Mel Kipers 2008 Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

i thought i saw it on the espn ticker one time

he has us picking Kentwan Batwan or something like that

if we pick him at #10 i will personally have a nice conversation with mickey loomis

i thought i saw it on the espn ticker one time

he has us picking Kentwan Batwan or something like that

if we pick him at #10 i will personally have a nice conversation with mickey loomis

FWIW Kiper's draft is out on the web, not just on "Insider". He does have the Saints taking Kentwan Balmer at #10. Ellis and Dorsey both are gone. There is no denying that Balmer is "interesting" (Balmer was supposedly 285 lb. at UNC. Then weighed in at the Senior Bowl at a "stacked" 308 lb. He apparently looked great early in the week then pulled a hamstring and didn't practice or play). But "interesting" isn't worth the 10th overall pick, more like the 20's.

I don;t like the mock, well our pick. Balmer at #10. I read some buzz about him last week at Sr. Bowl. I think he is an interesting prospect, but I don't think that he would even bet he best defensive player avaible. We could use 2 corners with MM injury, and toast on the otherside (whoever was there), Need help and ROLB and MLB, and yes could use a DT to help up front and could also use a more effective Safety. If the stand out player is avaible at 10 like Ellis or Dorsey than I am all for a DT. But I think Balmer would be a reach as things stand right now. I think he is alot more of a project than Ellis or Dorsey and 1st year Dline usually struggle. I didn;t see the rest of his mock, but i'd have to think one of the following was still there..... Ellis, Dorsey, Rivers, Talib, Conners, Philips, Jenkins, Rodgers Cromarte, McKelvin, Cason, Long, Gholston. I'd say any of those 12 would be better for this team. I listed all the top corners, because Mckenzie not be ready until 2009 likely means even if he hurries back he miss half the season and will need to be brough up to speed basicly missing 3/4's to the entire season (so to me that becomes or biggest need) Hopfully we land a good FA. And I listed the DE's last because I think its the least of our concerns on D, but I think I would grab either of those guys over Balmer as well (neither will be there anyways)

Our let our scouting staff do thier thing tho, but I think we can upgrade ourselves a little better with the pick. Thing may change come draft time depending on who we sign.

I, too, don't like this pick. Sometimes I think Kiper is totally clueless. He frequently has the Saints taking some player rated at least 10 picks after the one we have. Of course, the year he had us taking Grant, he complained on the ESPN coverage of the draft that we had "reached" for him, leading me to believe this guy has some serious memory issues.

technically couldn't you post picks 1-31 and it's not in it's entirety because you leave off the pats forfeited pick? lol

Mel has Green Bay picking Rivers at he 30 spot. I thought that he would have him a lot earlier. Or even to us at the #10 spot.

Could you imagine that LB corp?

Barnett, Hawk, Rivers! Thankfully, Rivers will not drop that far.

FWIW Kiper's draft is out on the web, not just on "Insider". He does have the Saints taking Kentwan Balmer at #10. Ellis and Dorsey both are gone. There is no denying that Balmer is "interesting" (Balmer was supposedly 285 lb. at UNC. Then weighed in at the Senior Bowl at a "stacked" 308 lb. He apparently looked great early in the week then pulled a hamstring and didn't practice or play). But "interesting" isn't worth the 10th overall pick, more like the 20's.

"Interesting" is more worth a second or third round pick, not something in the 20s, much less the Top 10. Personally, the fact that Balmer ballooned up 23 pounds in two months, then pulled a hamstring isn't interesting, it's red flag material. Like, "guy playing above the weight his body can handle". Sounds like an injury-prone career waiting to happen. I'd rather see a guy do like John Randle and just play lights out at 285. I know it's more difficult, but there are DTs in this league who get it done who aren't the "ideal weight".
At any rate, I'd be most upset to see the Saints waste the 10th overall pick on an undersized DT who tried to go on weight binge for the NFL.

It's really good news. There's no way the Saints take the UNC DT now.

No problem. I'm not too excited about this projection though. Nothing against Balmer (I really know nothing about the guy) but this seems to be a bit of a reach at least from what we currently know given Senior Bowl and last season.

I woudnt be mad at the Balmer pick, because we need DT help and the fact nobody has heard of him is the reason why most on this board dont want him, I dont know him but I know we need a young DT and if he is available and as good as the coaches and analyst believe he is why not select him? he could be the next Kevin Williams...if Coaches and Analyst alike believe he has improved his draft stock and we draft him, how is it a reach or a bad selection....did you have to hear of him in order for him to be a good pick? (general question) or shoudnt the fact that we filled a need make it a good pick? cause honestly you dont know what your gonna get outa any draft pick.

Hey what if I posted my espn insider login and password?????????? I am asking because I do not want to get banned for doing it but to be honest I get what I want and wouldn't mind you guys using my account.

Hey what if I posted my espn insider login and password?????????? I am asking because I do not want to get banned for doing it but to be honest I get what I want and wouldn't mind you guys using my account.

Just wouldn't be a good idea at all. For one, it doesn't necessarily break our rules but I'm sure you would violate your agreement with ESPN and would be terminated from your Insider access.

Btw, do you have any credit card numbers lying around that I can use? :dunno:

Just wouldn't be a good idea at all. For one, it doesn't necessarily break our rules but I'm sure you would violate your agreement with ESPN and would be terminated from your Insider access.

Btw, do you have any credit card numbers lying around that I can use? :dunno:

I forgot about that thanks for thinking for me its been a looooooong day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom