Menthol Cigarettes - Should be banned or nah? (1 Viewer)

Should Menthol cigs be banned?

• Yes, we need to protect people from themselves

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Yes, they are more dangerous than other kinds

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No, menthol cig ban is racist

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • No; my body, my choice

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Again, I don't care and I'm not intellectually inept to the point that foolish libertarian arguments will sway me.

If you smoke and get sick you go to the hospital and you cost zillions to treat and keep alive all before you die. Once you're sick enough you get on medicare or medicaid and burden the rest of us due to a filthy habit that should have been banned decades ago.

Even libertarians realize the folly of their way when faced with the choice between death and millions in treatment bills vs the government teat, no?

That said, I've always been one who supports a person's freedom. If you don't want health insurance and you get sick, you should be allowed to die peacefully at your own expense. Perhaps a vending machine for morphine out back behind the hospitals with lawn chairs would suffice. Same with cigarettes and crack/meth, but the minute we have to house/jail/treat on the public dime I'm done.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OK, maybe usually, but even a broken clock is right twice per day.

This one really is about kids. The internal memos confirm the marketing strategy - get them addicted before they're old enough to figure it out.
Isn't it already illegal to provide cigarettes to kids? Don't we already have regulations on tobacco advertising?

What is going to stop the people who provide cigarettes to kids already from adding menthol to the cigarettes they sell for an extra charge?
Prohibition worked so well for alcohol, I can't wait to see what new cottage industries arise from menthol prohibition!

Arresting child molesters is also the purpose of the government.

Arresting law breakers is one facet of the government, yes. Some laws are good, others are bad, some are simply misguided or completely ineffective.
Piling on arbitrary new laws just makes more criminals. When did we start trusting police again? I missed the memo.

Almost forgot ... according to the CDC, cigarette smokers amongst teens has fallen sharply (no doubt due to vaping). 4.3% -> 1.6% for Middle School and 15.8% -> 4.6% for High School.
So, who are we really saving with this ban when there are more popular products, or an easy way to create the banned product? Answer: almost no one.
What are we going to get with a ban when adults and some kids are caught with cigarettes and menthol spray together? Dead people. Incarcerated people. Is that an improvement?

Last edited:

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
unfiltered Pall Mals. Those things would destroy your lungs instantly.
My little league baseball coach chain smoked those. He'd be the 3rd base coach when we were at bat. When he lit a cigarette, it was our signal to bunt. I know it was a different time and era.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
I used to smoke Marlboros. I always carried a pack of unfiltered Camels for someone who was bumming. Those people never asked for a 2nd one :)
Brilliant idea.

I was a Camel Red fan myself. Quit back in 2004 due to the wife (serious girlfriend at the time) putting her foot down due to the smell

OP
tomwaits

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I had a friend that smoked lucky strike filterless and had a homeless guy complain when he had asked for a smoke and my friend offered him one.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I had a friend that smoked lucky strike filterless and had a homeless guy complain when he had asked for a smoke and my friend offered him one.
I had an Aunt and Uncle who smoked Lucky Strikes. When I was a kid our next door neighbor smoked Picayunes. Those were brutal. They has twice the tar and nicotine of a Marlboro red. You could smell them the second he stepped out of the house. How he made it to 90,I'll never know. Don't let the extra mild fool you. Trust me, they were far from it.

Attachments

• picayune..jpg
    picayune..jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3
OP
tomwaits

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I had an Aunt and Uncle who smoked Lucky Strikes. When I was a kid our next door neighbor smoked Picayunes. Those were brutal. They has twice the tar and nicotine of a Marlboro red. You could smell them the second he stepped out of the house. How he made it to 90,I'll never know. Don't let the extra mild fool you. Trust me, they were far from it.
Same friend occasionally had those too! I remember us joking about the "extra mild" on the package.

Krewe of Clyde's

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Most of this thread discusses the menthol cigarette side of this issue but didn't this directive also ban all "flavored" cigars too ? I have never smoked but I see entire racks of those in the tobacco section of convenience stores.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Most of this thread discusses the menthol cigarette side of this issue but didn't this directive also ban all "flavored" cigars too ? I have never smoked but I see entire racks of those in the tobacco section of convenience stores.
Kids just use those for the paper. They dump the tobacco out and fill it with weed.
Ever seen a pile of tobacco in the parking lot of a gas station?

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Never started smoking and I think anyone my age or younger who did is crazy. I grew up with 2 parents who were chain smokers/nicotine addicts. Their behavior was no different from any other addict. They were wonderful parents with a problem they could not manage. Cigarettes were everywhere in our house and cars.

Mom and dad were dead before they got to 60, dad from cancer and mom from a burst aorta cased by high blood pressure which was exacerbated by nicotine addiction. Dad's oncologist said cigarettes killed him as sure as a gunshot to the head. My sisters and I were orphaned in our 20's.

Yeah, I ******* hate tobacco and nicotine in all forms.

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There's more to the story and it needs to be taken in context from what happened 12 years ago.

The FDA banned all flavored cigarettes except menthol. However flavored cigars were still allowed. So clove cigarettes for example (my old personal favorite) just started to use tobacco rolling paper instead of, well, paper, which makes it a cigar. So not only did the ban make an exception for the most popular flavored cigarette, it left a loophole open for the others - just use a different rolling paper and its legal.

The new ban will wipe out both of those. No more menthols, and no more flavored cigars. No more black & milds!

All that said, I'm against it, because I don't believe in banning things from others based on personal preference.

BroKV

Pelón
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if that stuff is on the chopping block too, but seeing it is flavored tobacco product, it is likely it is, or will be targeted soon also.
Yeah, I was in Oakland a couple of years ago and none of the stores carried it. I was told they couldn’t sell flavored tobacco and I would have to go to a smoke shop.

OP
tomwaits

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I used to smoke in my late teens/early 20's. I remember being at work in my 20's and a couple of us were outside smoking. One of the people outside was an 18yo intern. My friend asked him when did he start smoking and why did he start. The kid said he had smoked for about a year and that he's addicted. So we told him he didn't start because he was addicted because you can't be addicted to something you have not started yet. So he then tells us he started smoking because he was stressed. So we mentioned that starting smoking does not help you with stress and if anything that first cigarette would likely have caused more stress. So I then told him he started smoking to try to look cool, which he denied. We went on to say that we all had started smoking to try to look cool or fit in. It was stupid, but that was the reason.

This story to illustrate that people don't start smoking because it tastes good. They start for social reasons. I think society has come a long way and smoking is way less acceptable than it was when I started in the 90's. You don't need to ban things to make the shift. Education on the risks is what has made the shift.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom