mel kiper just defended reggie bush (1 Viewer)

Jackavelli

Sarang Upso
Reaction score
I don't agree with it, but here is basically what was said.

on mike and mike a minute ago kiper and todd mcshay (sp?) were going over each of their mock drafts.

mcshay saying dallas will draft rb felix in first round, but it was a reach and he personally would not draft him in first round.

kiper asked why, and mcshay said he's one dimensional that he only runs the ball on the outside and out runs people. kiper said he can do the same thing in the nfl.

mcshay says nobody does that, just like that kid who outran everybody in pop warner, high school, and college; he said name one player who out runs players on the outside.

kiper said it can be done.

mcshay said how did that work out for reggie bush in the nfl

kiper said don't talk bad about reggie bush he carried that team to the nfc championship game and he is a hell of a player.

I don't know if I would agree that he carried the team to the NFC championship game, but I would agree that he was a big reason along with Drew and a number of other players.

Reggie's biggest issue is that last year he was not used in the same way he was this year. Had Payton put Stecker or Thomas in as the starter and continued to use Reggie like he did the first year I believe he would have had a better year then he had.

i disagree with Kiper's response on reggie because the conversation was about how well can a rb run sucessfully on the outside in the nfl, example used reggie bush. instead of answering the question about how well reggie can run on the outside in the nfl, kiper said what he said.

Yeah, I just caught that too. Pretty bold over-statement.

Sometimes I wonder if Kiper watches the NFL.

Outrunning people on the outside is not a good RB strategy.

As for RB - I sure am glad he is on OUR side and not someone we would have to face and TRY and defend.

I don't know if I would agree that he carried the team to the NFC championship game, but I would agree that he was a big reason along with Drew and a number of other players.

Reggie's biggest issue is that last year he was not used in the same way he was this year. Had Payton put Stecker or Thomas in as the starter and continued to use Reggie like he did the first year I believe he would have had a better year then he had.

Succint and spot on! :9:

it's a stupid arguement, b/c even in college you can't make a living on the outside. If you watch Reggie Bush even in college he is at his best when he runs inside, and CUTS BACK to the outside. Every great running back in the NFL has that ability. Tomlinson lives on it, Peterson did it better than anyone i've ever seen. Problem for Reggie is that he's not seeing those cutback lanes, or they don't exist, I haven't decided yet. I believe our run blocking for Reggies style is average at best. IMO Reggie needs to be about 2 steps deeper in the backfield, and our plays should be quick hole plays like dives, slams etc. Anytime there is movement up front he starts tap dancing. I believe it's due to a number of things, and most of it is overthinking on the play calling, and on Reggie's part looking for the cut back.

I got off topic, but basicallly Reggie Bush was a great inside and outside runner coming out of college. It's the stereotype on his size that gets people thinking he can't do it, I believe it's his BEST attribute. Other than receiving out of the backfield of course.

it's a stupid arguement, b/c even in college you can't make a living on the outside. If you watch Reggie Bush even in college he is at his best when he runs inside, and CUTS BACK to the outside. Every great running back in the NFL has that ability. Tomlinson lives on it, Peterson did it better than anyone i've ever seen. Problem for Reggie is that he's not seeing those cutback lanes, or they don't exist, I haven't decided yet. I believe our run blocking for Reggies style is average at best. IMO Reggie needs to be about 2 steps deeper in the backfield, and our plays should be quick hole plays like dives, slams etc. Anytime there is movement up front he starts tap dancing. I believe it's due to a number of things, and most of it is overthinking on the play calling, and on Reggie's part looking for the cut back.

I got off topic, but basicallly Reggie Bush was a great inside and outside runner coming out of college. It's the stereotype on his size that gets people thinking he can't do it, I believe it's his BEST attribute. Other than receiving out of the backfield of course.

I've posted the stats before. Reggie is his best up the gut and struggles when ran outside. He should be used sparingly on tosses and off tackle. He's much more effective as a slash runner shooting between the tackles for 5-10 yards like Dunn used to do. Long runs rarely come running outside. They usually happen running up the middle or between the guard and tackle. We want him to break one, yet we keep stringing him out for 3 yards on tosses and off tackle plays.

Kiper's statements are dumb.

Do you think the Saints make the NFC Championship without Bush and the answer is no. Does Colston, 26 and Bress have the year they had and the answer is no. The entire offense in 06 was built around the weapon Bush is. That is what Kiper was saying and beyond the bais eyes and opinions many have formed about Bush it is True.

The more effective Bush is used in the Offense be it decoy or having the ball the better our Offense is period

YouTube - MN Vikings Adrian Peterson vs Chicago Bears

Peterson seems to have no trouble getting to the outside. Is it because he's a better runner. No, he and Reggie run at about the same speed....Peterson is better at breaking tackles, but Reggie is shiftier.

The reason for Petersons success is that sick blocking you see in that video. The O-line pushes back the bears D-line like 5 yards on most every play. Watch this next to a saints running play and you will know why Reggie hasn't lived up to the hype yet. Give Reggie the space Peterson has in this video and he would be as productive.

Do you think the Saints make the NFC Championship without Bush and the answer is no. Does Colston, 26 and Bress have the year they had and the answer is no. The entire offense in 06 was built around the weapon Bush is. That is what Kiper was saying and beyond the bais eyes and opinions many have formed about Bush it is True.

The more effective Bush is used in the Offense be it decoy or having the ball the better our Offense is period

I totally agree. Bush opened up the offense so much...

Entire defenses would shift when we'd motion him out. Teams started watching Reggie instead of the ball. I think he's got the best hands on our team (didn't seem so last year)

Asides from that, he converted tons of 3rd downs that he seemingly pulled out of his butt. "carried" the team is a bit of an overstatement, but I wouldn't discount his value so quickly.

I re-watched the Eagles divisional playoff game again last night and I can say that there is no way the Saints make it to NFC championship without DEUCE!! Reggie is cute and quick and a media darling, but Deuce is the heart of this team.

Has it also occurred to anyone that the hash marks are 21.5 feet wider in college football, so the amount of running room from where the center snaps the ball to the far sideline is 10.75 farther, therefore giving speed backs a bit more time to get to the edge??? That might just have something to do with it. :idunno:

Many people were responsible for 2006 (Brees, Colston, Bush, Deuce, OL) when our offense was so powerful our defense was watching games from the sidelines. That's how we were ranked 10th in the league in D that year.

But, remember that triple-option we ran all the time, our bread and butter? Bush made that play, because they were so concerned about him. Our offense wouldn't of been the same without him that year, stats or no stats, so that's why I agree with Mel.

Why we ever got away from that play is beyond me, so I hope to see it all the time in 2008.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom