Mel Kiper/Todd McShay's First Round Projection for the Saints... (1 Viewer)

saintsinNO

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
...this is as of April 7th. I really like Weatherspoon pick. I'm not too sold on Hughes yet for some reason. I guess they both seem pretty good, I just think Hughes is a little on the small side to be a DE. I like Weatherspoon for my money...and we've had luck with players who shave things into their heads... ;)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=5059813

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    46 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I just don't see the team drafting a hybrid guy since we haven't in the past, but I guess that could all change with GW...who knows...

For the love of god if both are available at 32 we need to find a way to get both.

It would be amazing to get Weatherspoon at 32 and trade up to possibly get Hughes in the mid to late 30's. Lance Moore, 6th rounder and a switch in picks in the 2nd would be very nice to get both these guys. I know it is wishful thinking and will not happen but a guy can dream.

It would be amazing to get Weatherspoon at 32 and trade up to possibly get Hughes in the mid to late 30's. Lance Moore, 6th rounder and a switch in picks in the 2nd would be very nice to get both these guys. I know it is wishful thinking and will not happen but a guy can dream.

Dangbeast wins for one of the funniest/cleverest avatars EVER

I think Hughes would be my pick. He gives you more flexibility in the kind of defensive schemes you can run (i.e., you can theoretically move him around more) while also being a real pass rusher (i.e., he's got more than just one move).

'Spoon would be great but you also have to wonder if the it's too early to be looking for a LB when you still need to see what you have in tho 2-3 young guys already on the roster (Dunbar, Casillias, Arnoux). Draft an LB at some point, sure, because maybe you want the insurance or you're willing to gamble on finding diamond playmaker in the rough...but I think that first pick would be ideally spent if it is for a guy on the DL who can cause havok.

I would take either player... it would be beyond awesome if we had a choice between the two.... if that were the case, I'd take Weatherspoon.

agree, if either one falls that far take em but if i had my choice, weatherspoon

just can't see 'Spoon falling to 32... would LOVE to see it no question... I just can't see it happenin'.

I wouldn't think so either, but a lot of mock drafts have him there. I think possibly because of character and his attitude at the combine, however, I don't see SP and GW shying away from that...they seem to embrace that attitude on D...I really think Weatherspoon would be a good fit...maybe we trade up...??

You gotta love the TCU pics of their players.

Very innovative and cool looking.

I would take either player, but I actually like Hughes slightly more than I do Weatherspoon. Hughes is a lot more discplined, is more physical at the point of attack (though he could improve his ability to disengage blockers), and offers greater versatility in terms of pass-rush. Though he has played with his hands in the dirt, he shows good fluidity and the ability to drop back in coverage. He's one of those hybrid players who I BELIEVE COULD VERY WELL PLAY DE in this league. I do not think he's too small. At the same time, I also believe that he could play SLB while offering you the versatility to play DE on nickel downs. He has a quick first step, and has developed better pass-rush moves though he can stand to increase his repetoire.

The grading on both is close, and in an ideal world, you would like to have both. If Brown was traded for a first or high second, then these two are certainly the players you would want to see the Saints target assuming Brandon Graham is not there. But if both are on the board, and you can only have one, for me it would be Hughes though I contend that you cannot truly go wrong with either. In the end, it will depend on what the Saints desire more out of this draft--a traditional backer or a hybrid guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom