Mercedes-Benz to focus on Atlanta stadium; Superdome to have new name in 2021 (1 Viewer)

If it's not about money then Louisiana Superdome will suffice. :)

So if "Louisiana" brand which makes hotsauces, peppers, etc... won the naming rights, it would be the Louisiana Superdome, which would be perfect since it's the Louisiana tax payers that have paid for it.

In fact, I'd love for any company that was awarded the naming rights to put Louisiana back in the title.

The Michelob Ultra Pure Gold Louisiana Superdome
The Super One Louisiana Superdome
The "put your name here" Louisiana Superdome

Whatever, just put Louisiana back in the name.

We couldn't do much worse than Emirates or Qatar. I have flown both and both were top notch. Neither or my fav. KLM for the entertainment system and Thai for the service and food. Ryanair is a nightmare even for a discount airline. Give me AirAsia any day.

---

Worst case scenario: The Duck Dynasty people buy it. Change all the color to camo. Add moss everywhere. Make people grow beards. Call it the Duck CommandoDome.

Advocate editorial,

The shortcomings of Atlanta are too numerous to fully inventory here.

The traffic is stifling. The food is bland. And their football team blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl.

But the grandees at Mercedes-Benz have decided they prefer Atlanta’s modern-as-tomorrow football stadium over our historic Superdome. So they will be scratching their name off the dome’s roof when the automaker’s marketing agreement expires next year.

Mercedes makes a fine car, but when it comes to picking a football stadium, they are out of their league.

The Superdome has hosted seven Super Bowls, the Rolling Stones and Pope John Paul II. Under its 10-acre roof, Tulane played an undefeated season, Michael Jordan won a national championship for North Carolina, George Bush said “no new taxes” and Roberto Duran said “no mas.”

Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium is three years old. It has hosted a Super Bowl, but it is most famous for the inability of the builders to get the pinwheel roof to work correctly. Still, Louisianians will remember it fondly because Joe Burrow and the Tigers scored 100 points there in December, while humiliating Georgia and Oklahoma on the way to a national championship.

Call us nostalgic, but we miss the days when stadiums were named for local standouts, and Tom Benson’s name sure would look nice on the Superdome. But these days, everything is for sale, so another corporate giant will surely pay good money to have its name painted atop what the late, legendary Times-Picayune sports scribe Peter Finney once called the giant mushroom on Poydras Street.

Centurylink has naming rights for Seattle's stadium, but they are a Louisiana company right? Looks like they have the Seattle rights until 2033 though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom