Meet new FB Kyle Eckel (1 Viewer)

He will wear #36.

From the Saints website:

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Team/Roster/People/Kyle Eckel.aspx

2008 – Played in five regular season games for his hometown Philadelphia Eagles, carrying the ball 24 times for 79 yards and added one tackle on special teams…Made his Eagles debut and gained 27 yards on six carries against Arizona, Nov. 27…Posted season-highs with nine rushes for 28 yards vs. Cleveland, Dec. 15…Played in all three of the Eagles’ playoff games and made three tackles on special teams. 2007 – Played in 12 regular season games for the Patriots after being called up from the practice squad and gained 90 yards on 33 rushing attempts with two touchdowns, caught one pass for six yards and made 12 tackles on special teams…Made his NFL debut Oct. 1 at Cincinnati and carried three times for 11 yards…Scored his first career touchdown on a one-yard fourth quarter run at Dallas, Nov. 14…Posted career highs with 10 carries for 40 yards and a touchdown at Buffalo, Nov. 18, a game that also saw him catch his first career pass…Played in two postseason games, including Super Bowl XLII, but did not crack the stat sheet. 2006 – Spent the first portion of the season on the Miami Dolphins’ reserve/military list…Reinstated on Nov. 2 and spent the final nine games on the Commissioner’s exempt permission list. 2005 – Spent the season on the Dolphins’ reserve/military list.

I remember Eck from his college days and boy could that kid run. He ran like backs are supposed to run, like they stole something. He was fun to watch but I don't remember much about him blocking.

As far as his catching goes, I don't think Payton will be dialing up a lot of passes for the FB anyway. Having Heath's pass catching ability was awesome, just another weapon in our vast arsenal but IMO it wasn't critical to the team's success. It was kinda like a cherry on top. We have so many weapons that can do a lot more after the catch, so I'm not worried about the new FB's hands.

I hope we can get decent lead blocking from someone, but Heath's leadership and winning mentality can not be replaced. That man was playing with a chip on his shoulder and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Trying to look at the bright side of things:

Since fullback is not exactly a position that teams stockpile, it seems like this might be one position where the best available player "off the street" might be pretty darn good.

But can he blockkk?

this is the question. I liked the Keasey kid from SF because I've seen him pancake guys on ST and also pass block behind that horrible line SF had.
Eckel seems like a ballcarrier type of FB, but let's give him a look.
Not many weak wimps graduating from the Naval Academy.
At the end of the day, he sounds a lot like Evans.

I liked Keasey, too, as a blocking back.

I dont think it's a coincidence when we look for players at a moments notice, we are picking players that fit the mold, character wise. With David Thomas & Kyle Eckel coming from New England, you know their work ethic & FB IQ will be whats needed to pick up a new scheme quickly. Thanks to the Pats for doing the dirty work and molding players that we can make successful.

If Loomis and Payton think enough of this kid to bring him in, I'd say they must be confident in his blocking ability.

I dont think it's a coincidence when we look for players at a moments notice, we are picking players that fit the mold, character wise. With David Thomas & Kyle Eckel coming from New England, you know their work ethic & FB IQ will be whats needed to pick up a new scheme quickly. Thanks to the Pats for doing the dirty work and molding players that we can make successful.

I agree. He also probably got a good word from andy reid in Phily. Remember, Phily signed Leonard Weaver from Seattle, so they were not likely to keep Eckel, no matter how good he is/was unless Weaver got hurt.

I remember Eck from his college days and boy could that kid run. He ran like backs are supposed to run, like they stole something. He was fun to watch but I don't remember much about him blocking.

As far as his catching goes, I don't think Payton will be dialing up a lot of passes for the FB anyway. Having Heath's pass catching ability was awesome, just another weapon in our vast arsenal but IMO it wasn't critical to the team's success. It was kinda like a cherry on top. We have so many weapons that can do a lot more after the catch, so I'm not worried about the new FB's hands.

I hope we can get decent lead blocking from someone, but Heath's leadership and winning mentality can not be replaced. That man was playing with a chip on his shoulder and I hope he makes a full recovery.
I'm not saying Eckel is good or not in the passing game, but before coming here, Evans wasn't much known for his pass catching ability either. In 9 season before this year he only had like 40 passes. He's already brock his carrer best in 6 games so who knows

How do you figure that? Not saying you are wrong, but I just don't know what would indicate that.

Because I know what Mike Karney brought to this offense... and it was next to nothing. All Karney did for our offense was limit it while he was on the field.

I'm confident Eckel will do more for us than that... even having never seen him play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom