Menthol Cigarettes - Should be banned or nah? (2 Viewers)

Should Menthol cigs be banned?

• Yes, we need to protect people from themselves

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Yes, they are more dangerous than other kinds

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No, menthol cig ban is racist

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • No; my body, my choice

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters
Menthols have been banned in most of Canada for a while. At least I know in Alberta, they were banned a few years ago when i asked for a pack of Kools and they acted like i was trying to buy some crack.

I think it is stupid to ban menthols, but it is definitely not racist. People who try to argue that it is aren't helping the cause of racial equity.

I mean, the major brand of menthols is "Kool." What kid wouldn't want to smoke cool cigarettes?

I'm only half-serious, but I do think that does kind of markets to kids whether intentional or not.

Anyway, I wouldn't ban anything including cocaine, weed, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. Just makes laws that require actual effective warnings regarding the nature of the product and let the civil legal system handle products that either don't provide an adequate warning or are not fit for their intended purpose.

Newport is the top menthol brand.
Then again, that has a nautical type name, and kids love boats...

Newport is the top menthol brand.
Then again, that has a nautical type name, and kids love boats...
Did not know that. I guess I just think of Kools whenever I think of menthols.

I quit smoking about 19 years ago. I did smoke a few menthols, but only when I ran out and had to bum from a random stranger in a bar. I decided then that it was the best way to stop people from bumming from you. Those things are pretty nasty and feel really weird in your lungs. I guess I always assumed they were worse for you because of the tingling/burning in your lungs, but I guess they really aren't any worse than a regular cigarette.

"Won't somebody think of the children?"

This is not the purpose of government, and this battlecry is always used to defend bad legislation from justified criticisms by casting anyone in opposition as some kind of monster.

(Oh look, there's even a blurb on Wikipedia)
OK, maybe usually, but even a broken clock is right twice per day.

This one really is about kids. The internal memos confirm the marketing strategy - get them addicted before they're old enough to figure it out.

Arresting child molesters is also the purpose of the government.

I don't care.

If you break the law you suffer the consequences.

Of course, the consequences for purchasing cigarettes or selling them should not be death by cop, but we can fix that by punishing the cops who fail at their job.

Would you say all laws are just?

Apparently menthol is the "seasoning" of cigarettes. Malboros must be the salt and pepper.

Would you say all laws are just?

Again, I don't care and I'm not intellectually inept to the point that foolish libertarian arguments will sway me.

If you smoke and get sick you go to the hospital and you cost zillions to treat and keep alive all before you die. Once you're sick enough you get on medicare or medicaid and burden the rest of us due to a filthy habit that should have been banned decades ago.

Even libertarians realize the folly of they way when faced with the choice between death and millions in treatment bills vs the government teat, no?

That said, I've always been one who supports a person's freedom. If you don't want health insurance and you get sick, you should be allowed to die peacefully at your own expense. Perhaps a vending machine for morphine out back behind the hospitals with lawn chairs would suffice. Same with cigarettes and crack/meth, but the minute we have to house/jail/treat on the public dime I'm done.

Again, I don't care and I'm not intellectually inept to the point that foolish libertarian arguments will sway me.

If you smoke and get sick you go to the hospital and you cost zillions to treat and keep alive all before you die. Once you're sick enough you get on medicare or medicaid and burden the rest of us due to a filthy habit that should have been banned decades ago.

Even libertarians realize the folly of they way when faced with the choice between death and millions in treatment bills vs the government teat, no?

That said, I've always been one who supports a person's freedom. If you don't want health insurance and you get sick, you should be allowed to die peacefully at your own expense. Perhaps a vending machine for morphine out back behind the hospitals with lawn chairs would suffice. Same with cigarettes and crack/meth, but the minute we have to house/jail/treat on the public dime I'm done.

Are you making an argument for a government created fitness/diet plan for anyone who wants to eventually have medicare?

I get the sentiment, but i guess there has to be a line. Soda isn't great for people either.

Did not know that. I guess I just think of Kools whenever I think of menthols.

I quit smoking about 19 years ago. I did smoke a few menthols, but only when I ran out and had to bum from a random stranger in a bar. I decided then that it was the best way to stop people from bumming from you. Those things are pretty nasty and feel really weird in your lungs. I guess I always assumed they were worse for you because of the tingling/burning in your lungs, but I guess they really aren't any worse than a regular cigarette.
I used to smoke Marlboros. I always carried a pack of unfiltered Camels for someone who was bumming. Those people never asked for a 2nd one :)

I used to smoke Marlboros. I always carried a pack of unfiltered Camels for someone who was bumming. Those people never asked for a 2nd one :)

I was always good about having my own cigs. Mostly because I was loyal to Marlboro Lights. I did smoke Marlboro Reds for awhile, but they don't call them Cowboy Killers for nothing. I couldn't breath after a night of drinking and smoking those. But the worse was when I would run out and we were at a late night breakfast place called the Hummingbird. They were always out of every type of cigarette in their machine other than unfiltered Pall Mals. Those things would destroy your lungs instantly.

Even libertarians realize the folly of their way when faced with the choice between death and millions in treatment bills vs the government teat, no?

unfiltered Pall Mals. Those things would destroy your lungs instantly.
My little league baseball coach chain smoked those. He'd be the 3rd base coach when we were at bat. When he lit a cigarette, it was our signal to bunt. I know it was a different time and era.

Brilliant idea.

I was a Camel Red fan myself. Quit back in 2004 due to the wife (serious girlfriend at the time) putting her foot down due to the smell

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom