[MERGED] We threw the ball on 3rd and one. (1 Viewer)

In that situation you run it on 3rd, and you run it again on 4th if you don't get it. Don't give Brady the ball back if you can help it.

This for sure!! I know it appeared Ingram tweaked his knee or ankle on the run (which he injured before, so why was he running that play instead of Kamara), but nonetheless, he completely botched that play because he could easily have gotten the first down OR at least fall on the darn ground in play.

Did you see an audible? Hear him audible into throw to Calloway?

I'd suggest finding the play and watching it for yourself. Especially if you're going to criticize Underhill for making it up when he's been nothing but fair to Dalton.

It was either the hot route or a backside route on the opposite side of the field. It's the throw you make if the corner is playing off and you want to pick up an easy first down. Not against their best CB playing press coverage. It's clear as day watching the play that Landry pushes the receiver inside with his route and opens up a massive hole for Prentice to get an easy first down.

It's basically the first thing Dennis Allen talks about in his press conference. Plain and clear as day.

Last edited:
I'd suggest finding the play and watching it for yourself. Especially if you're going to criticize Underhill for making it up when he's been nothing but fair to Dalton.

It was either the hot route or a backside route on the opposite side of the field. It's the throw you make if the corner is playing off and you want to pick up an easy first down. Not against their best CB playing press coverage. It's clear as day watching the play that Landry pushes the receiver inside with his route and opens up a massive hole for Prentice to get an easy first down.

I'm sure that is true.

But putting the ball in the air *at all* in that situation is just criminally stupid. Whether its Callaway or the fullback who has exactly 1 touch this whole season. It's nonsensical.

I'm sure that is true.

But putting the ball in the air *at all* in that situation is just criminally stupid. Whether its Callaway or the fullback who has exactly 1 touch this whole season. It's nonsensical.

Thats my entire POINT here- WE CALLED A PASS PLAY REGARDLESS.

Blaming Dalton for the misgivings of our OC im not doing it. Im not scapegoating Dalton or Ingram for that matter ( not getting the 1st feeling knee pain )

This was a dumb play call and idgaf what Underhill says at this point.

It's basically the first thing Dennis Allen talks about in his press conference. Plain and clear as day.

This isnt about "fair" - this is about creating a narrative that the QB was responsible for a play call/play design that the OC should have immediately called a TO ( if your QB doesnt have an alternate play to audible to )

Sorry, idc what Underhill writes about this...i watched that play live, saw the replay in slow motion and its burned into my psyche. The ball ricocheting off his hands, into air - we were extremely lucky it wasnt picked.

Its the same reason teams RUN THE BALL in those situations - putting the ball "in the air" against press coverage is the dumbest thing to do and a sure fire way of cementing your idiocy as a play caller.

Context matters- we have a journeyman QB, throwing a quick slant to our #5 WR covered by their #1 CB in PRESS COVERAGE- what is clear to me is they THOUGHT by lining Calloway out wide, they would "trick" TB into thinking run play and TB was having none of it.

There isnt a single line Underhill can write that will change the minds of many who saw that play unfold.

And for the record, Underhill is not above critique.

This isnt about "fair" - this is about creating a narrative that the QB was responsible for a play call/play design that the OC should have immediately called a TO ( if your QB doesnt have an alternate play to audible to )

Sorry, idc what Underhill writes about this...i watched that play live, saw the replay in slow motion and its burned into my psyche. The ball ricocheting off his hands, into air - we were extremely lucky it wasnt picked.

Its the same reason teams RUN THE BALL in those situations - putting the ball "in the air" against press coverage is the dumbest thing to do and a sure fire way of cementing your idiocy as a play caller.

Context matters- we have a journeyman QB, throwing a quick slant to our #5 WR covered by their #1 CB in PRESS COVERAGE- what is clear to me is they THOUGHT by lining Calloway out wide, they would "trick" TB into thinking run play and TB was having none of it.

There isnt a single line Underhill can write that will change the minds of many who saw that play unfold.

And for the record, Underhill is not above critique.

Carmichael has all of Payton's cuteness without Payton's results.

This for sure!! I know it appeared Ingram tweaked his knee or ankle on the run (which he injured before, so why was he running that play instead of Kamara), but nonetheless, he completely botched that play because he could easily have gotten the first down OR at least fall on the darn ground in play.
even if he fell on the ground short of the first down, they would have to use a timeout, i know they had one left at the end of the game, but it would have changed the way they played bc they knew they had a time out

Carmichael has all of Payton's cuteness without Payton's results.

Sean had what Carmichael does not- situational awareness.

You would think that having 15 years to watch and learn, that when we are at a critical point in the game, you go to your very best call. That wasnt it

To be fair to PC, Sean started losing a bit of that moxie toward the end of his tenure. I remember questioning play calls at certain times that were pointing to him losing that moxie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom