Mellencamp vs Springsteen (1 Viewer)

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Wide awake , in fact.. which is why my thoughts on this matter are so coherent.

The thing Mellencamp lacks is one singular song that is as perfect as Born to Run…. BUT if you put their respective “Americana as an indictment of America” songs head to head- Pink Houses is a far better song that Born in the USA in my opinion.

I realize that JM has his share of clunkers .. R.O.C.K. in the USA, anyone? Scarecrow?? And I realize that i may in fact be biased since the first concert i ever attended was John COUGAR Mellencamp at the BR Centroplex… but i stand by this thread .
Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow. I’m not a Mellencamp fan at all, but that song wasn’t a clunker. Those were some powerful lyrics in that song and politically on point for that moment in American political history.

OP
Mr. Blue Sky

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow. I’m not a Mellencamp fan at all, but that song wasn’t a clunker. Those were some powerful lyrics in that song and politically on point for that moment in American political history.

Agreed, the message and lyrics were on point.. and shortly after that, I believe, is when Mellencamp started Farm Aid.. i just didnt find it an entertaining or good song, musically-speaking.

saintmdterps

I've been dreamin', floatin' down the stream and..
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wide awake , in fact.. which is why my thoughts on this matter are so coherent.

The thing Mellencamp lacks is one singular song that is as perfect as Born to Run…. BUT if you put their respective “Americana as an indictment of America” songs head to head- Pink Houses is a far better song that Born in the USA in my opinion.

I realize that JM has his share of clunkers .. R.O.C.K. in the USA, anyone? Scarecrow?? And I realize that i may in fact be biased since the first concert i ever attended was John COUGAR Mellencamp at the BR Centroplex… but i stand by this thread .
I like both artists, and in no way would I consider Scarecrow a clunker. The story of a family farm lost to foreclosure is all to familiar to many of America’s farmers

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like both artists, and in no way would I consider Scarecrow a clunker. The story of a family farm lost to foreclosure is all to familiar to many of America’s farmers
While that’s bad can it be as bad as being in Zanzibar, a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car, hummin' a lunar tune?

Yatman

threadkiller
Reaction score
like them both and have seen them both, but my money's on springsteen for tunes you'll still hear in 2071

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love John Mellencamp. Great songwriter. And I’ll admit I don’t know anything he’s written that I haven’t heard on the radio. But I just don’t see the case that he’s equivalent to Springsteen.

I don’t know a single song of his that matches up to Badlands or Adam Raised a Cain, for example.

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody else remember this promotion? I can't get it out of my head whenever someone mentions John Cougar Mellancamp

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Sorry, it is an absolute ridiculous notion that JCM is in anyway the more fabled or better songwriter than Springsteen (and I’m not a big Springsteen fan). I mean you have a right to your opinion and all but folks will remember Springsteen long after JCM has been forgotten….IMO

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here is my sizzling hot take of the day…. John Mellencamp is every bit as great a songwriter as Bruce Springsteen EVER was……. I have heard Mellencamp called ‘Springsteen Lite’.. i disagree with that.. i think Bryan Adams is Mellencamp Lite, but i think that Mellencamp is easily on par with Bruce.. i wont even get into the Dylan thing since he’s not my cup of tea, but i know that a lot of people put him in a class by himself.

Discuss.

View attachment 159954

You could have just posted this here. Merge?

OP
Mr. Blue Sky

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You could have just posted this here. Merge?

Absolutely not, becuase JM vs BS is worthy of its own thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom