Meeting today about Fed Employees Furlough (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
It's looking more and more likely -- maybe...

Bottom line -- 1 day a week don't come to work -- don't get paid that day. Every week for a maximum of 22 weeks.

I still don't know if it's a scare tactic (by whom not sure????).

Even if "sequestration" happens, furloughs aren't guaranteed. I think my friends and I will go to our congresspeople's office to protest on the day we are off.

My family can absorb it -- cutting back on investments and savings and no entertainment dollars....but there are others who can't.

No problem doing my part...but are others doing theirs?

Bottom line -- 1 day a week don't come to work -- don't get paid that day. Every week for a maximum of 22 weeks.

Even if "sequestration" happens, furloughs aren't guaranteed. I think my friends and I will go to our congresspeople's office to protest on the day we are off.

My family can absorb it -- cutting back on investments and savings and no entertainment dollars....but there are others who can't.

Considering its OUR elected officials that have caused our current situation Id say they don't give a ****.

And neither do I. A beaurocrat out of work is a good thing, and so is downsizing the fed govt, by any means necessary. Try being in the private sector nowadays. Yall have it good

I feel fortunate. I work for a sub-agency of USDA and our acting chief sent out an e-mail saying they don't foresee any furloughs. Hoping this doesn't happen for any of my fellow civil servants in other agencies.

This is ridiculous all the way around. I really hope you guys aren't impacted ultimately.

We are being told that we won't have any furloughs right away, but that they haven't been ruled out. And no, legislators do not care about how this affects people's families.

We are being told that we won't have any furloughs right away, but that they haven't been ruled out. And no, legislators do not care about how this affects people's families.

Yeah. Most likely will start in April is what we are being told. And all as a political hot potato.

I work for a contractor for NOAA. We are getting ready for hurricane bouy refurbishing, not sure how this will effect us yet.

I'm DoD so I know I will be impacted when it happens. Looking at 5 months of pay reduction by 20% or I figure what would likely average out to somewhere close to 700 per month for the average employee. 800,000 DoD employees, 750,00 or so will be impacted... Somewhere close to 500 million dollars each month that won't be going into supporting these people's families. Mortgages, student loans, car notes... These items may be impacted and if so, does the gov't end up bailing out the companies that weren't getting paid?

3\4 of a million workers impacted in the DoD alone. Some will be fine, but many will struggle... However, they want the supervisors to schedule the furlough days so that it has minimal impact on the process. So the politicians don't et to feel the burn that those of us facing furlough...

I am not in a Fed job nor work for a company with any Govt contracts so my job is not effected by all of this. Good for you being in a position to absorb it. Just enjoy the extra time with family. At least it's in the Spring and Summer. If I had a choice to take a 20% cut for a 22 week 4 day work week I would be a happy camper. Surely most others can find away to do the same. Cut out cable, eating out, etc for a while.

I'm DoD so I know I will be impacted when it happens. Looking at 5 months of pay reduction by 20% or I figure what would likely average out to somewhere close to 700 per month for the average employee. 800,000 DoD employees, 750,00 or so will be impacted... Somewhere close to 500 million dollars each month that won't be going into supporting these people's families. Mortgages, student loans, car notes... These items may be impacted and if so, does the gov't end up bailing out the companies that weren't getting paid?

3\4 of a million workers impacted in the DoD alone. Some will be fine, but many will struggle... However, they want the supervisors to schedule the furlough days so that it has minimal impact on the process. So the politicians don't et to feel the burn that those of us facing furlough...

Are you actually upset that they are asking you to schedule it to minimize impact on job performance?

I am not in a Fed job nor work for a company with any Govt contracts so my job is not effected by all of this. Good for you being in a position to absorb it. Just enjoy the extra time with family. At least it's in the Spring and Summer. If I had a choice to take a 20% cut for a 22 week 4 day work week I would be a happy camper. Surely most others can find away to do the same. Cut out cable, eating out, etc for a while.

Nice suggestions, people will survive. That's not the point. The issue here is that Congress is becoming so devisive that they no longer compromise, allowing things like this to happen. They have no concern over the impact it will have on families throughout the country.

Only a select group of federal workers will be impacted, with the heaviest impact on DOD employees. Their pay has been frozen for the past 4 years, and now they face a 20 per cent cut in pay for almost half a year. At the same time food and gas prices continue to rise, so the purchasing power of these workers continue to fall and the Congress is on vacation.

In the last few decades, we have seen annual budgets not be passed, a complete shutdown of the federal government for a week during the Clinton Administration, a fiscal cliff deal not be passed until the last day of the year, resulting in the IRS not be responsive enough to returning taxpayer refunds (yet not changing the day taxes must be filed), this potential sequester 5 days away while the President plays golf in Hawaii and the Congress off on vacation. We have seen the national deficit increase from 7 to 12 trillion dollars in one year (1st year of the Obama Administration), and now projected increases to 22 trillion by 2018.

The sequester is projected to reduce the budget by $880 billion dollars, and the most majority of the "savings" will be applied to labor (government workers and contractors). Yest during this same time the deficit will increase 3 trillion.

People will survive, federal workers will manage, but we have a broken government system that shows no signs of improving.

Lets say these cuts go into effect, aside from the personal income loss, how would this country be affected by workers not coming in one day per week?

More specific since the example was given, what if the DoD had workers skip one day per week? What would we see as far as loss of services? How would we be effected? What would not get done?

Not trying to be insensitive, I just have no clue what 800,000 DoD employees do and what effects would come from them skipping one day of work. If this would go on for five months,would our country collapse, suffer considerably or not even notice? What projects/services would be most noticed?

Lets say these cuts go into effect, aside from the personal income loss, how would this country be affected by workers not coming in one day per week?

More specific since the example was given, what if the DoD had workers skip one day per week? What would we see as far as loss of services? How would we be effected? What would not get done?

Not trying to be insensitive, I just have no clue what 800,000 DoD employees do and what effects would come from them skipping one day of work. If this would go on for five months,would our country collapse, suffer considerably or not even notice? What projects/services would be most noticed?

Good question. If managed properly, there would be little noticable impact. Maybe some marginal delays in procurement acquisition, but the world would keep revolving. There is discussion that we may not be able to put all our carrier forces on deployment, which would reduce our readiness and increase wear and tear on the equipment.

Any furlough which equates to a pay reduction is effectively a 100% tax on federal workers as they are not receiving any pay. They taxable income decreases for the period in which they receive no pay, but they are foregoing 100% pay for 22 days. These workers are losing a month's pay because our Congress won't talk with each other.

Everything will be just be stretched a little thinner.

That's the problem with indiscriminate broad cuts. And for the most part, everyone will still expect the same level of operations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom