[Merged] Roger Goodell’s Letter to Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards (1 Viewer)

We’ll get nothing but lip service from Goodel. There’ll be no material compensation for the worst no call in the history of sports.

We can only hope that at some point the league needs federal help and some one of our reps is in the position to use some leverage and put Goodel in a vice.

This is how we got a team in the first place. Rozell needed some help and Russel Long cut a deal to get an expansion franchise in New Orleans in exchange for a vote to allow the NFC and AFC to combine and essentially bypass antitrust laws and create a monopoly.
Long was blocking the move but cut the deal which worked out quite well for him politically in the end.

It’s a longshot that we ever find goodel in dire straights but it would certainly be nice to put the screws to him.

I don't see logic when people justfy the mistake on human error "The players make mistakes, the coaches make mistakes, the officials too make mistakes"
The first two are part of the game, and we do not try to correct those mistakes once they occur. We don't put rules in to correct the mistakes. of players & coaches. Those mistakes are suppose to be part of the game and determine the victor and looser. We DO put in rules/replays to correct the officiating and we have been doing it for years. We should be trying to eliminate and reverse those mistakes because they should not be part of the decision of who is the victor and who is the loser. We correct the clock operator, we even check the guy who inflates the footballs, to make sure he got it right. There should have been a correction on the field, by the refs before the next play was run. He should be making statements about how we gonna fix this, not the bs about there are errors and there will always be errors, by everybody, players coaches, officials. Just more BS on top of BS excuses.

Last edited:
I am probably not invested in the Saints as most of you, not being from New Orleans or even America but I totally get the call was incorrect and shocking but you cannot throw away a lead like we had and then blame someone else.

I am probably not invested in the Saints as most of you, not being from New Orleans or even America but I totally get the call was incorrect and shocking but you cannot throw away a lead like we had and then blame someone else.
To "throw away a lead" you have to acquire that lead.

AGAIN. It is football between two very good, very even teams. After 58 minutes they were tied. One team drove down the field and was in position for first and goal. Could have run the clock down inside of 20 seconds and kick a go ahead field goal. The team that put themselves in this position after 58 minutes of hard-fought, back-and-forth football was the victim of an egregious no call. A call that usually gets a minimum of 3 flags thrown. The league admitted it. National media never agrees on anything - they agreed on this.

I don't know what is worse, having to endure the disappointment of the game or still having to hear the "should haven't to rely on one play" or "but, look at the facemask on Goff" or "why did they pass on first down" or "they had a lead and lost it" or ...

Last edited:
Okay, I read it. Sounds boilerplate. Glad he took so long to "personally" address something that egregious.
Written by his attorneys. Treasure our relationship. Well the mods have already told me to tone it down so I’ll not complete that sentence

So old RG admits a penalty should have been called on that play (only one?) and there was clearly an "officiating error". But no mention of holding referees accountable for those errors or facing consequences for them, in the same manner that the NFL & Roger penalizes players and teams. Also no addressing the player safety issues that the refs either ignored or were too blind to see throughout the game. So in summary, "oops!, but see - I wrote a letter".

Clown status not revoked.
He set the precedent right. If he didn’t know he should have

Uh, did anyone catch the last line? Is this legit? This letter is from Roger? This letter went past his editing and PR team?

"I hope you will free to call if you would like to discuss this further."

Does he mean "I hope you will [feel] free to call if you would like to discuss this further"? No, then "will" is not necessary. Did he mean to edit out/remove "free to," so that it reads "I hope you will call if you would like to discuss this further"?

That is awfully embarrassing. I would be ashamed to send a single work email with a sentence that clearly flawed.

Obviously, he and his editing team never heard of the etiquette rule that you do not write in ALL CAPS. Unfortunately, we know your name, Roger.

I have not heard anyone say we blew our lead becasue of the refs. When the refs blew the game, the game was tied , we were not behind, and and the SAINTS had put themselves in a position to win the game by controlling the clock,. By possessing the ball, and going ahead with little or no time on the clock. They then executed a perfect play to make a first down because TTL was wide open . The RAMS player knew and admitted he had to take him out even at the cost of a penatly. It's at that point the refs took all that away from the SAINTS. THE NO-CALL took all that success away from the SAINTS, most importanlty the clock control. That is were the blame lies. Everyone from the player who admitted the two obvious fouls, all the way to the commisioner who admits the refs did not make the call. That is where the BLAME Is and will always be.

PR 101...end on a high note:

"and... don't forget we gave you a Superbowl!"

Irrelevant. The game came down to that call.

Anyone else read that Super Bowl paragraph as a sort of subtle "threat" to be cool and play ball?
I did see the mention of a distant Superbowl in 2024 being a very veiled threat, or at least a backhanded, "shut up and be thankful we still come there for the Superbowl." because it was in no way germane to the subject.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom