MERS: New SARS-like virus spreading and killing (1 Viewer)

This sounds as if its easy for travelers to contract while natives seem to have more luck not being infected or the symptons aren't much worse then the common flu for natives and a lot of the infections go unnoticed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This sounds as if its easy for travelers to contract while natives seem to have more luck not being infected or the symptons aren't much worse then the common flu for natives and a lot of the infections go unnoticed.

I'm not so sure . . . the Saudis have had almost half of the cases and now it appears that Jordan has a cluster of 10. It could be that the testing for the virus is just more consistent in the European countries and so those travelers who come back sick are identified more quickly and routinely than those in the Mid-East countries.

I'm not so sure . . . the Saudis have had almost half of the cases and now it appears that Jordan has a cluster of 10. It could be that the testing for the virus is just more consistent in the European countries and so those travelers who come back sick are identified more quickly and routinely than those in the Mid-East countries.

Could be. This just sounds hard to contract. I think of flu season. When someone in my office gets it, everyone gets sick within the next 6 weeks. This doesn't seem to spread as easily. Its hard to imagine it becoming anymore of pandemic then Ebola or bird flu.

Could be. This just sounds hard to contract. I think of flu season. When someone in my office gets it, everyone gets sick within the next 6 weeks. This doesn't seem to spread as easily. Its hard to imagine it becoming anymore of pandemic then Ebola or bird flu.

Yes, it does appear hard to contract. The mortality rate is very high, which is what makes it so scary. And we know it can spread human-to-human, but the transmission mechanics are not yet known. It does not appear to spread easily at all, which is a good thing.

But testing remains inconsistent, so it's hard to know just how frequently it is spreading. And there remains the possibility of yet-identified "super-spreaders" . . . human carriers who do not appear symptomatic but can carry and spread the virus to many others.

And then there's always the possibility of a mutation that could change how it spreads and make the pandemic possibility more acute.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom