Saints [Merged] R.I.P. Tom Dempsey (1 Viewer)

He died years ago. I spray his widow's home for pest control and talk to her about him.

I remember the kick like it was yesterday. I was 12 years old watching it on TV in my parents living room. When he hit it, I ran outside to go tell my neighborhood friend and he was also outside coming to tell me. It was already a bright, sunny day and it seemed to be a little brighter after that.
One of my favorite childhood heroes. Rest In Peace sir.

I remember there was talk that the coach at the time meant to send out the punt team but accidentally sent out the field goal team instead. However that honestly doesn't make sense to me since the Saints were trailing by 1 and there was :02 seconds on the clock. Anyone know anything about that story?

My wife and I met him at the Saints Hall of Fame in 2011. He told us how back then the players didn't make much money and most players had other jobs besides football. He told us every day after practice he would bring a case of Dixie Beer in the trunk of his car and they would sit in the parking lot and drink the entire case of beer. He was indeed a wonderful soul and we have truly lost a legend. RIP Mr. Dempsey.

IMG_0596.JPG
What an incredible memory for him and y’all....thanks for sharing that. Makes me wish I could have had some beers with him.

In honor of Tom Dempsey.. Im going outside.. with my football.. and Im kicking it as hard and far as I can (I live out in the woods away from society, not suggested for people that live close to others).

RIP, indeed. I met him during college, as he worked at the same place I was working, related to the car business. Graciously signed his autograph for me. A gentle giant he was. Since Jan Stenerud is still living, Tom is now the best kicker in heaven.

I remember there was talk that the coach at the time meant to send out the punt team but accidentally sent out the field goal team instead. However that honestly doesn't make sense to me since the Saints were trailing by 1 and there was :02 seconds on the clock. Anyone know anything about that story?
The way I’d heard it from stories told about it by Buddy D, the special teams coach said “should we send out the kicking team?” and Coach Roberts called for the punt team (I guess he didn’t have much situational awareness). The special teams coach then frantically said “No! Stumpy!!!” Which was what they affectionately called Dempsey.

Tom used to coach my youth football team at Driftwood / Galatas Playground in the very early 80s. His son, Toby was on the team.

He used to dip/chew when he was coaching the youth teams. One day, he balled up a bit of chew/dip just smaller than a golf ball and yelled "Hey Danny, Catch!" as he threw it. I caught it smashing it in my hands and 9 or 10 year old me was convinced he had thrown a dog turd to me. I was so startled I yelled, "Oh shirt!" and recoiled in disgust. The parents/coaches who were around had a good laugh about it. You got me, Tom.

RIP

Saints threw about a 20 yard completion to Al Dodd on the sidelines on the last play from scrimmage out to their 44 yard line. Dodd made a miraculous toe tip catch.
The story behind the story was this. JD Roberts has just been called up to coach the team from the Saints minor league Richmond team at the time. Roberts had no clue what was going on having been there only a couple of days. So when Dodd made his catch, Dempsey called out “FG team” from the sidelines. Roberts saw them line up and said “why are we trying a FG from our own 37?”
You can see in the video some players carrying Roberts off on their shoulders after winning his first NFL game but the truth is he had no idea they were trying a FG.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom