.

I seemed to recall that. But it took a bit of digging to find those old articles.

Another little fact you may want to mention. The professionalism of Roger Goodell after informing players of suspension through the media, he informed the Saints organization they wouldn't be getting the 2nd round pick back on a PFT internet chat.

Another little fact you may want to mention. The professionalism of Roger Goodell after informing players of suspension through the media, he informed the Saints organization they wouldn't be getting the 2nd round pick back on a PFT internet chat.

PFT chat?

Saw it on the reddit chat.

And my question is, is this the first time the Saints knew this? The reddit chat made it public, but were the Saints informed privately first?

Keep up the good fight and everyone keep spreading the word

So Wyche said the Saints could get the 2nd rounder back in exchange for a 3rd and 6th rounder if the Saints had a bad season. I think our season qualifies, and I would take that trade.

So Wyche said the Saints could get the 2nd rounder back in exchange for a 3rd and 6th rounder if the Saints had a bad season. I think our season qualifies, and I would take that trade.

???

I don't understand what you are saying. Goodell took away your 2013 2nd round pick. And said yesterday there is "no chance" of getting it back. You can make all sorts of trades to try to deal with a lost pick, but your organization is still being punished.

I just think that Goodell should articulate specifically why what was said in April 2012 was not complied with by the Saints such that they could get their pick back.

I just think that Goodell should

this is where you've gone wrong. I am definitely applauding the effort and agree with you wholeheartedly.

But when it comes to Goodell, "should" has no place in the conversation. He doesn't believe he is accountable to anyone except for himself and the legitimation of any penalties are balanced only in the megalomaniac's mind.

There are a ton of things he "should" have done or been doing or be doing - but he's doing none of that.

And the media, by and large, has given him a pass. As the scandal wore on and the machinations became more transparently arbitrary, people started asking questions. But never was it hard hitting. And now that Payton has been reinstated, the narrative has shifted to "closure" and "moving on."

The 2nd round draft pick is a forgotten footnote. It will be mentioned come draft time - the reddit comment was, I think, one of the many lapses in judgment he's made.

I think he felt like he could say that and it wouldn't matter - or he just doesn't care because he's above the law - and the issue will resurface as the draft gets closer.

Why?

Because if there's one thing he's been consistent about, it's dragging the franchise's reputation through the media mud, as a platform for his hollow and sanctimonious platitudes about "integrity" and "player safety."

And he'll do it again. For the same reason he's done it before. And in the same style he's done before.

And Rich Eisen will say nothing. Nor will anyone else.

Maybe that's overly cynical - but the reality is that not enough people care.

One day, though, to the NFL's detriment, he's going to screw with another team and another team's fanbase. And no amount of "told ya so" from fans like us who have seen, in detail, his disregard for the very things he's preaching from his pulpit about will matter then, either.

Not until he takes on a team or an issue that enough people care about to hold him accountable. But by then, it might be too late.

I would suggest that you send the link to your blog to:

florio@profootballtalk.com

Mike Florio has been very willing to show both sides of an issue. He would be very willing to ask the comiish trough questions during Super Bowl week.

PFT chat?

Saw it on the reddit chat.

And my question is, is this the first time the Saints knew this? The reddit chat made it public, but were the Saints informed privately first?

When Sean was reinstated, he said the pick was not discussed then. So, it doesn't seem like there was any communication. It is totally in character for Goodell to not have mentioned it to the team before he said it publicly.

Rich Eisen is not going to ask any questions either, he's nothing but a toady for the league. I used to enjoy his work, but his sanctimonious drivel when the story first broke was insufferable. Haven't listened to him since.

Appreciate your efforts here, though.

I would suggest that you send the link to your blog to:

florio@profootballtalk.com

Mike Florio has been very willing to show both sides of an issue. He would be very willing to ask the comiish trough questions during Super Bowl week.

I've reached out to a number of folks I know.

The complicating factor is that most NFL media are in New Orleans, and they have SB stories to write. Not on top burner now.

But if folks want to send it different places, to help what I've already done, it can't make things any worse than it is.

???

I don't understand what you are saying. Goodell took away your 2013 2nd round pick. And said yesterday there is "no chance" of getting it back. You can make all sorts of trades to try to deal with a lost pick, but your organization is still being punished.

He means that when the league made mention of the possibility of us getting our second round pick returned Steve Wyche said this.

"The Saints could get it back in terms of getting back a second-round draft choice but it will come at the expense of some draft picks at the other end. … Let's say the Saints do not have a good season and they have a high second-round draft pick. The league could say, 'Okay, you can petition for that pick, we'll give it back to you, but it will come at the expense of a third and sixth-round pick.'

He means that when the league made mention of the possibility of us getting our second round pick returned Steve Wyche said this.

So odd.

The NFL did a much better job with the closure involving Spygate. Of course, NE team. Would have changed NFL history had Belichick et al been suspended.

It is obvious how damaging the penalties were already in 2012. To announce a final determination now is dumb, and the whole idea of this still not being over by 2013 draft is spiteful.

I don't expect Goodell to change his view because Goodell, but I would think it is fair for him to have to articulate his reasoning, if only to make him feel uncomfortable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom