[Merged] Davenport has pectoral injury. (Update per Rapoport: suffered a strain, will miss time but expected back "sooner rather than later") (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
That was MY immediate thought too!

I remember reading we drafted Ruiz to play C, with McCoy at G; but covid affected OTAs, preseason, etc... and "stunted" the Ruiz at C plan. Then McCoy balled out, playing C at an All-Pro level, and coaches didn't want to mess with success. Hard to argue against that.

But with McCoy injured, it's the perfect opportunity to try out Ruiz at C. If Ruiz balls out, make the switch permanent with McCoy to RG (where he started, before switching to C). Worst case scenario, switch 'em back when McCoy is ready.

In the meantime, Throckmorton is getting valuable reps at G, despite being a T in college. And Landon Young (rookie) is still waiting in wings for more seasoning. While Peat is one of our 5 best OL, he is the weakest link of starters, IMO. And he gets hurt often. And although seeming to get more durable with age, Armstead is usually out several games a season. And given that Peat kicks out to LT when Armstead is out, we've been extremely lucky IMO that we've rarely (ever?) had Peat and Armstead both injured at the same time. Throckmorton snaps (and Young, when it happens) are a step in the right direction to strengthening our options when that does happen, and statistically speaking, it will at some point. While not ideal, this does bode well for the future!
Yeah, while it's possible Ruiz would've played just as well at G Sunday if McCoy had stayed healthy, but Ruiz seemed like a completely different player Sunday than he did last year. I wonder if it would be worth it to switch or if Ruiz's improvement is simply the improvement of a talented young player who now has a year's worth of experience under his belt.

Hedon James

the agitant f/k/a Jekylz Hyde
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
what kind of :theclown: even thinks about that, let alone writes about it
Apparently, the Saints braintrust thinks about that, cuz they've taken steps to mitigate our potential exposure. and it's been discussed NUMEROUS times in numerous threads here. this isn't a novel thought that I voiced out loud.

But I hear what you're saying and I hope I didn't jinx it. I can assure you that....historically speaking....I don't have that kind of power.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way our surgical staff could move the calf further away from the Achilles? Might help lots of players avoid injury.

Probably not, on account that the Achilles tendon is attached to the calf.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, but if I question Hill's tweets, I am an butt crevasse...

... the again, I am an butt crevasse :hihi:

Saint Dupree

Next
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Softball get ya everytime lol.... maybe it's because a bunch of us middle aged men are still trying to ball like we are in our prime lol.
Maybe our muscles are still ready to go but the connecting tissues are saying Nope

Judge_Smails

Above Average Yachtsman
Reaction score
Years ago my uncle sustained a partial Achilles tear in a softball game and said it felt like he'd been shot.
A calf strain can feel pretty severe as well. Around 5 years ago I was playing full court pickup basketball for like the 3rd day in a row and made a move with the ball and it felt like someone shot me in my left calf with a pellet gun. I thought I hurt my achilles or tore a muscle, but the doc said it was a severe strain. I was off my feet for a couple of days and then only walking for two weeks. Jogging after than and a whole month before I even tried to play hoops again.

I would imagine a world class athlete like McCoy will recover a lot quicker than my old self did, but a bad calf strain can be a little scary because the immediate pain is pretty severe.

Saint Dupree

Next
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A calf strain can feel pretty severe as well. Around 5 years ago I was playing full court pickup basketball for like the 3rd day in a row and made a move with the ball and it felt like someone shot me in my left calf with a pellet gun. I thought I hurt my achilles or tore a muscle, but the doc said it was a severe strain. I was off my feet for a couple of days and then only walking for two weeks. Jogging after than and a whole month before I even tried to play hoops again.

I would imagine a world class athlete like McCoy will recover a lot quicker than my old self did, but a bad calf strain can be a little scary because the immediate pain is pretty severe.
Lol, I can't remember the last time I did anything 3 days in a row.....day 1 let's go! Ready for day 2... wakeup on Day 2,3,4,5. Regretting day 1

Judge_Smails

Above Average Yachtsman
Reaction score
Lol, I can't remember the last time I did anything 3 days in a row.....day 1 let's go! Ready for day 2... wakeup on Day 2,3,4,5. Regretting day 1
LOL. I was under 50 then and still paid the price. These days I am lucky if I get on the court once every two weeks because my knees will hurt for that long after playing hoops.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom