Media Questions Re: 2013 2nd Round Pick (2 Viewers)

It is obvious how damaging the penalties were already in 2012. To announce a final determination now is dumb, and the whole idea of this still not being over by 2013 draft is spiteful.

I don't expect Goodell to change his view because Goodell, but I would think it is fair for him to have to articulate his reasoning, if only to make him feel uncomfortable.

100% of this is accurate.

0% of this is anything Goodell cares about.

I think media attention to this would do more than just make him feel uncomfortable. It's true he dangled that possibility, so that's fact 1. It's also true that he said it isn't going to happen. He should outline how he got from 1-2, and what steps he took when he got there. Because at issue during this whole thing, even if it hasn't been the main focus, is Goodell's temperament and professionalism. Here is another chance to make plain whether he is or isn't the sort of guy who is cut out to be the commissioner of the NFL.

I think we all already know that he isn't. But if it turns out that he arrived at his conclusion that Saints can't have their pick back because, Goodell, and that he informed them through Reddit -- it may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Maybe then everyone, including the owners, will be able to see he's a childish chump.

That moment is coming, mark my words. He's already shown what he's like and that he isn't likely to stop being like that. Soon he's going to irk enough owners that his days are cut short. That process can't start too soon, imo.

Roger Goodell threw out that idea the day his mentor pulled the rug out from under him with the player suspensions.

Greetings peoples who remember my drivebys...

Saw the reddit news re: your 2013 2nd round pick. Though it was widely reported, I don't think the media picked up on the bigger questions about his answer.

I frame the questions in this blog post.Roger Goodell Should Explain Saints 2013 Draft Penalty

If the NFL held out the possibility that the Saints could get their 2013 draft pick back, did Goodell already make that determination? If so, how did the Saints fail to cooperate? Or did he even remember that he said it was possible for the Saints to get that pick back?

I interviewed Rich Eisen today, and he said that question was above his paygrade but he'd try to ask it when he interviews Goodell on Friday.

In addition, I tweeted this on my @StephStradley account:

Link here: https://twitter.com/StephStradley/status/296406981294583808

Dear working media in NOLA. Please ask <s>@</s>nflcommish about this: http://bit.ly/XQuEYz <s>#</s>Saints fans should get clear explanation

Though I often am credentialed media, I am going to the Super Bowl as a eating, drinking, being merry non-media type person. Because hello, NOLA.

But I think to announce this on Monday was fuel on fire counterproductive. And that it isn't a bigger story is surprising to me. Yes, the media noted that the Saints weren't getting the pick. And that this was the first announcement of it. But without further commentary of what was said at the time of the Saints appeal of the punishment.

So, if this is something y'all care about, feel free to send this link to those who you think might be able to get these answers. And RT the twitter thing. Because you were not at fault, and you deserve answers.

Looking forward to this weekend.

Can we trade with Houston for you? In return, the Texans will get Jeff Duncan.

Roger Goodell threw out that idea the day his mentor pulled the rug out from under him with the player suspensions.

:plus-un2:

The only reason that Goodell didn't give us back our second round pick is because the players fought him, Brees and Vitt were outspoken in their defense of the team and questioning the investigation, and Saints fans questioned him and opposed his actions at every turn, pointing out how ridiculous the investigation was. He does not like our team, players or fans because we stood up to him and didn't just take our railroading laying down and we made him look bad in the process. It doesn't matter what explanation he gives, that's the true reason for not giving us our second round pick. It's spite and he's doing it because he's petty, he can, and the media is complicit and will allow him to get away with it.

It was a bit telling that nobody knew, including the Saints until Goodell posted it on Reddit because just a few hours later the excerpts fromJoe Vitt's testimony was released on Nola.com (something mainstream media has also conveniently ignored) If you haven't seen it, you should really take a look:

Joe Vitt's anger, frustration and wit displayed in New Orleans Saints bounty appeals testimony | NOLA.com
Joe Vitt questioned Mike Cerullo's credibility during Paul Tagliabue's bounty hearing | NOLA.com
During questioning by NFL's attorney, Joe Vitt said Gregg Williams lied in his testimony | NOLA.com

The question needs to be asked: Given that the NFL stated there was a possibility of the 2013 second round pick being restored based on the actions of the team, what did the Saints fail to do to have the pick restored?

I have no idea what is going on. It makes little sense for Goodell not to modify the 2013 sanction--don't we need closure and hasn't enough damage been done to reputuations of all involved, including Goodell's? And it makes no sense to make the announcement that the pick will not be restored in response to an online question at the outset of Super Bowl week in New Orleans.

What is this guy thinking? I retain a kernal of hope that Goodell simply chose his words poorly--that he intended to simply say that as of this time the sanction of loss the 2013 pick was still in place rather than that the league had made a definitive decision after review not to restore that pick. I said a "kernal" of hope. No, I would not wager that it was simply a misunderstanding or badly selected words.

I firmly believe the second Vilma filed suit was the second G'dell decided to not return that pick. He was defied and his ego could not stand for it.

This should clear it up. I asked Jeff Duncan this very question on Nola before the deleted me.

Duncan:
Mickey Loomis himself said a couple of weeks ago that he had no expectations that the club would recoup the second round draft pick. And not sure it was up to Goodell or the league to inform that Saints they wouldn't get betting it back. After all, this was the original ruling. The only "news" would have been IF the NFL had reinstated the pick. Otherwise, everything is status quo....

Just tweeted this:

@riverratgomez: "...the commissioner would consider... modifying the forfeiture of the team's 2013 second-round draft choice." -@nflcommish #liar

Feel free to RT :)
Probably won't change anything, but might as well cause a rukkus. Gotta do something over the offseason .

This should clear it up. I asked Jeff Duncan this very question on Nola before the deleted me.

Duncan:
Mickey Loomis himself said a couple of weeks ago that he had no expectations that the club would recoup the second round draft pick. And not sure it was up to Goodell or the league to inform that Saints they wouldn't get betting it back. After all, this was the original ruling. The only "news" would have been IF the NFL had reinstated the pick. Otherwise, everything is status quo....

What? Announcing for the first time that there is "no chance" that the Saints get the pick back IS NEWS. And has been reported as news. And I think it is worth finding out his reasoning why the Saints have not fully cooperated to end "culture of bounties" enough to do what was discussed 4/2012.

That is all sorts of bull feces.

What? Announcing for the first time that there is "no chance" that the Saints get the pick back IS NEWS. And has been reported as news. And I think it is worth finding out his reasoning why the Saints have not fully cooperated to end "culture of bounties" enough to do what was discussed 4/2012.

That is all sorts of bull feces.

Yeah, now you see why most Saints fans would like to ship Duncan off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom