Melvin Gordon (Chargers) set to hold out (1 Viewer)

All this because Demaurice sp Smith got his head handed to him by the maggot Goodell in the last CBA. Sorry the players don’t deserve any pity. They keep electing morons to represent them and then cry when it hurts them. Tough.

Smith is an absolute moron but got the position because of contacts to Obama.

I wonder what he thinks he’s going to get. His career stats are pretty average. He’d do better if he put together a great season this year.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the compromise is, though. Maybe an escalator clause in the contract that ups the money in years 4/5 based on performance?
My first thought is you signed the contract so honor it! On the flip side, players who don't pan out, have their contracts voided by the team with no recourse. Seems kind of unfair to me but what do I know.

I remember when the running backs were among the highest paid players. remember when the position was starting to decline in importance? next cba talks will be interesting.

When you look at the actual short span of an RB in this league, and the absolute punishment they take, its pretty hard to disagree with what he is doing. However, there are a lot of other factors within a system, team and chemistry that need to be looked at as well. This type of thing, the way he has handled it, has major potential to be catastrophic to his career and to the Chargers. Dont like it one bit. Its only a WIN situation if he is solely in it for the money and his family. It is going to be pretty hard for him to tell any teammate from here on out that he is all about the Team. Not so sure the Oline will be as inspired to block for him after this, especially if they have to cut talent to make the contract. If I was him, I would have tried to hit a 2 year deal that would help bring in guys that would make me successful, THEN after putting up actual big time numbers, I would leverage.

All this because Demaurice sp Smith got his head handed to him by the maggot Goodell in the last CBA. Sorry the players don’t deserve any pity. They keep electing morons to represent them and then cry when it hurts them. Tough.

What are you talking about? How does that relate to Melvin Gordon?

It is going to be pretty hard for him to tell any teammate from here on out that he is all about the Team. Not so sure the Oline will be as inspired to block for him after this, especially if they have to cut talent to make the contract. If I was him, I would have tried to hit a 2 year deal that would help bring in guys that would make me successful, THEN after putting up actual big time numbers, I would leverage.

I don't think O Linemen will be less inspired to block because their RB wanted a new deal. Players are used to teammates having contract disputes. These disputes are very common and the players have a rule about not messing with anyone else's money.

You say Gordon should go for a two year extension, put up big numbers, and then have leverage. So that would lock Gordon down for the next three seasons in San Diego. Then in three years he'd be an unrestricted free agent and he could sign a mega deal. Even if he somehow managed to stay healthy during that time, how many teams are going to throw megabucks at a 29 year old RB? And if he puts up elite production over those three years, San Diego would probably be happy to put the franchise tag on him. Gordon could be 30 years old before he gets to his big pay day.

I'm curious about how much Gordon is demanding. I'm sure he's wanting top five money and if that's the case then he'll be traded if he's serious about holding out. Gordon is a good RB but the Chargers front office would have a hard time justifying paying him top five money. Gordon's career averages are 907 yards, 7 TDs, 4.0 yards per attempt rushing along with 46 rec, 394 yards, and 2.5 TDs receiving. Those are good season averages but elite? I don't know about all that.

Dan, while I agree that Melvin Gordon has zero leverage to threaten his aspiring team and should consider maybe lining up wide more like Jimmy Graham to demand star WR money, your post still has unfortunate generalizations.

"The players" in 2011. They can't be generalized. They were and are an adversarial set of factions between players beyond their rookie contracts who have earned big 2nd contracts and reasonably felt entitled to maximize their earnings; and, players who were in their lower-wage rookie contracts who could not afford to lose a year's pay and a year of earning in their tenuous often short NFL career. Players enter CBA negotiations with very little leverage against the billionaire owners.

As a whole, the players did win some concessions on the split of the pie, financial guarantees for injured players, more money for retired players, and notably, a reduction in practice time, i.e. no more two-a-days. I mean, good luck to D. Smith fighting the owners, and, managing adversarial factions in the players.

"Goodell, D Smith, and Obama" - Bringing Obama into this just reveals that you've probably wasted big time off your life watching Fox News since the late 1990's. You know that Goodell is paid big money to do one thing - be the punching bag and ramrod for the billionaire owners, who if you do a quick deep dive into political contributions, will see are by and large big Republicans - headlined by the evil and empirical Jerry Jones and Robert "Handyman" Kraft. So, if you hate Goodell, then ergo you hate Republicans. Roger is your guy.

Dan, while I agree that Melvin Gordon has zero leverage to threaten his aspiring team and should consider maybe lining up wide more like Jimmy Graham to demand star WR money, your post still has unfortunate generalizations.

"The players" in 2011. They can't be generalized. They were and are an adversarial set of factions between players beyond their rookie contracts who have earned big 2nd contracts and reasonably felt entitled to maximize their earnings; and, players who were in their lower-wage rookie contracts who could not afford to lose a year's pay and a year of earning in their tenuous often short NFL career. Players enter CBA negotiations with very little leverage against the billionaire owners.

As a whole, the players did win some concessions on the split of the pie, financial guarantees for injured players, more money for retired players, and notably, a reduction in practice time, i.e. no more two-a-days. I mean, good luck to D. Smith fighting the owners, and, managing adversarial factions in the players.

"Goodell, D Smith, and Obama" - Bringing Obama into this just reveals that you've probably wasted big time off your life watching Fox News since the late 1990's. You know that Goodell is paid big money to do one thing - be the punching bag and ramrod for the billionaire owners, who if you do a quick deep dive into political contributions, will see are by and large big Republicans - headlined by the evil and empirical Jerry Jones and Robert "Handyman" Kraft. So, if you hate Goodell, then ergo you hate Republicans. Roger is your guy.
As a matter of fact I hate republicans and democrats. They both don’t care about the American people. As for your comments about Fox News that means you probably love all the leftist networks. Let me clue you in. We don’t have a true media anymore. Everything is agenda driven by every so called network.

Smith did a horrible job representing the players and got his arse handed to him.

What are you talking about? How does that relate to Melvin Gordon?
Chuck you’re smarter than this. If smith had done even a decent job the running backs wouldn’t be looking to hold out. The CBA was completely one sided and anyone with financial sense knew it.

My first thought is you signed the contract so honor it! On the flip side, players who don't pan out, have their contracts voided by the team with no recourse. Seems kind of unfair to me but what do I know.

I agree with the sentiment that "you signed the contract so honor it" part but after the latest CBA, contracts are almost an automatic thing and the owners have a huge advantage. I mean, rightfully so to some degree (remember that JaMarcus Russell contract?)

But what happens when you're tops at your position, getting paid peanuts and your career could be over on your next carry?

Just a tough call. I'm thinking that if you perform in the top 3 or 5 of your position on a rookie contract, it should pop in an escalator that increases your pay to be the average of the top 10 or something like that. If something isn't done, I just see more and more talented players sitting until they get paid for fear of never getting a proper pay day.

I agree with the sentiment that "you signed the contract so honor it" part but after the latest CBA, contracts are almost an automatic thing and the owners have a huge advantage. I mean, rightfully so to some degree (remember that JaMarcus Russell contract?)

Exactly. Rookies don't really get to negotiate their first contract. It's not like a WR demanding a new deal two years after signing a deal that made him the highest paid player at his position. It's not like back when Darrelle Revis would threaten to hold out every offseason.

So these rookie RBs play some of their best years for relative peanuts. Alvin Kamara has a base salary of 808 k this year. The average of the top five RBs is around 11 million per year. If he hit the open market he'd get at least 11 mill per year. I'm surprised more young, productive RBs don't try to do what Gordon is doing.

It all comes down to what he's actually worth.

If he is thinking that he is going after elite money then he may be sadly mistaken. He's a capable back but falls short on being an elite back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom