Men arrested in Michigan after confronting police in body armor and ski masks (1 Viewer)

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Two men wearing body armor and carrying firearms and cameras were arrested Sunday at a Michigan police headquarters in a confrontation livestreamed on the internet.

Dearborn police said that one of the men wore a ski mask and they initially refused to drop the weapons.

James Baker, 24, of Leonard, and Brandon Vreeland, 40, of Jackson, face charges including breaching the peace and failure to cooperate with police. Both men were free on bond."

Vreeland tells the Detroit Free Press state law allows them to openly carry legally owned weapons. He said they "audit police to see how well they honor the Constitution and people's rights."

I didn't see where this fit into an existing thread, but found this interesting. Is what they did okay? What do the open carry proponents think?

My opinion is that this seems way too, well, too vigilante-esque for me. I think the body armor and ski mask make it seem that they were looking for a confrontation rather than an "audit".

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/0...ation-to-confront-cops-over-traffic-stop.html

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
Im pro gun rights but this IMHO is way overboard. These two are looking to be a victim and make a name for themselves.

someone

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last night, my wife and I were walking our dogs through our neighborhood. As we passed one of the newer houses, a very large (over 100 lb) pitbull mix came charging at us with mean intentions. He stopped at the edge of the yard, but it was still pretty scary especially since we didn't know if he was going to stop at all. I guess he has an invisible fence. Both of our dogs are rescues and are some sort of pitbull mixes. Just because it's legal to have an invisible fence, doesn't mean you're doing the pitbull cause any favors by allowing him to charge everyone that walks by. In fact you're feeding into the bad reputation they are trying to break. Don't give the law abiding gun owners a bad rep by doing something stupid like this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

staphory

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You should do a search on YouTube. Lots of videos where people are challenging the police.
It shows some incompetent cops but I think it will end very poorly for someone sooner or later.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately some gun owners are idiots. I usually have a gun with me usually nobody knows.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Not really trying to start anything here, but if this had been a couple of black guys and they'd gotten gunned down based on the perceived threat, there would have been a lot of cheering 'round various parts of the country.

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I feel bad for police officers sometimes. I know there are bad ones, but the majority who are trying to do a good job are getting it from both sides now. What would possess these two knuckleheads that it's up to them to "audit" the police armed and with ski mask?

billinms

VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for police officers sometimes. I know there are bad ones, but the majority who are trying to do a good job are getting it from both sides now. What would possess these two knuckleheads that it's up to them to "audit" the police armed and with ski mask?
They're stupidly pushing the envelope in order to show that they're rights were violated, and creating a dangerous situation for themselves, the police, and by-standers.

Reaction score
They're stupidly pushing the envelope in order to show that they're rights were violated, and creating a dangerous situation for themselves, the police, and by-standers.
And imagine for a moment if they were of Arabic descent and Muslim.

billinms

VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
And imagine for a moment if they were of Arabic descent and Muslim.
You'll get no argument from me that there are serious race issues in this country. I speak from the only perspective I can, middle aged white guy.

Reaction score
You'll get no argument from me that there are serious race issues in this country. I speak from the only perspective I can, middle aged white guy.
My comment was not directed at you, but more of riffing of of you. I was trying to point out the hypocrisy of the situation as well. There would have been a rush to label the incident as Islamic terrorism and further proof that Muslims are at war with us if the men were Muslims. Since the two are white, then it's just a couple of stupid white guys.

billinms

VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
My comment was not directed at you, but more of riffing of of you. I was trying to point out the hypocrisy of the situation as well. There would have been a rush to label the incident as Islamic terrorism and further proof that Muslims are at war with us if the men were Muslims. Since the two are white, then it's just a couple of stupid white guys.
It's the world we live in, but it's better than it was 10,20,30 yrs ago. There are black families that go to my shooting range. One of my black neighbors was showing me his new sub compact .45 the other day, right out in the open. A few years ago those things wouldn't happen. Change happens but it's slow.

Edit.. I didn't mean to seem snarky towards you.

Reaction score
It's the world we live in, but it's better than it was 10,20,30 yrs ago. There are black families that go to my shooting range. One of my black neighbors was showing me his new sub compact .45 the other day, right out in the open. A few years ago those things wouldn't happen. Change happens but it's slow.

Edit.. I didn't mean to seem snarky towards you.
I didn't read it as snarky at all. I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was being snarky towards you.

I think it keeps getting better and will continue to. Unfortunately it's not a linear process and we have setbacks like we've been in for a while now. I think we're on the verge of another major leap forward brought about by a resistance to current events.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom