[Merged] Saints sign WR Bryan Edwards (1 Viewer)

Sophomore slump? Or ATL handed him something he wasnt ready for? Like to be their savior?
I don’t think they were expecting too much from Edwards with London and Pitts on the roster for big targets. They didn’t even give up a pick for him (swapped a future 5th for a future 7th). Edwards ended up fifth or worse on their depth chart after a couple of weeks, which isn’t a good situation for playing time when they use a lot of 2 WR sets.

The Falcons probably had the same thought process we do now, see if they can get him to realize his potential for a low investment.

Since we lost both Harty and Callaway he has a chance to make the cut, but I’m not expecting him to suddenly become dominant in year four.

I could very much be drawing a huge blank here, but Edwards is the only FA WR the Saints have signed.
We re-signed Kirkwood and added Kawaan Baker on a futures contract. Our preseason WR roster before the draft or additional signings is:

Thomas
Olave
Shaheed
TQS
Merritt
Kirkwood
Baker
Edwards

I don’t think they were expecting too much from Edwards with London and Pitts on the roster for big targets. They didn’t even give up a pick for him (swapped a future 5th for a future 7th). Edwards ended up fifth or worse on their depth chart after a couple of weeks, which isn’t a good situation for playing time when they use a lot of 2 WR sets.

The Falcons probably had the same thought process we do now, see if they can get him to realize his potential for a low investment.

Since we lost both Harty and Callaway he has a chance to make the cut, but I’m not expecting him to suddenly become dominant in year four.

We didn't lose Harty and Callaway, we chose not to extend them. The FO knew those spots were upgradable and needed to be addressed.

Not only did we sign him for depth but he is the only other WR on the team except Keith Kirkwood that is a big wide bodied receiver in the mold of a Michael Thomas. I'm not saying he is MT, just made like him. He will likely be Thomas's backup.

We didn't lose Harty and Callaway, we chose not to extend them. The FO knew those spots were upgradable and needed to be addressed.
I understand why they’re gone. It’s pretty common to say a team lost a player when they get signed by another team. That can only happen if the team doesn’t extend their contracts.

Kinda hard for me to judge him off what he did in Atlanta when their number 4 overall pick TE has 1 touchdown on American soil. Please stop lol
Actually he has 3TDs total on American soil. Scored 2 TDs last year while playing only 10 games. Please stop lol. I would temper my expectations on Edwards. We do not as of now need an outside WR, we need a slot WR that can move the chains on 3rd down in the mold of Lance Moore(Zay Jones/Josh Downs), and we haven't had one of those in YEARSSSS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom