Mellencamp vs Springsteen (1 Viewer)

But if we were making recommendations, I’d offer Cat Stevens, Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce, and Don McClean before Dan Fogelberg

🤬

Ok…. On this, i guess we can agree to disagree… i guess.

McLean only had two or three great songs, one of which falls into the ‘can never to listen to it again ‘ category we were talking about earlier.. I never ‘got’ Chapin- the taxi cab song, and the radio station song- though Cats in the Cradle is obviously a classic…. Lightfoot is exceptional, matter of fact watched a new documentary about him a few months ago that yall should check out if you haven’t…. Cat Stevens was one of the greatest ever, but i just dont think he was ‘Fogelberg-esque’ really.. not sure what category I’d put him in…. Jim Croce, well- i have a connection with him and his music that would require an entirely separate thread to get into…. My dinner’s almost ready, but maybe later…. But none of the above guys mentioned were *better* than Fogelberg.. Though some were just as good.

🤬

Ok…. On this, i guess we can agree to disagree… i guess.

McLean only had two or three great songs, one of which falls into the ‘can never to listen to it again ‘ category we were talking about earlier.. I never ‘got’ Chapin- the taxi cab song, and the radio station song- though Cats in the Cradle is obviously a classic…. Lightfoot is exceptional, matter of fact watched a new documentary about him a few months ago that yall should check out if you haven’t…. Cat Stevens was one of the greatest ever, but i just dont think he was ‘Fogelberg-esque’ really.. not sure what category I’d put him in…. Jim Croce, well- i have a connection with him and his music that would require an entirely separate thread to get into…. My dinner’s almost ready, but maybe later…. But none of the above guys mentioned were *better* than Fogelberg.. Though some were just as good.
agree to disagree is fine - with James Taylor, i'd have the ones i mentioned in the A list and Dan F as a solid B
i'm curious to hear how you'd tease apart Cat Stevens and DF
and of course we need to hear the Jim Croce story

I wonder how many lawyers, guns, and money could be successfully withdrawn to effectively-and-efficiently silence and quiet this nonsensical, odd and bizarre musical artist "compare and contrast" online SSR EE board discussion.

Ever stop to think that maybe, just MAYBE- you are not correct in re to my OP ? :shrug:
Dave Robbins, is that you?

You know I like you, MBS, and you fought valiantly, but your comparison in the OP never stood a chance. Nothing against JC/JCM/JM, but he’s not in the same zip code as Springsteen.

Now if you want to compare JM over SpringFIELD, I wholeheartedly endorse that notion. 😘

Last edited:
Being 100% serious , if you honestly dont know who Dan Fogelberg and James Taylor even are.. then you should probably sit out any thread even remotely connected to anything musical… unless you’re under like 25 yrs old i guess, but even then…

Also, yes , KL did have some mega hits from movies- Top Gun, Footloose, Caddyshack… but the first thing I think of when i think of him, and im guessing most folks who know a thing about music think of- are his singer/songwriter classics, both with Loggins & Messina, and solo: Danny’s Song, House at Pooh Corner, This Is It, Whenever i Call You Friend, Heart to Heart, and on and on and on…. If anything, KL definitely bleeds over into the Yacht Rock genre.. but he is primarily a singer/songwriter, then YR/soundtrack god….

Agree with the 1st paragraph, if you don’t know much about them, why comment?

Kenny Loggins sucks, he writes cheap, cheesy pop songs….JT is the best out of that group and its not close, his songs tell real stories and the music and guitar playing are more complex than any of those others, and he has a huge catalog of great songs. Chapin, Fogelberg and McLean don’t…..

I don’t consider Warren Zevon part of that more or less folksy rock group…he is in a category all his own….

For anyone unfamiliar with Fogelberg, the best move would be to click off of this thread, click onto the youtubes and type in Run for the Roses and Same Auld Lang Zyne (sp?).. May not be everyone ‘s cup of tea, but will definitely give you an idea of what this guy (RIP) was all about.

70's Fogelberg - Part of the Plan, To The Morning, Place in the World for a Gambler far better than the sap he put out in the early 80's. Saw him at LSU Assembly Center and fell asleep.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom