N/S [Merged] Kaep withdraws/Settles [mod edit] collusion case (1 Viewer)

Have a hard time seeing the NFL pass up claiming a public victory if one was getable
Seems like the evidence was either push or tilted in the pkayers’ favor

Well, it's pretty obvious since the NFCCG and subsequent farce of a SB, the NFC has a real public image problem and they would be better off having the Kaep situation in the rearview mirror. I don't know the evidence any of them has, but I think it's really irrelevant to the NFL.

I can understand settling. Both have invested quite a bit in legal costs, so with diminishing returns coming into play, either or both have to decide how far they want to go before their position and risk exposure becomes untenable,.

Do you have a job? What is the main reason you go to work?

He didn’t leave the NFL, he opted out of a contract (that he was going to be released from anyway) to go to the free agent market to try to get a starting job. Then, he alleges, he found himself shutout for non-competitive reasons. And you even concede that was probably true.

Are you a sellout because you cash your paycheck? How can he be a sellout for accepting a check for the pay he alleges he missed due to illegal collusion?
He’s a sellout because he took money to settle a case and he signed a confidentiality agreement. He was suppose to prove that the league illegally colluded to keep him out, and then get money as compensation although I’m not sure about how much he was going for.
Instead he proved nothing but took money to keep quiet. It’s literally the definition of sellout.

Oh, and I’m a total sellout. I admit that.

Well, I have a few things I wouldn’t take money for.

Kaep was suppose to be a man of principal. Not a sellout. A better person than me. Not about the money.

Turns out though. He’s just like me.

Sometimes it Takes one to know one.

The NFL settled not just because they might lose but because the discovery phase probably would have destroyed the league. Stuff that would not just be about Kaepernick stuff like emails, texts, etc that would have painted the NFL in a terrible light ten times over. Colin got a crap ton on money to get him to go away. He wont ever play football again but he made the league bow down to him. It's a great day for him. He'll be remembered for this for years to come. Can't believe after all this time that he actually won.

I’m now against him if thats the case.. He did all this and took the money over integrity..

I would have loved those cheat the saints emails to be exposed.. Wish he would have took them to trial.

He’s a sellout because he took money to settle a case and he signed a confidentiality agreement. He was suppose to prove that the league illegally colluded to keep him out, and then get money as compensation although I’m not sure about how much he was going for.
Instead he proved nothing but took money to keep quiet. It’s literally the definition of sellout.

Oh, and I’m a total sellout. I admit that.

Well, I have a few things I wouldn’t take money for.

Kaep was suppose to be a man of principal. Not a sellout. A better person than me. Not about the money.

Turns out though. He’s just like me.

Sometimes it Takes one to know one.

What do you mean he proved nothing? He proved enough to get a settlement. You seem to have this misconception about who he filed the grievance for and why.

He took a knee because he thought it raised awareness about injustice. That was his principle, that was for other people.

He filed a grievance because he felt he was shut out for making a statement - but that was for him because that’s his living. And he got a settlement that was obviously valuable enough, in comparison to the risk of getting nothing, to accept and end it. Why does he owe it to you to make the terms public? It’s his case - he knows what the evidence said and what the terms of the settlement are.

Just admit that you don’t like him and so you’re crafting this sellout argument to disparage him. You’re entitled to think that, at least be real about it. I just think it’s off the mark - as a matter of fact, not opinion. It’s a mischaracterization of the grievance.

According to Ray Lewis - but that’s not entirely reliable. The fact is that none of us knows what the evidence showed - what the testimony was. None of us is in a position to say whether he “deserved” to get a settlement because there was evidence of collision against him playing in the league. But he got a settlement and that means the parties came to a negotiated resolution that both sides were willing to accept.

Well Kaepernick's camp never refuted those claims, to my knowledge. I mean her racist tweet is right there in the story. If you were Steve Bisciotti, the owner of the Ravens, would you want your front office to go through with signing Kaepernick after his girlfriend openly referenced you to a slave owner online for the entire world to see?

Or if you were Ray Lewis, would you still give your blessing for the team to sign him after essentially being referenced to a Sambo-esque character?

How about the other 30 NFL teams in the League, why would they even bother offering him a deal after seeing that ignorant and sickening display out of her loudmouth when it wasn't needed or even asked for?

She talked his way out of a job likely more an any of the 32 owners did.

He took money (sold) in exchange for his silence! He signed a confidentiality agreement!
It’s classic selling of your ‘self’.

He’s a social warrior these days. He was trying to prove that there is systemic blackballing going on in the NFL and as a supposed man of principal, he should not have been about the money in his search for justice but in the end, that’s all he is about... the money. He should have been the 5% that get to court. He should have ignored any attempt by ‘the man’ to buy him out but what did he do? He SOLD! Done! It’s what companies do all the time to people who act like they’re about the principle. They throw money at them to challenge their resolve. And it works.

He is a text book SELL OUT!

He never proved that the nfl blackballed him. He never proved that the nfl was racist. He never proved that the league was systematically boycotting him.

Nope.
He let money get in the way.

I to wanted him to fight it all the way but you must also consider the consequences of battle with an organization as big and powerful as the NFL. It is like fighting big oil or big drug companies who knows what extremes they are willing to go to in order to protect their secrets; money.

If the Saints sued the NFL over the non-call in the NFCCG and got it in front of a judge, all of us would be elated. If the Saints got the NFL to settle the case for undisclosed millions, there would be dancing in the street as it would be a clear sign of admission on the part of the league. The same people chiding Kaep would call it a win for all Saints fans that Gayle took the money in the settlement. Even getting the NFL to settle would be seen as the victory that it is. This thread is full of hypocrisy.

Well Kaepernick's camp never refuted those claims, to my knowledge. I mean her racist tweet is right there in the story. If you were Steve Bisciotti, the owner of the Ravens, would you want your front office to go through with signing Kaepernick after his girlfriend openly referenced you to a slave owner online for the entire world to see?

Or if you were Ray Lewis, would you still give your blessing for the team to sign him after essentially being referenced to a Sambo-esque character?

How about the other 30 NFL teams in the League, why would they even bother offering him a deal after seeing that ignorant and sickening display out of her loudmouth when it wasn't needed or even asked for?

She talked his way out of a job likely more an any of the 32 owners did.

I don’t disagree with you that teams have a prerogative to not sign a guy for reasons that aren’t just football and those things matter. I was never saying that a team can’t refuse to sign a guy for those reasons and that’s not collusion. Collusion in this context is when the employers in a limited field decide together or act in concert to close off access to employment - blackballing has been held to be an anti-trust and labor law violation.

I’m also not saying that I think there was collusion, I really don’t know. But it seems like you’re continuing to argue that he didn’t have a case - but you don’t have the full set of evidence. And the league thought there was enough league interest in settling it that they decided to do so. Maybe there was some evidence of collusion - none of us knows. But you certainly can’t keep saying there wasn’t, any more than someone else could insist there was.

Stands to reason that this along with other Kaep-related threads would serve as a microcosm of American society. He is fully aware that a certain segment of the population hates him for taking that stance. Perhaps his reasonable mistrust of the American judicial system towards black men had played a role in his accepting a settlement.

I wouldn't risk a jury not of my peers finding the NFL culpable, yet handing me $8 in punitive damages either...

Last edited:
Maybe. Or maybe his case wasn’t actually that good after the evidence, and taking some money with a strict confidentiality was better than the odds of winning with the arbitrator. We just don’t know.

Except the NFL just doesn't offer millions of dollars in that case, remember this is the same NFL that tried to sue New Orleans merchandise vendors on the basis that the Who Dat phrase is property of the NFL (it wasn't and isn't)...that is how low the NFL will stoop for a few bucks....There is no question in my mind that for the NFL this was entirely about avoiding a very embarrassing potentially criminal discovery phase....

What do you mean he proved nothing? He proved enough to get a settlement. You seem to have this misconception about who he filed the grievance for and why.

He took a knee because he thought it raised awareness about injustice. That was his principle, that was for other people.

He filed a grievance because he felt he was shut out for making a statement - but that was for him because that’s his living. And he got a settlement that was obviously valuable enough, in comparison to the risk of getting nothing, to accept and end it. Why does he owe it to you to make the terms public? It’s his case - he knows what the evidence said and what the terms of the settlement are.

Just admit that you don’t like him and so you’re crafting this sellout argument to disparage him. You’re entitled to think that, at least be real about it. I just think it’s off the mark - as a matter of fact, not opinion. It’s a mischaracterization of the grievance.
I’m not a fan of CKaep and I don’t like his actions. I’ve said it before. I hate that he took a knee for the anthem. It’s stupid and wrong. He embodies the Victim mentality. Many fans agree.
Luckily for him though, he lives in a country that allows it. As a victim, he’s gotten rich.

But I am not crafting anything. He sold out.

He had a protest against the NFL. He wanted to play in the league but couldn’t get hired. So he sued the NFL. He claimed that they were colluding to keep him out. THAT was never proven. So he didn’t win. He wins because HE got paid but he didn’t prove anything other than he has a price that he’ll take to Stop claiming that they colluded against him. So he sold his protest out.

If he gets hired by another team, then perhaps he can be considered a success since that is what he wanted afterall. We’ll have to see about that.

And if he does, will he still take a knee during the anthem? If he’s true to his cause that there is systemic racism in the police force then he might. Otherwise, again... He sells his protest out.

I will never like CKaep’s actions though. No problem admitting that. We both live under the same flag but he protests it while getting rich under the freedom that it provides. I have it flying out front of my house....

Except the NFL just doesn't offer millions of dollars in that case, remember this is the same NFL that tried to sue New Orleans merchandise vendors on the basis that the Who Dat phrase is property of the NFL (it wasn't and isn't)...that is how low the NFL will stoop.

Ehhh....no. Fighting that case, and others such as the Deflategate case, did not involve dragging some of the league's owners through aggressive discovery hearings for an end goal to simply be held not liable. Not even in the same universe.

The reality is that Kaepernick might not have had any credible, hard evidence at all, and that whatever he had was circumstantial at best. Even the hard-left media admitted from the very beginning that his claims would be next to impossible to prove. The owners likely just decided to save the legal fees, inconvenience to their schedules, and having to answer other potentially sensitive questions by paying this clown to go away. The confidentiality clause alone was likely worth the money, because CK can't open his beak about collusion anymore, ever. Not now, not if/when he signs with another team, not after his realistic playing days are over and he wants to write a book. He's been silenced. And there no Pandora's box to worry about here, because the whole kneeling during the national anthem thing has already had its 15 minutes and nobody gives a crap anymore. Even the media doesn't really bother covering it at this point.

Ehhh....no. Fighting that case, and others such as the Deflategate case, did not involve dragging some of the league's owners through aggressive discovery hearings for an end goal to simply be held not liable. Not even in the same universe.

The reality is that Kaepernick might not have had any credible, hard evidence at all, and that whatever he had was circumstantial at best. Even the hard-left media admitted from the very beginning that his claims would be next to impossible to prove. The owners likely just decided to save the legal fees, inconvenience to their schedules, and having to answer other potentially sensitive questions by paying this clown to go away. The confidentiality clause alone was likely worth the money, because CK can't open his beak about collusion anymore, ever. Not now, not if/when he signs with another team, not after his realistic playing days are over and he wants to write a book. He's been silenced. And there no Pandora's box to worry about here, because the whole kneeling during the national anthem thing has already had its 15 minutes and nobody gives a crap anymore. Even the media doesn't really bother covering it at this point.

Nope. You're using some serious mental gymnastics to make this appear like anything more than what it actually is, the NFL breaking precedence and settling with a player. This speaks volumes. The NFL simply doesn't do business like that. They know how this would appear to legal analysts and still decided it was best to settle.

If the Saints sued the NFL over the non-call in the NFCCG and got it in front of a judge, all of us would be elated. If the Saints got the NFL to settle the case for undisclosed millions, there would be dancing in the street as it would be a clear sign of admission on the part of the league. The same people chiding Kaep would call it a win for all Saints fans that Gayle took the money in the settlement. Even getting the NFL to settle would be seen as the victory that it is. This thread is full of hypocrisy.
Not going to speak for everyone else like you are trying to do, but for my part, you are dead wrong. In the scenario you described, my hope would not be for Ms. Gayle to awarded money, but for a lengthy, very public proceeding that forced the NFL to defend its officiating through testimony as much and for as long as possible. The exchange of money in that scenario is meaningless; it would mean that the Saints let them off the hook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom