Media Room Speaker Setup (1 Viewer)

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OK folks, need some quick recommendations.

I need to submit how I want to surround speakers configured in the media room in my new house to the builder today.

Originally I was thinking of doing the speakers in the ceiling. Generally what is better for theater surround between wall or ceiling?

What about 5.1 vs 7.1?

How should the be configured. How high up the wall for wall mount or what position for ceiling mount?

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Since the builder is pre wiring everything for me I want to make sure I have the best set up.

Oh, the room is 18'x8' in most of the room, a little wider in the back third of the room for some extra width to the seating. Thought that might make a difference.

Buzd and the other techies lurk the tech board. (Giving great advice).

:)

Headed out so I can't give much detail, but here are some basics. Others should be able to provide more useful info.

I would stay away from in ceiling unless it's the only option. Generally you want your surrounds close to or less than three feet above seated ear level.

In my opinion rear surrounds aren't a must have for everyone, but if you're engineering a media room is makes sense to add them.

Placement depends on your room size/shape and seating position. Dolby's site gives some basic placement guidelines based on viewing distance. Subwoofer placement is harder since it depends on all of the above plus equipment and preference. Corner placement is common, but so is middle of the wall and combinations of each with dual subs. I've always used trial and error with raceway for subs.

Avoid mounting in the ceiling if you can. Surround sound is programmed to be directional. You want your speakers to be placed as closely as possible to those locations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

would think this would be more of yeti's territory.

sub placement you get more boom out of corner, not necessarily the best sound though. sub is non directional, and supposed to envelope you. but distortion kills it., whether the speaker itself, or a not so perfect wall..

one option is put a front and a rear sub with a 7.2 type setup, using 2 smaller subs, rather than a large one, it'll give you the fuller sound, without having to have it rattle the neighborhood.
for best sound, having ear height, but for most.. that is not greatest placements for life happenings...

Subs are definitely touchy. Biggest is not always bestest. Placement and range and integration with the other speakers are very important.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The other guys have most of it covered already: Severum, Brennan77, robsmith32.

A few other points: You didn't mention the nature of your floor, whether it's carpeted, hardwood, tile etc. If the room has both it's another issue.

To begin with the directionality of the high frequency sound waves insures they will reflect off the walls, a higher wall placement insures the waves aren't "soaked" into the back of a couch etc. Don't worry about your highs or mid-range being weak. They will be whatever the speakers are able to reproduce.

Bass is different and the easiest range of the music to "lose in the room". Low frequency isn't just "non-directional", it wants to be "omni-directional", meaning it wants to flow like water outward in all directions.

Subs must have floor placement by rule; don't be tempted to elevate them unless you're forced to by obstructions. Find another placement if obstructions are an issue. If placed above the floor the bass will "roll out then flow downwards" as if it actually was water.

When subs are placed on carpet expect the carpet to "soak up some power" the same way the carpet will soak up water flowing across it. The perfect floor for deep bottom end bass is a hard floor, whether wood, tile or linoleum.

I saw corner placement mentioned; that works well indeed. In essence it mimics the way older corner horn speakers were designed and placed, like my old '60 model Electrovoice Patrician corner horn speakers with 30 inch woofers. The walls will actually try to become part of a "whole room enclosure".

A trick you can use with carpet: If you can afford some Plexiglas rectangles that offices put under chairs to stop damage from chair rollers you can overcome much of the bass cancellation by the carpet. Just aim them outwards long-way out with the sub at the edge.

BTW, best placement of the master's "throne chair"? You'll find with corner woofer placement the center of the room will have the most concentration of bass. If you want to "blast your brains out" (lol) put your chair near there while you lean back watching a freight train come thundering across the wide-screen, or while you lean back and close your eyes and listen to your favorite artist.

For what it's worth I learned a lot of tricks as a certified audio/video consultant and salesman for what used to be Savard Sound Systems in Baton Rouge a few decades back.

Have fun! Wish I could hear the results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom