Saints [Merged] Saints Restructure Kiko Alonso's Contract (1 Viewer)

Still plenty of linebackers out there including Ogletree. I kind of like to see Haason Reddick signed as well. IIRC we were linked to him pre-draft.

They are names more than production. I’m not convinced that any of the available LBs are better than Klein. And I don’t think that Klein is anything special at all.

It's always about the money.

I'm fine taking a shot on Kiko for about 3 mil. I'm not getting my hopes up but there must be some confidence that he will play this year. For that price it's worth the risk. Throw in Anzalone and Ellis and we just might get a full year of LB play complementing Davis.

Shoot I'd keep Peat if he'd sign a cheap deal. It might just happen with such little news on him.

I love that we kept Onyemata but I thought he was too pricey. He's getting paid like some big-name DTs. Based on last year I don't see paying him that much more than Malcolm Brown. I think run stopping DTs are like the running back position. Hopefully I'm right that he still has a lot of upside because we are paying him for it.

They are names more than production. I’m not convinced that any of the available LBs are better than Klein. And I don’t think that Klein is anything special at all.

Reddick you'd probably be right but I doubt that with Ogletree. If we thought Klein was all that special we would have tried to match Buffalo's offer.

FWIW for an unbiased perspective, Walterfootball had them graded as top 12 ILB options and Klein at #29.

LB Kiko Alonso, Saints: restructured contract. Base salary reduced from $6.4MM to $1.7MM, $4.7MM available in incentives. Already has $1.45MM roster bonus, meaning he can still hit his previous $7.85MM total via playing-time bonuses. All notes via ESPN’s Mike Triplett on Twitter.

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
I put LB as a top 3 need now. One starter has had 3 or 4 shoulder injuries and another has had 3 ACL tears. Would be no surprise if neither could make it a full season healthy, and behind them, aside from Davis, there is very little to work with.

I put LB as a top 3 need now. One starter has had 3 or 4 shoulder injuries and another has had 3 ACL tears. Would be no surprise if neither could make it a full season healthy, and behind them, aside from Davis, there is very little to work with.
ACL tears don't seem to be the career killers they used to be. (Remember AD coming back in like 6 months only to end the season like 8 yards short of the single season rushing title?) The recovery time is much shorter than it used to be too. There must have been some advancements in the surgery and rehab I don't know anything about.

The shoulder for AA is a concern though. It's not as common of an injury as an ACL so there probably hasn't been as much advancement in the science of the surgery/rehab/recovery.

I thought Kiko played well last year. At worst this is depth that we need. I would assume they’re not finished addressing the linebacker position.

ACL tears don't seem to be the career killers they used to be. (Remember AD coming back in like 6 months only to end the season like 8 yards short of the single season rushing title?) The recovery time is much shorter than it used to be too. There must have been some advancements in the surgery and rehab I don't know anything about.

The shoulder for AA is a concern though. It's not as common of an injury as an ACL so there probably hasn't been as much advancement in the science of the surgery/rehab/recovery.

An ACL injury isn't career ending like it used to be, no. Having three of them is a bigger deal, though. Remember Kikaha? Hopefully Kiko fully recovers and plays a full season, but right now, I wouldn't bet on it. That's just me. Not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure the risk of re-injury is elevated even more after every injury accumulated in a player's career, regardless of what body part we're talking about. So with Kiko and Anzalone both being at elevated risks of not making it through next season healthy, we absolutely must upgrade this position. It's a top need in my opinion.

An ACL injury isn't career ending like it used to be, no. Having three of them is a bigger deal, though. Remember Kikaha? Hopefully Kiko fully recovers and plays a full season, but right now, I wouldn't bet on it. That's just me. Not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure the risk of re-injury is elevated even more after every injury accumulated in a player's career, regardless of what body part we're talking about. So with Kiko and Anzalone both being at elevated risks of not making it through next season healthy, we absolutely must upgrade this position. It's a top need in my opinion.
Kikaha is a bit different though in that he tore his ACL 4 games into the 2011 season in college and then again before the 2012 season started. Then fully tore it again with us in 2016. Alonso tore his before the 2014 season and then had a grade 2 sprain/partial tear of the same ACL in the 2015 season and went ACL injury free until this January. (Do we know if it's the same ACL that's been injured twice? I can't find that anywhere...)

All that being said, I'm sure we'll address the position regardless unless they think Kaden Elliss is the answer - who's also coming off an injury.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom