Melons (1 Viewer)

My daddy always called a cantaloupe a muskmelon. When I was little, I thought he was saying mushmelon...lol. I have always put salt & pepper on cantaloupe & salt on watermelon. My Kansas born husband was skeptical until he tried it. Now he does, also.

As for honeydews, I've had really good sweet ones in the past, but they don't seem as good now.

Living in the West, I miss those big round solid green watermelons available in Northeast Louisiana. They were the best! We can only get smaller striped watermelons. They are the round ones, not oblong. They are not nearly as sweet. They are usually from California or Mexico.

I also liked the watermelons that were gold instead of red inside. The good ones had almost a honey taste.

Jan

Living in the West, I miss those big round solid green watermelons available in Northeast Louisiana. They were the best! We can only get smaller striped watermelons. They are the round ones, not oblong. They are not nearly as sweet. They are usually from California or Mexico.

I also liked the watermelons that were gold instead of red inside. The good ones had almost a honey taste.

Jan

Black diamond I think they called them in Monroe. Yes those are good

I have to think that maybe your dad was using too much salt? The saltiness should be imperceptible...the salt excites or supercharges your taste buds - except for the bitter receptors. It actually blocks those, making grapefruit (for instance) much more palatable.

This. Just a couple of flakes of kosher for me

I just simply have no use for honeydew whatsoever. IMO, it is arguably the most useless of all fruits.

Cantaloupe and water melon? I'm down. But it is truly disappointing when I'm at brunch and the melon offering is mostly honeydew. And btw, how the hell does a fruit get a name like cantaloupe? I wonder what the etymology of that word is.

Discuss.

This is not what I expected out of this thread.

I feel ripped off.

Attachments

• melons-bra_1711664i.jpg
    melons-bra_1711664i.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1
Etymology
The name is derived, via French, from the Italian Cantalupo which was formerly a papal county seat near Rome. Tradition has it that this is where it was first cultivated in Europe, on its introduction from Ancient Armenia.[3] Its first known usage in English dates from 1739 in The Gardeners Dictionary Vol. II by Scottish botanist Philip Miller (1691–1771).

So more recently than this thread was posted, I had a melon encounter somewhere traveling and the man, with an accent and a mid-east to central-Asian vibe about him said playfully about our request for cantaloupe, “It’s a musk melon . . .”

I sort of wish I had said “Savage!”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom