Meritocracy: Justice (1 Viewer)

Comus

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Even tho this is a summary for a course, it presents, in compact form, some of the debates on societies rewarding based on merit. I found it very interesting.

About 10 minutes in is the discussion and I found one part very interesting.

His work and his latest book that I am Jonesing to read really brings up the debates on what we consider as Justice.

http://athome.harvard.edu/programs/jmr/

I don't understand people against being rewarded based on merit.

If I was in his class and got a bad grade I would argue that the students who did better than me had an unfair advantage over me, and just because they did well does not mean I should get a bad grade and end the end, should get the same grade as them.

If I was in his class and got a bad grade I would argue that the students who did better than me had an unfair advantage over me, and just because they did well does not mean I should get a bad grade and end the end, should get the same grade as them.

In a system of rewards based upon merit I want to be in that group which decides what the metrics of merit are. Cuz I want my fair advantage.

It's not that people are anti-merit, it's that merit ratings are not everything. If it is purely a numerical, single event competition, it hold more weight as an indicator. But things are not that simple, especially when looking a the issue of justice or even game theory in economics.

In a court of law should the outcome just be based on which lawyer has the highest graduating grade?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom