Melons (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just simply have no use for honeydew whatsoever. IMO, it is arguably the most useless of all fruits.

Cantaloupe and water melon? I'm down. But it is truly disappointing when I'm at brunch and the melon offering is mostly honeydew. And btw, how the hell does a fruit get a name like cantaloupe? I wonder what the etymology of that word is.

Discuss.

honeydew > all other melons

also, put some black pepper on cantaloupe next time...different, but tasty :9:

I wonder what the etymology of that word is.

Etymology
The name is derived, via French, from the Italian Cantalupo which was formerly a papal county seat near Rome. Tradition has it that this is where it was first cultivated in Europe, on its introduction from Ancient Armenia.[3] Its first known usage in English dates from 1739 in The Gardeners Dictionary Vol. II by Scottish botanist Philip Miller (1691–1771).

honeydew > all other melons

also, put some black pepper on cantaloupe next time...different, but tasty :9:

Hmm. I'm trying to reconcile whether I can take your advice on cantaloupe when we clearly have such divergent views on honeydew. I suppose I will try it, but if it all comes down to Team Honeydew versus the rest of us, I don't think I would hesitate to take you out.

Watermelon beats all - when it is good. When we get to the season I have one cut up in the fridge at all times. I actually add some salt sometimes and I really do think it makes it sweeter. Weird.

I have done pepper on cantaloupe. I thought that was strange when I learned it from my grandmother. guess not.

Agreed on the honeydew. I have never had them at home and I'm not as likely to eat them out in public as it sounds like Chuck is comfortable with.

I have been cutting up a lot of Pineapple lately. That is another I prefer to cut up myself and its just nasty canned.

I just simply have no use for honeydew whatsoever. IMO, it is arguably the most useless of all fruits.

and honeydew melons have no use for attorneys.

ironic, no?

I am not a fan of any melon except Watermelon. And even then, in metered amounts since Watermelon has natural laxative properties.

Watermelon beats all - when it is good. When we get to the season I have one cut up in the fridge at all times. I actually add some salt sometimes and I really do think it makes it sweeter. Weird.

I have done pepper on cantaloupe. I thought that was strange when I learned it from my grandmother. guess not.

Agreed on the honeydew. I have never had them at home and I'm not as likely to eat fruits out in public as it sounds like Chuck is comfortable with.

I have been cutting up a lot of Pineapple lately. That is another I prefer to cut up myself and its just nasty canned.

MY kids are eating pineapple like mad lately. However, the last two we have gotten were pretty bad once the rind was cut away.

I will try the salt...my girls layer garlic salt on sliced cukes, so i bet they wont have any issue with it on the Watermelon.

Agreed on the honeydew. I have never had them at home and I'm not as likely to eat them out in public as it sounds like Chuck is comfortable with.

I agree that salting watermelon enhances the flavor.

I wonder what makes a melon a melon, and why, for instance, pineapple isn't one. :scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom