[Merged] WWL: Saints Can Clinch Playoff Berth with Victory Over the Falcons (1 Viewer)

That's one goal that would be taken care of this season. After that, it would be winning the South and securing the number one seed.
WWL has a solid breakdown of how things can occur going forward.

If the Saints beat the falcons they would be 10-2 and 5-0 in the South with 3 games left & one more division opponent to play. TB is 7-5 and 2-2 in the division so by my math the saints would also win the South with a win in the ATL.

If the Saints beat the falcons they would be 10-2 and 5-0 in the South with 3 games left & one more division opponent to play. TB is 7-5 and 2-2 in the division so by my math the saints would also win the South with a win in the ATL.
But the Bucs would still have four games left so technically could finish 11-5. They have a really late bye week this year.

At 9-2, this thread wouldn't mean much to me had I not lived through the season where we were 9-4 with an injured Aaron Brooks and finished 9-7 losing to three straight losing teams in spectacular choking fashion and missing the playoffs because the Jets kicker Doug Brien missed a FG.

Edit: I may be getting my seasons mixed up.

Two games to clinch the division. Eleven is the magic number.

If we lose out, we are 10-6. if Tampa wins out they are 11-5 thus division winners ( Division still based on overall record - division games used to break a tie atop division if overall records are tied )

so 11 wins is the number.

Any chance to sweep a division foe is worth the exta effort regardless of the playoff motivations.
A division trifecta would be a cherry on top of this season.

At 9-2 I think that’s pretty much a gimme now because we all know the teams chasing the Saints will not all win out.

At 9-2, this thread wouldn't mean much to me had I not lived through the season where we were 9-4 with an injured Aaron Brooks and finished 9-7 losing to three straight losing teams in spectacular choking fashion and missing the playoffs because the Jets kicker Doug Brien missed a FG.

Edit: I may be getting my seasons mixed up.

Yes you combined a couple seasons together there. 2002 was when they lost 3 straight to 3 teams with losing records. 2004 is when they won 4 straight to end the season and missed the playoffs with the Brien FG miss. That's the reason I know all about how the 3 way tiebreaker works. We were in a three way tie and we were the odd man out. The Rams got in even though we beat them head to head that year.

Here is a more accurate picture of the playoff-clinching scenarios, the wwl article is wrong.

Attachments

• CAF63E67-6F32-4186-ACBD-EB7E1DB98847.png
    CAF63E67-6F32-4186-ACBD-EB7E1DB98847.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 75DC0E15-756E-4C74-B91A-3B2B8A879F39.png
    75DC0E15-756E-4C74-B91A-3B2B8A879F39.png
    394 KB · Views: 8
  • 7712BB47-7C8B-471A-92D4-7073E457F220.jpeg
    7712BB47-7C8B-471A-92D4-7073E457F220.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 8
We need Bears to lose to clinch the #7.

The Bears could still match our conference wins and it would come down to SoV and SoS (which is too random to clinch).

The Vikings are the same case but they have to play the Bucs and Bears. So if they did get a tiebreaker over us they would have to eliminate other playoff threats along the way. In fact, if we win and the Vikings win out it would actually clinch the #3 seed for us by beating the Bucs.

49ers can't match our conf wins if we win.

We could clinch the #3 seed with a win and Bucs loss. Their bye week will delay that option for a while though.

This is a pretty significant game and my feeling is the Falcons will be ready. But, I also feel we will too. The injuries are no trivial issue. It only starts at minus our starting QB and this weeks injuries on the defense just adds to it. I have no idea what the Falcons strengths (if any) might be but just being a rivalry game heats things up.

Being able to clinch a playoff berth while (noted above) eliminating the Falcons is a sweet bonus and should be enough to fire up our team. If the Defense can control the game and get some turnovers this should be a pretty easy contest. If we have to match them for points, Payton will have to balance his fear of offensive turnover with having to score points.

I think we win and could see a lopsided victory but could also see a nail biter.

Go Saints!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom