Mental Illness HELP! (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
There is a guy I worked with for about 8 years... great heart, but didn't have the greatest foundation growing up. He quit school in the 8th gde. He was never very bright, but always was a hard worker who was very dependable, very honest, and never said no, no matter how fubared things got, no matter how terrible of a position the company put us in. Everyone loved this guy, but he married a self centered spoiled birch who took advantage of his goodness in every way, despite everyone's warnings. He stayed with her entirely too long, but eventually divorced. Not long after, he suffered a few work related injuries and went through some rough patches, but came out of the bad spots he was in.

Around this time, I left that screwed up job where we were basically service hands on call 24/7 working 80+ hours a week to a different field of work where I've been on salary with a nice M-F home every night job for the last 8+ years. I had an opening and tried to hire him. He was interviewed and offered a job on the spot on my recommendation on a Friday after he and I had lunch together. He asked to come back Monday for paperwork and testing because he had bought lunch for his girlfriend and didn't expect things to happen so quick.

Anyways, he never showed up, and I figured maybe he had to "study for a test" because I cold called him out of the blue and he had been working in a scrap yard and basically came from "the street", though he was never one for drugs aside from maybe a little weed here or there depending on the crowd/girl he might be around. He never showed up the Monday and went ghost for the next two months. It was puzzling, because even though it had been 8 years since we had worked together, he seemed like the same guy I remembered when he showed up for the interview. I was perturbed he wouldnt return my texts or calls, and eventually pulled the offer and moved on.

Two weeks ago, while I was at a Sunday evening mass, he stopped by my house in the country and really freaked my wife out. He claimed to have been poisoned, asked for food, told her all kinds of crazy sheet, and begged for my number. I get out of church and look at the 4 texts she sent me and call him. He tells me he is in a hospital getting a tox screen done, that he wanted to apologize to me face to face, that he was going through some bad sheet, and that he needs a place to crash for the night. I'm gracious to him, but let him know that can't happen because its a school night and we don't have a guest room. He begs me to bring him to church with me next time I go, I say sure, and soon we hang up.

The following Wednesday he calls as Im leaving work and wants to meet. I ask where he is, he tells me he wants to visit his mom's grave in Mire. I say that's on my way home, I can meet him there. When he shows up, he takes me to his grandfather's grave, whom he is named after, and tells me he was an evil man and that his bloodline is cursed. He tells me his family has been trying to make him the antichrist because he is a Libre, that his ex-wife and father in law have demons in them and are demons, that a few prominent people we both know are demons and not people, that most of the cops are demons, that acadia parish sherrifs office phones were tapped and he told them and 16 sherriffs got fired and they wanted to make him sherrif, that his girlfriend told him she could see his mom's spirit when they visited her grave (which wasn't in Mire like he said), that his dad killed his mom, his step-mom, and the tried to kill the next step-mom, and all kinds of delusional crazy sheet.

I prayed some deliverance prayers over him, crossed him with holy water, gave him a rosary, holy water, a prayer book, examination of conscience book, and how to pray rosary book, and took him in front of the tabernacle to pray. As we come out of church, he notices his truck is leaking and is convinced his dad sabotaged him. Anyways, we soon part ways and Im freaked out because this guy who was a great guy that ate sheet all the time and never said no even when he damn well should have is now very delusional and all the sudden schitzo. I have no idea how to help him. Less than a week later, he calls me telling me he just found out "who he is". I asked him what he meant. He tells me he is the left hand of God, that the don't mention him in scripture, that it is his job to "carry out God's justice" and that no matter what he does, his "hands will stay clean". Having no idea how to respond to this, I tell him if he wants justice, to pray for his enemies, as prayers terrify demons and he should kill them with kindness.

Here's my question... what do I do? My buddy is clearly very sick and delusional (or like the main character in the movie Frailty), and may very well be dangerous. Yet I have no idea where he lives and whether I should call the cops or try to find him some kind of help. Last person I knew that had these kind of delusions killed himself. Im very heartbroken my friend is in this state but have no idea what to do, and have been a coward to reach out to him further because Ive not the expertise nor wisdom to lead him to a better place nor understand exactly what Im dealing with. I need suggestions.

Unfortunately there is very little you can do unless you can track down family. Only other thing is thay if he shows up or you meet him again have the police come and assess him...sounds like they would find him to be a danger to himself

I think you've done what you can. He seems to be spiraling and has already come to your house. Seems too close for comfort to me.

giphy.gif

I am sorry he is going through this and freaking you and your family out, but does he own guns and does he have known enemies (perceived or no)?

I think you've done what you can. He seems to be spiraling and has already come to your house. Seems too close for comfort to me.

I tend to agree - unless you (PJ) feel some kind of obligation to save him, it’s better to avoid contact, who knows what his delusions will lead to and you don’t want to be involved. You have already been a good friend and tried to help him - you can take comfort in that.

But if you do come to believe that he is going to harm someone, I think it would be best to notify law enforcement (violent crime detectives or even state police - not just a local station officer).

Last edited:
If he is armed, then he needs to be disarmed ! And I'm Pro-gun.

Some people go to 2 different Drs for the same issue and get prescribed different meds to treat that issue. They become cross-threaded and totally lose their shirt. (I'm totally fishing right here but I've seen it happen a couple times and its just a thought)

Don't turn your back on him and keep him away from your family.

Good Luck

I assume he has weapons, can't say for certain. I have no idea where he is staying - he was staying with girlfriend in Rayne... prior to that he was staying in a camper he owns. camper was at her place - i know the area but not street or address... he described how to get there a few months before he seemed to have gone crazy, and i didnt retain any of those directions because i didnt feel a need to at the time. Last day i saw him he was staying at his dads because he believed girlfriend poisoned him, but before we parted ways he believed his dad did something fishy to his ride and asked if he could crash at my place. long story short, i dont know where to direct police to, and not sure if one of my priest friends could help him (he expressed desire to talk to priest).

I'm hesitant to call him and encourage his presence, but I'm at a loss for words when he calls me and its palpable over the phone when he goes in a whack direction and there is silence on my end; I never have a trained response that makes him feel as though I'm on his side and that I don't think he is crazy. It's just sad when this happens with someone you know. As for medications, I very seriously doubt he is on any. To be honest, my first thought was bad drugs, but I never seen delusions or hallucinations last that long from recreational use of street drugs, so I really ruled that out when we met at graveyard. Plus he cried when I prayed over him and didn't show any aversion to blessed and holy items, so I do believe he genuinely wants help, but also believe he can't be reasoned with logically.

It reminds me of a relative who is addicted to meth. He also now has insane delusions and violent tendencies. He was convinced certain members of his immediate family were going to kill him and bugged his house. He ripped holes in the walls trying to find it. They used the Florida Baker Act on him but there wasn’t much they could do. He’s still using and his mental state keeps deteriorating. I’m not sure Louisiana has anything similar. Really hope he can get the help he needs and can turn his life around. God bless

Google “Psychiatric Crisis Line in Louisiana” there is all kinds of good scoop on there that will give you support & direction for what would be helpful & not helpful.

NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Health) is a great organization with very helpful people, & they have 3 phone numbers listed on the first page.

There is support for you out there, so you are not worrying & spinning your wheels.

Good luck! ? ?

It reminds me of a relative who is addicted to meth. He also now has insane delusions and violent tendencies. He was convinced certain members of his immediate family were going to kill him and bugged his house. He ripped holes in the walls trying to find it. They used the Florida Baker Act on him but there wasn’t much they could do. He’s still using and his mental state keeps deteriorating. I’m not sure Louisiana has anything similar. Really hope he can get the help he needs and can turn his life around. God bless

Definitely sounds like the dude is on meth.

You need to protect your family and teach them how to protect themselves if they don't already know how. Since he knows where you live and can show up when you're not there I'd be very concerned about that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom