Menendez Brothers found on Basketball Card after murdering parents but before being arrested (1 Viewer)

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Pretty crazy... Killed Parents but need to be on front row!

Jumped from 15 cents to $20 on ebay.

So many shooters on one basketball card.

a. mark jackson was too streaky to be considered a shooter (pretty decent PG and good defender which, of course he was since he was on Riley's knicks)
b. i'm almost certain i remember this photo (or one very much like it) from the newspaper around that time i almost always read NY Newsday, except for Sunday Times
ANYWAY, this photo seems VERY familiar

I never followed the murder trial and the story. Were these some really rich kids? Why did they kill their parents? I guess I could look it up, but I'm not invested enough for all of that. I mean...front row tickets in the Garden, sheesh.

I never followed the murder trial and the story. Were these some really rich kids? Why did they kill their parents? I guess I could look it up, but I'm not invested enough for all of that. I mean...front row tickets in the Garden, sheesh.
On the evening of August 20, 1989, José and Kitty were sitting on a couch in the den of the family's home at 722 North Elm Drive in Beverly Hills. Lyle (21) and Erik (18), armed with shotguns, entered the den.[10] José was shot point-blank in the back of the head with a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun.[11] Kitty, awakened by the shots, got up from the couch and was shot in the leg as she ran towards the hallway. She slipped on her own blood and fell. While on the floor, she was shot several times in the arm, chest, and face, leaving her unrecognizable. Both José and Kitty were shot in the kneecap, in an attempt to make the murders appear related to organized crime.[12][13]

At 11:47 p.m., when the brothers returned home, Lyle telephoned 9-1-1 and cried, "Somebody killed my parents!" The brothers told the police they had been at the movie theater to see Batman at the time of the murders. Afterward, they said they went to the annual "Taste of L.A." festival at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Despite being considered suspects, the police did not order the brothers to undergo gunshot residue tests to learn whether they had recently used a firearm.[14] A lack of evidence also prevented the police from looking into the brothers more thoroughly.

In the months after the murders, the brothers spent money lavishly, adding to investigators' suspicions that they were involved with their parents' deaths.[15] Lyle bought an expensive Rolex watch, a Porsche Carrera, and Chuck's Spring Street Cafe,[16] a Buffalo wing restaurant in Princeton, New Jersey. Erik hired a full-time tennis coach and competed in a series of pro tournaments in Israel. They left the North Elm Drive mansion unoccupied, opting to live in adjoining condos in nearby Marina del Rey.[17] They drove around Los Angeles in their late mother's Mercedes-Benz SL convertible, dined expensively, and went on overseas trips to the Caribbean and to London.[18] It is estimated that Lyle and Erik spent $700,000 in the months between the murders and their arrests.[19]

On the evening of August 20, 1989, José and Kitty were sitting on a couch in the den of the family's home at 722 North Elm Drive in Beverly Hills. Lyle (21) and Erik (18), armed with shotguns, entered the den.[10] José was shot point-blank in the back of the head with a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun.[11] Kitty, awakened by the shots, got up from the couch and was shot in the leg as she ran towards the hallway. She slipped on her own blood and fell. While on the floor, she was shot several times in the arm, chest, and face, leaving her unrecognizable. Both José and Kitty were shot in the kneecap, in an attempt to make the murders appear related to organized crime.[12][13]

At 11:47 p.m., when the brothers returned home, Lyle telephoned 9-1-1 and cried, "Somebody killed my parents!" The brothers told the police they had been at the movie theater to see Batman at the time of the murders. Afterward, they said they went to the annual "Taste of L.A." festival at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Despite being considered suspects, the police did not order the brothers to undergo gunshot residue tests to learn whether they had recently used a firearm.[14] A lack of evidence also prevented the police from looking into the brothers more thoroughly.

In the months after the murders, the brothers spent money lavishly, adding to investigators' suspicions that they were involved with their parents' deaths.[15] Lyle bought an expensive Rolex watch, a Porsche Carrera, and Chuck's Spring Street Cafe,[16] a Buffalo wing restaurant in Princeton, New Jersey. Erik hired a full-time tennis coach and competed in a series of pro tournaments in Israel. They left the North Elm Drive mansion unoccupied, opting to live in adjoining condos in nearby Marina del Rey.[17] They drove around Los Angeles in their late mother's Mercedes-Benz SL convertible, dined expensively, and went on overseas trips to the Caribbean and to London.[18] It is estimated that Lyle and Erik spent $700,000 in the months between the murders and their arrests.[19]

This story is incomplete as it doesn’t explain the backstory relationship among the family members: the boys alleged that their father abused them for years and the whole thing led to a climax where the whole household was on edge.

Of course, that may all have been a fabrication.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...brothers-murders-trial-why-they-did-it-story/

Ah, thanks everyone. Apparently I was too poor to murder my parents. Or they were. Maybe I should check in on their accounts to make sure they weren't lying all this time. Now that I think about it, some years they really over did it with the poor schitck. I wonder....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom