N/S [Merged] Kaep withdraws/Settles [mod edit] collusion case (1 Viewer)

It’s possible that the league could have won in court but still come out embarrassed.

I think it’s quite possible as a matter of fact.

We’ll never know because Kaepernick sold out before it could get to court.

Stand for something... unless they offer you a bunch of money

It’s possible that the league could have won in court but still come out embarrassed.

So, say he gives 3/4 of the money he settled for to charities set up for defending minorities in cases of police brutality, or programs that desperately need funding to give kids something to do like NORD...is he still a sellout then? Hell, even if he gives just 1/4 of the money to charity (depending on the amount, obviously) how is he selling out by promoting the efforts he was originally protesting to get people to pay attention to? Because I guarantee you he isn't pocketing all the money he got in the settlement. He's not stupid and I think the majority of fans would agree that he was in fact blackballed by the league in the first place, considering the pathetic quarterbacks in this league that he was obviously better than. Even as a back up. He got blackballed for his political views and a refusal to "fall in line" or else.

You seem way to happy that he settled so you can repeatedly call him a sellout.

How has reading comprehension gotten so bad in this country? Kaep settled the collusion case with the NFL. He can still speak about his cause. He can voice his concerns and raise awareness about police brutality. If he can ever make it back to the NFL, he can still kneel if he wants. His stance was not about collusion. He can't talk about the terms of the deal. And guess what? He wasn't publically talking about collusion anyway. The Nike deal wasn't about collusion it was about taking a stand against police brutality. He wasn't kneeling because of NFL collusion.

He certainly can, but will he?

Kaepernick held a starting QB job between November 2012 all the way through November 2015 before being benched and he never once felt obligated to protest the injustices he allegedly was blackballed for raising awareness of starting in the 2016 preseason.

It wasn’t until he was in the midst of losing a camp battle to Blaine Gabbert that the urge to protest apparently became uncontrollable and he just had to protest.

So if he wasn’t so vocal about raising awareness for the cause he’s championed during the years of his peak popularity in his playing career, what’s to say he’ll continue his fight now that his playing career is most likely done and he no longer has the same stage that was deemed paramount to broadcast his message?

Had his protest began in 2013, he would’ve had a minimum of 3 years at his peak popularity to protest on that highest stage possible, but he didn’t. He waited until he knew he was almost out of the League, why?

Again the goal of the collusion case was to get what he felt he was owed as a result of his protest. It wasn't itself the protest. Clearly, he got what he thought he deserved in the settlement. He was standing up against injustice...not collusion. As far as I can tell, he hasn't changed what stands for since the settlement.

So if he wasn’t so vocal about raising awareness for the cause he’s championed during the years of his peak popularity in his playing career, what’s to say he’ll continue his fight now that his playing career is most likely done and he no longer has the same stage that was deemed paramount to broadcast his message?

Had his protest began in 2013, he would’ve had a minimum of 3 years at his peak popularity to protest on that highest stage possible, but he didn’t. He waited until he knew he was almost out of the League, why?

He hasn't stopped spreading his message since he's been out of the league. And maybe you weren't aware of the police brutality allegations going on nation wide to minorities with no repercussions that had gotten to be daily news by the time he started protesting. I'd say it had pretty much reached a boiling point. He was more benched for protesting than he was beaten out by Blaine Gabbert. I don't think it's even comparable to compare the difference in success between the two QB's.

Before the protest, he was always active both with his time and his money to teach kids a way of life to avoid ever being in a position to be brutalized by some cop with hate in his heart and also gave money to charities fighting for justice for those who were abused by police.kaepernick shirt.jpg

Seems he's given license to use his image for free if he approves of the message. He wasn't protesting collusion, he was protesting brutality. They settled the case because anyone with working eyes and ears could tell he'd been blackballed after refusing to fall in line.

Last edited:
Again the goal of the collusion case was to get what he felt he was owed as a result of his protest. It wasn't itself the protest. Clearly, he got what he thought he deserved in the settlement. He was standing up against injustice...not collusion. As far as I can tell, he hasn't changed what stands for since the settlement.

I don't understand how anyone knows Kaep go what he thought he deserved. The amount of the settlement hasn't been released yet. I've seen at least one other poster say he didn't get much.

Until the amount of the settlement is released, and the evidence comes out (which is probably unlikely anytime soon), I'm like Jim Mora. "You think you know, but you don't know."

The lawsuit was over his not working in the NFL based on collusion which is evidently against the NFL rules. He never proved collusion. Agreed?

He hasn't stopped spreading his message since he's been out of the league. And maybe you weren't aware of the police brutality allegations going on nation wide to minorities with no repercussions that had gotten to be daily news by the time he started protesting. I'd say it had pretty much reached a boiling point. He was more benched for protesting than he was beaten out by Blaine Gabbert. I don't think it's even comparable to compare the difference in success between the two QB's.

LMAO, what? He posted a 10-14 starting record between 2014 and 2015 season barely completing 60% of his passes and averaging barely 1 passing TD per game all before ever protesting. You can take that garbage to the landfill where it belongs.

Protesting didn’t make him post a 3-16 starting record between 2015 and 2016. Protesting didn’t make him complete 1 out of 5 passes for 4 yards and get benched against the Bears.

I posted this in the other Kaepernick thread but it merits being posted here too...

2015 49ers offense with Kaepernick: 13.6 ppg, 2-6 record

2015 49ers offense with Gabbert: 16.1 ppg, 3-5 record

2016 49ers offense with Kaepernick: 18 ppg, 1-10 record

2016 49ers offense with Gabbert: 22.2 ppg, 1-4 record

Gabbert sucked, but Kaepernick did even worse.

I'm sorry but I think most would agree that your original statement

"The owners likely just decided to save the legal fees, inconvenience to their schedules, and having to answer other potentially sensitive questions by paying this clown to go away. "

hardly translates to your following statement:

"The discovery hearings could have potentially veered way off the path of proving collusion and into a cesspool of other things that the NFL doesn't want to talk about. Any decent lawyer could skirt around the rules to use other dirty deeds to try to impeach the testimony of those who testify on behalf of the NFL. You think the league wants one of these owners getting roasted on the stand about God-only-knows-what? "

So you either purposely changed the narrative or you didn't communicate your original statement very well...either way...I guess we agree on that point....

I assume that most people on this board are football-intelligent fans that have "kept up with the [league] news" over the years, and that they at least have a general idea why the league wouldn't want their owners up on a stand during cross examination.

My bad.

For those fans, the initial statement covered the essence of that obvious truth - and the other practical reasons to avoid proceeding with this no-win situation - fairly adequately. All set now?

I don't understand how anyone knows Kaep go what he thought he deserved. The amount of the settlement hasn't been released yet. I've seen at least one other poster say he didn't get much.

Until the amount of the settlement is released, and the evidence comes out (which is probably unlikely anytime soon), I'm like Jim Mora. "You think you know, but you don't know."
My point was that Kaep agreed to settle his collusion case. As settlements go, it wasn't likely the first offer or the only offer, but it was an offer he found acceptable because...well, he accepted it.

He certainly can, but will he?

Kaepernick held a starting QB job between November 2012 all the way through November 2015 before being benched and he never once felt obligated to protest the injustices he allegedly was blackballed for raising awareness of starting in the 2016 preseason.

It wasn’t until he was in the midst of losing a camp battle to Blaine Gabbert that the urge to protest apparently became uncontrollable and he just had to protest.

You perfectly articulated questions about the onset of this entire situation that I have always wondered. We'll never know for sure either way, but it's an entirely plausible thought process. CK always seemed a little "off" in the public eye prior to sitting/kneeling, and from my perspective, clearly had maturity and attitude issues. I fully admit that I have never liked him from the start.

The lawsuit was over his not working in the NFL based on collusion which is evidently against the NFL rules. He never proved collusion. Agreed?

Collusion in the NFL wasn't what Kaep was protesting. Agreed? You're trying to make this all about collusion when it was all about social injustice for him.

Perhaps for NFL hating selfish reasons you wanted the NFL to lose this case. I think Kaep sued the NFL for compensation he loss after using the field as his platform. The most obvious conclusion would be that he sued to recoup that compensation, not to carry out your vendetta of hate against the NFL. I can see how if you wanted to see the NFL lose, Kaepernick's settlement hurt you. But if you're Kaep, and you agreed to the settlement, you gotta think he got what he was after (or at least a good chunk of it) out of the settlement. And now he can continue doing what he he has now set out to do...protesting social injustice issues...not collusion

Protect the Shield.

The only reason why the NFL would have settled would be if they knew there was evidence that would be damaging. Anyone with a lick of sense knows the NFL owners steered clear of offering Kaepernick a contract because they didn't want the headache of dealing with then press he gets from kneeling. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that several QBs of less quality than Kaepernick have started games in the NFL while Colin doesn't so much as get a tryout.

Anyone with a lick of sense knows the NFL owners steered clear of offering Kaepernick a contract because they didn't want the headache of dealing with then press he gets from kneeling. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that several QBs of less quality than Kaepernick have started games in the NFL while Colin doesn't so much as get a tryout.

Right......and in and of itself, that is not collusion. Clubs do not have to employ someone who generates what they perceive to be negative publicity that is damaging to their brand.

He did receive tryouts, by the way. Not that he had to be given one to avoid being found guilty of collusion.

I assume that most people on this board are football-intelligent fans that have "kept up with the [league] news" over the years, and that they at least have a general idea why the league wouldn't want their owners up on a stand during cross examination.

My bad.

For those fans, the initial statement covered the essence of that obvious truth - and the other practical reasons to avoid proceeding with this no-win situation - fairly adequately. All set now?

Not really...assume and obvious...used a lot by folks who fail to communicate clearly....we are all guilty of this from time to time....again, from your first statement to your next it's quite a leap...agree to disagree on your great communication skills...

Protect the Shield.

The only reason why the NFL would have settled would be if they knew there was evidence that would be damaging. Anyone with a lick of sense knows the NFL owners steered clear of offering Kaepernick a contract because they didn't want the headache of dealing with then press he gets from kneeling. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that several QBs of less quality than Kaepernick have started games in the NFL while Colin doesn't so much as get a tryout.

Agree to a point, if Ray Allen and the Ravens are to be believed (and that is a fairly big if) wasn't he actually going to receive a contract offer? So many angles on that one, I've heard it said he conspired with his girlfriend to purposely sabotage the offer. Not saying its true but it is certainly possible....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom