Mel Kiper's updated 1st round mock (3/4/08) (1 Viewer)

Care to share with the non-insiders?

Kiper has Mayo in the first round at number 24. Connor is nowhere to be seen, and I think based on what has been said about him lately that he will be a second round pick. Justin King CB Penn St. was also a first rounder in this latest mock draft. Also seems like DRC is generating huge buzz (a month and a half ago, the dude was a projected 3rd rounder...this is an ascent of Phillip Rivers proportions).

conner could be a good second round pickup for us. im of the opinion that he is a pure wlb, not a mlb like everyone seems to think on here.

he mainly was a wlb in college

He has Rivers going to Arizona at 16, which is right where I think his worth is. I would love it if we could trade with someone between 10 and 15 even for just a replacement 4th pick (Jet's got it for Vilma) so we can take Rivers or one of the equally valued CBs back there.

From Mel's Chat this afternoon:
-------------------------
Jackson (Fallston, MD): Mel, your latest mock has the Ravens taking Ellis at 8, but DT really isn't a huge area of need for them. What are the chances they get DR-C or McKelvin at that spot and address the huge need at CB?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:27 PM ET ) If you're picking 8th, you have to get one of your top 3-4 players. To me, on my board Ellis is the guy. You're getting good value there. You're getting a guy that could be the top 2-3 player on someone's board. At 8, Ellis is a better player than McKelvin. And DT is a need.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:27 PM ET ) And if Cincy jumps from 9 to 7 to get Ellis, then Baltimore probably would look at a CB and a guy like Rodgers-Cromartie. But Ellis would be a steal at 8.
------------------------
Chris (Gilford, NH): Mel, has Rodgers-Cromartie really jumped that much to warrent the Patriots selecting him with number seven overall?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:29 PM ET ) If he had a Michigan helmet on or a USC helmet on, he would be a guaranteed No. 7 pick. You wouldn't have known he was from Tennessee State if he had a different helmet on at the Senior Bowl practices. He has done everything right. He has nailed this whole process so far. He's the No. 1 CB in this draft. He moved up after the Senior Bowl practice and he moved up even further after the combine workouts. He could go 7, 8, 10, 15.

His last question during the chat was about the Saints:

Mike, DC: Which defensive tackle could find his way to the Saints #10 spot?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:59 PM ET ) DT? None of them. No chance of Dorsey and Ellis being there at No. 10. Dorsey goes 2, at worst 3. And I don't feel good about dropping Ellis to 8. And it's too early for Balmer at 10. New Orleans then can look at CB. They brought in Randall Gay. That's why I think McKelvin, who's also a great return man would help that secondary. Since they passed on Trufant a couple of years ago, they've been trying to find a CB. Drafting a quality CB is something they need to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom